Progress on participants cars 2006

Blimey, it does come around a bit sharpish- only got 10.5 months to go!

Have been working on my car to get her ready for the track day at Donington park on 02/12/05 and from then on I will commence on getting her ready for the RBRR. I realise that this is all a bit early but as organiser I will not have much time before the event.

At pres. i know of at least 5 cars that are being built or re-built for the next RBRR- 2 or 3 of them will be absolute crackers. More will be revealed in due course.

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only preparation I'd need to do with Becky is to get her through the next MoT as her current certificate will expire before the run. My repaired alternator will be fitted long before then. Of course I could get either the Toledo or Baby Blue road legal for the run instead.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any news on any of the cars that are being (re-) built for the RBRR?

My GT6 has her new short engine and is ready for the second firing up session tomorrow- had a real problem with water in fuel- not sure where it came from- any rate just drained the tank of all fuel- what do you do with unwanted fuel?
Running in witha 500 mile round trip to Cornwall on Good Friday- back home, then torque the head again, drain the oil and off we go.

Ok Tim, you asked for it.

Here's BRP after it's bodywork and painting - no more sunroof, new solid body panels all round and the paint scheme I have always wanted for it. Note the roof aerial too ::)

I will now be slowly working through the list I made after the 10CR which is really tidying up the wiring, fitting a strut brace, maybe some fettling to the brake upgrade I did and then giving it a decent service.  I reckon the oil leak is bearable but we'll see.

Then it's use on Autotests and La Carrera.

Well, that's the plan - we'll see what actually happens

Hopefully fit the bonnet to the herald tomorrow .engine now  running ,have rebuilt the brakes ,just waiting for some brake lines from Bill at Raerbits and then once the lights are wired up it's off to the MOT man..Plus the GT6 needs an MOT in a week or so 

Well, after about 3 months of total inactivity on the Spitfire, Mrs Rumpith has now kindly agreed to loosen the purse strings on the family coffers (I'd be broke without her expert money-management!), so I'll be getting on with it now.

First job is to get the painting of the shell finished, then complete the engine rebuild. The head has already been skimmed, ported, polished and hardened valve seats have been done for unleaded. Also the cylinders have been honed, so now comes all the expensive bits - road-race cam, stacks, new piston rings, double timing chain, vernier flywheel, double valve springs, alternator, new rad and electric fan, electronic ignition, etc, etc...

Once the engine is rebuilt (and the overdrive box), the rolling chassis will be reassembled, and then I think we'll be on the home straight...

The Green Missile finally passed it's MOT last Thursday evening so I am legal again. Down to the workshop yesterday to drop some Mazda seats in (bugger of a job, why do people say they go straight in?) that should make things more comfortable than sitting on the tired remains of some 28 year old sponge and bits of bent pipe...). Oil cooler to go on next. Replaced clutch slave cylinder so now gear changes are not performed with a frantic pumping of the left leg and accompanying crunching noises. Engine revving sweetly enough but a couple of flat spots when actually under load so a little more tinkering required there and then it's off to Scotlandshire for the Run McJim as a tryout for the RBRR

we have booked in to do it in the 2000 but his Lordship in his infinite wisdom has decided he would really like to do it in my new Stag (Bambi?)
Unfortunately it is currently residing on the drive. sans interior, boot lid, bonnet, engine, hood and frame, needing arches, doors and panels etc etc etc. Plus it needs a total respray as I am changing the colour of it and the present paintwork leaves a lot to be desired.
How long have we got left? Anybody taking bets?

Done abit to the herald tonight and finally fixed the squeakly steering wheel.
Been looking at how to fit some more comfy seats but i can not get them how i want them. Not sure what to do about them yet, so will probably move onto something else.

update on the stag- now not got any wheels on....or any front or rear suspension on either!!!But have managed to pick up two replacement doors and a couple of panels to be fitted and sprayed. And more importantly, have chose a colour - conifer green I think. (Only problem there is, if I want a green hood to match there is a 15% surcharge on that colour.)

A spot of wiring - this will make room for the air horn switch needed for rallying (accessable for co-driver too) and sort out the rewiring needed to replace the temporary fix on the burn out headlamp switch.

Now the panel fits it is being painted - then I can start wiring everything up ::)

Archived