• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

I can see your point, but as long as we get 90-100no starters, no problems. Lets be honest, to achieve 76no entries wihin one week of the event opening is tremendous, and so encouraging.

We have really thought long and hard about the £85 entry fee, based upon previous experience we have not left alot of surplus for any unexpected issues. I am confident that we can bring the event in on budget. The organising team are very aware that many CT members are not flush with cash these days and really do want to put on an event that does'nt exclude those on tighter living budgets.

I know of quite a few RBRR Regulars who have not entered as yet.

Tim,

If money is becoming an issue (and I am sure that you are correct) then perhaps something could be saved by reducing the "quality" of the finishers awards, perhaps a certificate as against the expensive engraved award would help, and is there anywhere less expensive than Gaydon for the Drivers meet?

To be honest though the real cost isn't in the entry fees, its the fuel foremost, followed by food and accommodation before and after the event ( I know we are soft Midlanders' ;) )for those that do not live within a reasonable distance of the Plough.

I think it would be hard to make a sufficient reduction in the entry fee to make a realistic dent in the fuel and other costs - reducing the fee by say £20 out of the other costs of £500 or so probably isn't going to make someone change their mind about entering the event.

The best option I suspect is more teams of 3 or 4 - that does give a significant cost saving per person, and perhaps should be encouraged in some way.

mikew wrote:

The best option I suspect is more teams of 3 or 4 - that does give a significant cost saving per person, and perhaps should be encouraged in some way.

Whilst I agree that a 3 man crew was indeed a lot softer on the pocket, I have to confess that running with 3 peoples last year as opposed to 2 peoples the run before, didnt seem much of a challenge.

I had plenty of time to sleep, Theo had plenty of time to take pics and study the route and Davemate had plenty of time to provide us with numerous and varied sounds of gas type emissions from both front and rear exits.  :)

However, in view of the heavy fuel costs involved on a big saloon, we will probably end up as a 3 man crew again this run.  :-/  

tim_hunt wrote:
I agree with Steve, any more than two in a car is for softies -- but then I would say that driving a TR wouldn't I.

Tim

I wouldn't have said that putting up with Davemate for 48 hours in a small confined place was being soft  ;D ;D ;D

I did it as a 3........... once, on my first RBRR in 1996. Never again!

The 2 is more of a challenge, I found 3 a bit boring and civilised.

As you say, spreading the cost over 3 is cheaper, but lets me honest. Compared to the cost of buying, restoring and maintaining these cars, throwing £500 on a weekend doing the best club event ever, is worth every penny in my book!

only ever ran a three man crew once..well wasn't even that really..i had two cars and 5 people ..and that was mainly because Katie was still on L plates at the time...Katie doesn't want to use the saloon as she says it's too soft..so we're aiming for the spit...top down all the way

The real cost for Alan of using an Acclaim could not be measured in monetary terms alone.

Those who were there will long remember the welcome Alan received from the attendant at the fuel station just North of the Firth of Forth last year. That was worth the entry fees and fuel costs on its own, priceless.

Colin

AlanChatterton wrote:

As you say, spreading the cost over 3 is cheaper, but lets me honest. Compared to the cost of buying, restoring and maintaining these cars, throwing £500 on a weekend doing the best club event ever, is worth every penny in my book!

For some of us £500 is the entire budget for buying, restoring and entering the event!

This time I am squandering a little bit more.