Progress on participants cars 2006

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=51 date=1148329174]Blimey!

Might see soem action on the Blog!!!!

Maybe not though.

Well done Nutter![/quote]

Thanks guys - yeah, OK fair enough I do need to bring it up to date - I need to write a few articles for the mag as well (lights and the quill shaft change)... that reminds me... I need to ask someone a favour !!!

Paint is finally done!!! I haven't seen it yet, but apparently it looks stunning!!!

This week I have been helping Dave Pearson's pension fund by buying a load of parts from Canleys (seriously, thanks to Dave for all his advice on various parts and upgrades):

Swing spring conversion kit including thicker front anti-roll bar
3/4" lowering block
330lb 1" lower front springs
Trunnion kits and bolts

Next parts order will be the Koni's (front and rear) and polybushes.

I'm getting the replacement calipers locally, just for convenience (they collect and deliver for free)

That will be almost everything in terms of parts (although I'll probably fit a new rad and a Kenlowe fan, new brake master cylinder, etc., and there are bound to be other odd bits and pieces).

I expect things to start taking shape very quickly now, and will be updating the blog a little more regularly!

Unleaded conversion
Tubular manifold
Ported and polished head
Double valve springs
Kent road/race cam
lightened flywheel
Stacks
double timing chain
Conversion to overdrive
anything else I can think of as it comes along!

Ahhhh. Problems.

The PI Saloon I am using currently needs;

One sill
One outrigger
One Hole in the front panel welding up
4 new tyres
Springs/shocks/polybush kit
engine/gearbox mountings
custom seat runners for the new seats
new exhaust
oil filter kit
oil pressure guage
new clutch
MOT
Tax
Insurance
Fettling

Perhaps I ought to actually do something rather than just starting it every weekend!

Tim. thanks for update. Phone numbers could be very useful. I am only just starting the preparation, let alone finishing. Dont keep giving the time factor,it only upsets me how quickly it is coming.Malc.

[quote by=Alex link=Blah.pl?b=prep,m=1132093984,s=62 date=1148661099]When I saw your name James I thought I'd be reading how you pulled out all the stops and now had a completed spitfire .Oh well guess you know what your doing! ;D ;)[/quote]

Mwahhaa - hysterical/nervous laughter is getting me through the situation...

If only I really knew what I was doing...

Almost ready (WHAT am I saying!!). Had the carbs balanced at the TR Centre in Wakefield and now she pulls like a train, much improved. Swapped out the tinted band windscreen for a clear one this morning (so I can actually see properly at night when sitting on the higher MX5 seats....) and just fitted a Frank Ashton intermittent wash/wipe system which works a treat. Well, it does after speaking to Frank and having him talk your cack-handed correspondent through some very obvious wiring errors...
Get the wire wheels balanced during the week and then it's a shake down run on the Carrera Caledonia next Friday woo hoo! 

Just got all the suspension and brakes changed on the herald.  ;D
Brakes feel a bit soft but think its air in the calipers. But now the petrol pipes started leaking  :'(
Doesn't  matter as couldn't go any where until the brakes are right anyway ;D
Hope i can get it sorted tomorrow as i want to drive it again! ;D
It just seams to have taken such a long time to do very little work :o

Car has passed its MOT with flying colours. 

I've had to have 5 new tyres fitted, and because I know the RBRR can be a bit wet(!) I've had 'wet weather' directional tyres fitted. Well in for a penny...

However this expense, plus a couple of other niggly bits that needed doing, has meant the suspension and bushes upgrade has had to be put off until I save up for another month or three!!

Well, the Spit passed it's MOT today, so is now officially back on the road and terrorising the streets of Norfolk.

There are no major jobs to do on it before the RBRR, but a few things I do want to get done include fitting an oil catch tank, wiring in my rear foglights, and fitting a pair of driving lights at the front.

Archived