Progress on participants cars

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a shame - can someone write an article for him? - ghost write or something?

One of us can take photos for it easily enough...

Im not looking forward to the MOT - I still have a problem of my rear (braided) hoses being close to the hand brake - I may get some fuel pipe - or some clear tubing - and put it over the hand brake cable so he can't say they'll rub...

I'm starting to feel cursed now.  Drove the car to work today and the ignition light has started to stay on.  Not good news.  I've pinched the alternator from the 2L FHC and that has cured the problem.  What next  ??)

Good luck with the MOT James.

Malcolm.

ps.  what happened to Doug's GT6 then?

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=prep,v=display,m=1094053076,s=98 date=1096387978]Doug is now the proud owner of a Red 1982 Triumph Acclaim- e-bayed last night and brought home!!![/quote]
Yay! Another converted Acclaim driver! Congrats.

Our friend who bought Shaun from us has since bought another Acclaim, same colour as Shaun to drive whilst Shaun gets a new engine following a head gasket go. The head itself is damaged and Shaun's back on our driveway awaiting time to pull the spare engine from the garage and fit it.

Right - progress. Quite a lot of work's been going on. Some of it on Rupert:

1. Barry fitted spare stereo sub in boot. Removed carpets to put in wiring, and a spare graphic equaliser under the radio in the front. Now I can't get James' pushchair in the car at all. Apparantly this is an important feature (the sub, not lack of space). Free
2. Replaced both wing mirrors with ones salvaged from Kev.  Free
3. Pinched a hose off Shaun for the cooling system after one split. Free
4. Washed sleeping bag. Fiver
5. Washed Rupert. Free
6. Added Rick to insurance. Free (BTW Rick is the co driver. I believe he is responsible for introducing us to Acclaims)
Total cost: fiver

To do:
1. New wiper blades. Fiver
2. Clean windscreen. Free
3. Pinch rev counter cable from Shaun for Ashley Mills' RBRR Acclaim. Free
Total cost: fiver

Team Rupert

It's in there at the moment! Guess I'll get it back at about 5-6pm...

I've fixed everything that was on the fail sheet... took off an exhaust mount that he failed - as it wasnt connected to anywhere... but it was an extra one anyway - each section of the exhaust is held on to the body at some point.

If it doesnt pass I think I might give up and cry... or consider buying a tasty 2000 that is on eBay at the moment... heheh...

James

Well, the worksabit really was only working a bit according to Mr Macdonut, so it's being left behind in its barn while the big red bus makes its third outing on the RBRR ... but, with a new skipper!

So i've got a pretty relaxing couple of evenings in which to change brake pads, get the bonnet open and fit a new release cable, top up the oil, check the wiper fluid level, all the tricky jobs. Maybe fit electronic ignition off the GT6SORN. Oh I need to get the windscreen refitted too, as it's rather wet inside at the moment!

Woooo Hoooooo! well done mate, the V8 goes for an MOT tomorrow :-) Dave has installed the new engine in the repainted engine bay and was making the custom exhaust today. A bit of chassis welding needed on a rigger and the job's sorted - confidence at 60% at the moment, we may well turn up in the Chicane!
On the crew front, I collect my random American at 5am tomorrow and then nip up to Dave's hopefully to polish and titivate the car  :B

Great news James. Well done!

Greeks, get that Bonnet open!

Spoke to 'The Pearson' this lunchtime, building an exhaust system at present- he has his car booked in for a MOT tomorrow morn- Good on you Dave.

BTW have a look at their website- its like a homage to the RBRR.

News on Pat and Blake from Michigan: Pat's here, Blakes due to arrive tomorrow, GT6 is still at Southampton Docks- not cleared Customs!

I am going with Pat to pick her up tomorrow morning- Praying that they will release her!

My GT6 is as ready as a GT6 can ever be? Fitted a new alternator and got her tuned up by a good friend- she purrs now.

Looks like we will have 76 cars to do the event- How fantastic is that- well done to everyone who has struggled against problems and overcome them!

This weekend is going to be brilliant!!!!!

Been talking about the 'Spirit of the Run' award with Co-organiser Nigel Abdullah- it is going to be incredibly difficult to decide who will win this piece of silverware!

More news tomorrow.

Tim

Right I am back a day early from my break,mainly to get the loft finished for its carpet fit on Friday,which I have done I still have a few jobs to do on the GT6 but minor ones compared to some of yoy guys,dont worry I know how you all feel I had it in the run up to the Targa Rusticana,my reconking now is that if it survied that pounding it will get round the RBR hook or by crook,so I am in the London area and willing to help out any one near by (as long as the gutter six is ok!)
Graham- I have got some duckhams classic 20-50 for the bus and some STP which may help the glazed bore? try some "no-smoke" see you at the start,bring the blue box stuffed with the parts I gave you ....and spare plugs! She will be fine

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=prep,v=display,m=1094053076,s=98 date=1096387978]What a couple of troopers James and Doug F.
Doug is now the proud owner of a Red 1982 Triumph Acclaim- e-bayed last night and brought home!!!
[/quote]
I found Doug's new Acclaim on eBAY - £176!  No matter what you may think about Triumph's last car if it does the RBRR I'll be the first to cheer them over the finish line.  Errr  - assuming I get there of course  ;)

Malcolm.

[quote by=ajp25tc link=Blah.pl?b=prep,v=display,m=1094053076,s=112 date=1096489231]I have got some duckhams classic 20-50 for the bus and some STP which may help the glazed bore? try some "no-smoke" see you at the start,bring the blue box stuffed with the parts I gave you ....and spare plugs! She will be fine[/quote]

Well Tacheman,

I've got two and a half gallons of 20/50 already and 18 NGK so I reckon that ought to do it!

Bonnet release was hilarious (for my tiny mind anyway ... see elsewhere)

*mutters something about English weather*

Preparations have stopped today, before they even started - due to the cats and dogs outside...

Seats (drilling of floorpan), and centre console (drilling of that too) are the main things left... oh and getting the wheels balanced...

Archived