Progress on participants cars

Nigel,

Yes, I am going to the southern meeting and it would be fantastic if you could bring that distributor along.

My only reason for asking for another 45D type as a spare, was so I didn't have to carry 2 different sets of spare cap/points/condenser on the run - but in the scheme of things that's hardly much of an overhead.

See you Monday.

Russell.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Progress report on the V8 -
Having been apart for 5 years now there are loads of bits and pieces that need to go back on so whilst waiting for some proper workshop space Dave and I set about some of the trimming thta needed to be done. I'm amazed at how much unique sstainless steel trim there is on a 2000 - salvaging unique one use trim clips and finding the right piece fo stainless took ages. The C pillar vinyl trims had to be remade and that was no mean feat - the reat screen and gutter trims finished it off nicely. It does look much better now and with judicous use of NOS trim, chrome and window seals it's starting to come together. I even managed to find some matching wooden door cappings and an ashtray that stays closed.
Dave sometimes gets the local scrap man calling round to deliver an old Triumph the scrappy has found. These days the cars are so far gone that it's more of hinderance than a help but you can't say no as sometimes a saveable motor does turn up. Lucky for us there was some donor material around to help the preparation so I spent some time liberating what looked like a new radiator and numerous fixtures and fittings.
The now famous gearstick was found, in with a hand made prototype overdrive gearstick - interesting thing. Anyway, fitting a gearstick in made the cockpit look a little less weird and now it looks like we'll be able to select all 5 speeds  :-)
In these Mk3 developement shells the battery is in the boot, so we fitted that after finding a bettery that would physically fit, no mean feat! There's a lot more to do to get the thing to turn over but we needed the ramp and that wasn't free. There was nothing for it but to retire to the pub and thence on for a curry at Pearson Towers - that settled my dodgy stomach.
The long drive home in the Sixfire was fun, lashing down rain and dodgy wipers.
I'll be back up there on Tuesday for the driver's meeting having spent the day in the workshop - Id like to think we can at least fire her up, preferably wothout any actual fire involved  :o
As you can see from the attached, she's a little dusty but a good steam clean to start should sort that out. Now we need some black carpets - as you can see, we are starting with the essentials here, trim, carpets and ashtrays are most important on a little jaunt like the RBRR  -no one smokes, it's just a reflection of high standards  ::)

Well she needs her tracking sorting, but she's ready to roll.  Re-fitting of exhaust manifold for the 6th time and further tuning proved to be worth it as it sounds a lot better and seems to be smoother. We've even discussed who's taking what (over a couple of pints obviously !!)  ;D

Very Tony Pond Mr Raider . Just had mine MOT'd today , failed quite spectacularly, looks like i won't have time to change the engine but will be doing things like wheel bearings,new stub axle ,brakes,lights seatbelts and a few other things i can;t remember at the moment.Tim ,can i fax you my MOT and insurance stuff next week sometime?

Ah fitted the GT6 with a calibrated temp guage last night....which made the fuel gauge fail,not happy with that the indicators also stopped working! working in the half light of the lock up without a wiring diagram I  traced the fault to a blown fuse, in a inline fuse holder tucked up behind the fuse box hidden behind the parcel shelf?! do all GT6s have this,the fuse had blown as I had inadvertanly shorted a live to earth will "doing a james heriot" with my arm up the back end of the dash removing the old temp gauge

After the storm damage at the Weavers V8 preparation was halted as Dave and I spend most of Tuesday preparing the Museum for the briefing with Tim - I did get to have a huge bonfire though - enjoyed that. Then I got to clean all those chairs - I was knackered at the end of it all!
I won't now get up to Dave's again until the daye before the run.
Today's V8 preparation went really well,  I refitted the sunroof and got it all sealing nicely, al the trim is back on, headlights are in, needs a little welding underneath for the MOT and oh, yes, the engine is seized solid - the clutch was FUBAR too but that's fixed, ish.  Once the brakes are sorted we'll be invincible.
Anyone got a Rover V8 on carbs they could  err lend us please? Preferably something in the Coventry area :-)

Well it failed... :(

Nothing too major to worry about...

Brakes, indicators and horn stopped working somewhere between me checking them and the drive down there... hmm... fuse methinks!

Handbrake needs tightening - and the OSR trunnion has "excessive play"

Seats are "insecure" as there should be another washer... front exhaust bracket not holding anything... must be the gearbox one... and the VIN plate was missing - which I thought didnt matter on the cars of our age... but maybe it does...

Oh and the rear end clonks on braking...

HHHHHHhhhhmmmmmmmmmm... could have been worse though!

Progress on the V8, it's now in pieces on the workshop floor but Dave has to work on it as the carpark has been removed and he can't get anything in or out of the workshop!
It looks like new rings at the least, if the pistons are damaged then it may be a new set of  pistons - ooo, there's a 3.9 piston and liner kit for those V8s    8)
Confidence now significantly bouyed  ;D

Parts arrived from canley today ,fitted new stub axle and new bearings to off side front,it's not till you fit something new that you realise quite how shagged the old bit was.If i can get rid of the VAT lady early tomorrow then the new rear wheel bearing will go in plus one new uj.I've now managed to rope in a bit of help so the engine is def coming out sat .hopefully if weather is fine ,as i'm outdoors , it'll go back for a retest on monday! 

[quote by=doug_foreman link=Blah.pl?b=prep,v=display,m=1094053076,s=64 date=1095970094]Parts arrived from canley today ,fitted new stub axle and new bearings to off side front,it's not till you fit something new that you realise quite how shagged the old bit was.If i can get rid of the VAT lady early tomorrow then the new rear wheel bearing will go in plus one new uj.I've now managed to rope in a bit of help so the engine is def coming out sat .hopefully if weather is fine ,as i'm outdoors , it'll go back for a retest on monday!  [/quote]

:)Doug don't  forget to pack the flask!!!!  I know there will be enough coffee in it for the RBRR weekend and some left over ;D I haven't  forgot the 10CR, Berkeleys taking extra petrol and water just for you and Colin  :P  Hope everything goes well for you ;)

Right quick summary of car/crews news:
7. GT6- Doug Foreman- Engine change!
8. 2000- Dave Kent- withdrawn
27. TR4- Tim Hunt- Job done! Great news- fantastic-what a car!
35. 2000- Reeks/MacDonald- Good knows what Andy is up to at the mo., but he's got a welder and he's probably gonna use it!
41. 2000 TR8 proto. The Pearson. Engine in bits- my god fathers- its a worry!
44. 2.5pi/ Jimmy Elliot- crew have disappeared- Get a wriggle on and find some more masochists.
50. Vitesse- Richard Stubbs- Changing leaf spring.
51. TR7 V8- Malcolm Paris- Gearbox swap on the cards.
61. 2000 est V8- Roger Keys/Andy Everett - Working all weekend to get car back together.
69. James Carruthers- MOT Probs. Its a Spit. so no problems.
82. Irish Police 2000- Probably withdrawn! How bl**dy sad is that!
87. GT6. Pat Barber- Car at Southampton docks- Pat arrives on Wed.- Excellent news

I am not gonna say anything about any other cars as I don't want to tempt fate, but as far as I know no probs.
My car will be fettled this weekend, bit woried about going into the garage, prob find a pool of brake fluid under her. Def. gotta change the engine mounts this weekend.

The 'Spirit of the Run' award is already looking a difficult decision.

[quote by=Keith link=Blah.pl?b=prep,v=display,m=1094053076,s=66 date=1095980331]It was great to see Tim Hunt's car back on the road this evening at the TR meet,  the bodywork looks superb, and the only problem Tim was complaining of was a rattling window!

Keith[/quote]

Great stuff, I'm so glad it's sorted - the RBRR wouldn't seem right without it !!! ;)

The Spirit of the Run is Methylated and we'll be drinking it  soon.
In a bizarre way, I'm quite pleased other crews are in a similar predicament, I'm just a little frustrated that I can't get to the car before Thursday now - might have to take a detour and drop in again, Coventry is on the way home isn't it - I mean Norwich to Reading via Coventry, that's entirely reasonable :-)

Car No. 19 Update:

Diff rebuilt, new UJ etc all bolted in, ran up the road & the Head gasket went! At least, we hope it's the gasket & not a cracked head. Quick dash to Canley classics today to pick up a new one, fitting it tonight. Fingers well & truely crossed.

Also still need to investigate a strange rev limiter type effect that happens after 5500rpm. Bizaar!?

Gwaredd.

Archived