Who's got what to do for 2010?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plugs just changed - all injectors good - will be checking tappets as soon as Jayne gets home and we have garage access - suspect valve - if so we have spare valves and headgasket ready to fit - if its a cam lobe we have a PI spitfire with 30 miles of testing post MOT - and no carpet - that will be a laugh LOL

car 18 is just about ready. Spent today dodging the rain and applying the stickers after a bit of a polish (couldn't do it myself, had to farm that bit out to one of the other drivers) Carpets fitted properly, and even got a hoover. The "modine" oil cooler is plumbed in and working, oil changed and all fluids checked/topped up. Bit worried about the amount of top-up required, but shpuld get us round.
Yesterday saw a set of decent wheels/tyres fitted, a fit of fettling here and there and so on. managed to break a spotlight, so an (expensive) trip to halfords for a matching replacement.
The lady wife has downloaded the satnav file, and I have had a 5 min look at the roadbook. Think we are good to go. Only fly is that I can't find a suitable spare alternator. Still, my Jap denso one should last the course. Fingers crossed!
Just snacks to buy now.....

Update car 87.
Metering unit thrust washer is cactus numbers 123 lean as hell and 456 rich as (evil) - thats OK we have a spare to chuck on - just hope it hasn't burnt a valve in the process - we have spare valves and a headset so no real drama - just spannering - camshaft is fine  8)
Doug is just off to get a compression tester off Mr Ellis so more updates soon.

On the bright side it should run a lot better by tomorrow some time - neither of us are really keen on the untried Spit with a 7 gallon tank in a deluge - and Chris Lennard would be surplus to requirements as he won't fit on the parcel shelf.

Snacks ordered tonight, got my missus to add them to the interweb Asda order she was doing so didn't have to lift a finger myself!

Egg & Bacon Bites, Pasties, Gingerbread men, Orange Energy Drinks....

Should be enough to keep going between the official breakfast, pie and cake stops!

I think a last minute head fix in 2006 when we fitted stainless valves to a S head with iron guides has come home to haunt us. Stainless on cast iron is obviously good for about 10000 miles  :(

We may have a PI head which just needs a good clean - no drama - car WILL be circum-navigating UK somehow - I knew my fingernails were too clean LOL

lagerzok wrote:
LOL LOL Fear of the 2.5PI spitfire is a strong incentive to get the saloon working! At least we now understand the problem - watching Battle of Britain show on SKY now and mulling things over on Stella  8) 8)

Mr Thopmson x2 if you get stuck I have a PI engine stashed at Mogden sewage treatment works Twickenham west london give me a shout if you need it or its head etc - cheers mr P

For nearly 6 years I have been waiting for this moment and it has finally come, seeing how it is 2010 and it seems to be the year to get things done ;D
I have fixed the head lights on the race car and now I have 2 low beam and 2 hi beam, that means 4 all working together on hi 8)
And who said I was so inept at electrics :P
Thanks Colin, you were my inspiration with all the headlights I got from you 2 months ago :-/ (all the terminals were crusty and full of blue powdery residue and loose!!!)
I feel so good, can hardly wait for mot time, I'll be able to say...You can check the lights this time ;D

Pete

After a bit of intensive spannering and cylinder head reconditioning (thanks for the exhaust valves Dale) we have a sweetly running PI with exchanged metering unit - just need to retorque head and adjust fuel pressure after tea and we are ready to roll YAY YAY LOL LOL  (dance)(dance)

Bit achey - getting too old for this lark

Archived