Progress on participants cars

Erm, how did we get from 'progress on participants cars' to 'Confessions of a GT6 driver'?
Oh, well.

News from Andy "Crazy Horse" MacDonut is that he got the help of 3 horses from the field next to his workshop to put the TR6 spec engine in to the 'worksabit' on Saturday. Sunday it started first time (without exhaust it was a bit loud apparently). It's reading 400 horses at the boot trim (I think all this engine work has addled his mind).

We have Range Rover seats with arm rests for comfort, too!
(Ought to do something about an alternator conversion though!)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to West Kent area meeting last night, and saw Dave Kirk's Pi- not too bad - a mere flesh wound. So he will def. be doing the RBRR.

I hopefully pick my GT6 up on Wed. night from Steve W's dad- new headlining and sunroof repairs- MOT on Thur - Castle Combe on Sat (try not to bend it) - wrap up in cotton wool till the RBRR.

Just had a phone call from Doug Thompson (Crew no. 76). Unfortunately he has had to drop out, a real shame as his mk.1 is very nice. His brother is still flying in from Aus. to crew with Nigel Gair!

Just heard that Dave Tongue is struggling with his o/d g'box- good luck Dave.

That leaves us with 81 crews and cars (Last addition: Brian Kitley/Chris Bird- Dolomite- Crew no.92)- 82 cars-lets hope that they all make the start.

Met Jason Chinn and Craig Gingell last night, Craig and Keith B have been working hard on formatting a system to allow crews to text message both this forum and a section of the Canley Classic website with latest news- should be interesting. 
Thanks very much you two.

Good news that Ellis S seems to have overcome his problems, a real acheivement Ellis!

Thanks Tim... the new springs have now been road tested and I'm pleased to report they have cured the ride height problems and the propshaft knock I was getting. Clearly the old ones had sagged so much it was droping the prop that much out of line. Anyway, car felt very good on test run and still no signs of any fluids leaking !!! 

I think the run to Beaulieu at the weekend will be the testiment so fingers crossed.

Good luck to all you others out there with troubles.

Great to see Brian Kitley taking part... had bits off him for my Sprint engine (R.I.P.) :'(

Got the GT6 back last night.

My god, for the first time in nearly 21 years, the interior is more or less complete! What a great job Clive Waddingham has done.

Brought the car back from Wellingborough , good fun on the back roads to the M1, no worries on the M1, then hit the M25 to come to a grinding halt at 10.15. Eventually got off the M25 at 11.45 after moving at snails pace, coolant temperature went up to 100 C- got worried. Ducked and dived on back roads all the way home to Staines, getting home about 12.30. Once airflow went through the rad, coolant temp went back to 75 C and the car ran smoothly all the way home.

All that's left to do is MOT her and change the oil and check everything- Umm- Famous last words.

car 2 update - a second new clutch  :'(, new clutch fork etc, gearlever re-bushed and a replacement, second hand propshaft ( a bearing's gone in the old one apparently)  ::)

so, I pick the car up on Saturday, don't want to think about the cost :'( but the transmission should be pretty good ;)

More news on Patrick and Blake from Michigan.

GT6 is on the way calling at: Brunswick, Charleston, Baltimore, Antwerp, Bremerhaven and then Southampton!!!!!!! Still a bit overwhelmed by this- talk about commitment.

Mailed Dave Pearson, he still has not started on his car! Jason is getting a bit worried.

Nigel Gair has mailed a list of the spares that he will be taking- it's immense.

On the 10CR we took a spark plug (yes one) and a water pump - funnily enough Andy P had the water pump off us but never asked for the spark plug - Oh and we had some tape. That was the extent of the spares we carried - you just need chewy sweets and Dave's weord taste in music to keep you going  ;D

Good news, nice that you TR7 chaps are getting your cars together- I mean this!

Took GT6 to Castle Combe, apart from losing it big time going into Quarry (Only the second time I have spun my GT6- last time was 1985!), the old car performed very well.

Will MOT her on Monday- ticket runs out tonight- and that hopefully will be that- ready for the RBRR.

Must make mention of the following who took their RBRR entered cars around Castle Combe today and were not hanging around:
Keith Dandridge: Spitfire 1500 (Entered by son Karl)
Dave Walker: Vitesse, sporting a nice hard top.
James Elliott: 2.5Pi- as ever going like a train.
Mark Nixon: Dolomite Sprint: Only had it a month- already rebuilt the suspension and fitted a o/d gearbox!
Brian Kitley- Dolomite Sprint. Must have some good engine mods as car has 2 inch SUs fitted- goes very well.

This is the type of RBRR prep. that I like to see- give the car a good thrashing and then 3 weeks later drive it continously for 48 hours!

On the entry front, unfortunately Doug Thompson with his mk.1 Pi has had to withdraw, I think that leaves us with 81 cars- still a fantastic amount.

BTW any revisions to car or crew details that I should know about?

Car No. 19: Alex Chandler & Gwaredd Steele.

Pretty much a major overhaul has taken place over the last few months, including new water pump, head gasket, head de-carb, sump gasket, front crank oil seal, overdrive re-build, new rear brakes, new clutch pipe, radiator re-core, kenlowe fan moved & other sundry items & associated gaskets.

Just re-building the diff & fitting a new leaf spring this week & it should be ready to shakedown on the drivers meeting on monday. Doing pretty good on sponsorship too, & we may have even blagged a road angel unit in time for the run!

Fingers crossed!

Gwaredd.

OK a bit of progress on Team 14, Russell and David, Triumph 2000 MKII Estate.

Ever since buying the car last November the diff had been leaking a lot! So much so, that you would top up the oil to the level, then the next morning half of it was all over the garage floor. One trip to Santa Pod (to watch not to race!) back in May without checking the level had left the diff screaming blue murder between 30 - 60mph.

Eventually got round to replacing it with a second hand one last month, put a new front oil seal in it, but it still leaks a bit. I'm slightly annoyed, but it should be OK for the run.

Other major-ish problem was 10days ago, when the rotor arm snapped. Turned out the distributor had a tight spot in the bearing, causing it to twitch at push the arm against the cap. Have tried 4 suppliers (including Chris Witor) but none have a 25D or 45D of the right part numbers. So for the time being have put the 45D from my scrapped 2500TC on - seems to run OK!

Don't suppose anyone has a spare 2000 45D distributor, part no : 41452 they'd be willing to sell me as a back-up?

Also put some new Spax shocks on the back, to replace the existing Spax with seized adjusters. They're currently set to the softest setting (with Witor 575lb springs) but sense I may be tweaking them a bit over the next few days.

Russell.

The 'Worksabit' now has 'new' rebuilt 150bhp mk2 engine, alternator conversion, Range Rover front seats, Mountney wheel, new spotlights (replacing the ones from the 'incident'), soon to receive custom Andy Mac exhaust (Spit 4 backbox, 4 inch tailpipe and straight pipe from front ...! )

Still got to re-weld seatbelt mounts, decide whether to bother with rear sleeping quarters or single back seat, or mk1 back seat, fit 7 gallon back-up tank ... and basically disugst all MK1 saloon purists possible.
:(

I suppose some sort of map light might be worth having too.

Well the gutter six got two matching tail pipes tonight,a new nut a bolt behind the dash which had ratlled off during the rally,tommorow I will replace the front springs,replace the knackered head lights (see above for reason) bleed some fresh fluid through the clutch master and see if it goes black,possibilly fit the oil cooler,clean,tune ,general prep etc etc

Reply to Russell's distributor query
The Lucus 41378 25D6 has the same crank advance and vacuum advance as the 41452 45D6 unit I just checked the repair operations manual
are you going to the southern drivers meeting as I can bring a 41378 unit along monday

Archived