• Last Reply

Dolomite 1500se
    Just a few things to do
Some welding,brakes,diff oil seal, gearbox mounting,exhaust,service,
2 tyres, insurance, test, tax.
           it does start up though, suppose id best be getting started
                   not long now

Steve

I had a natter with one of our local TSSC guys (quite a handy chappie)
I am going to get him to have a play with the Toledo, sort the oil leaks from the head and refresh the gearbox with a bit of synchro swapping and so on. Plus maybe front/rear springs......
I know it sounds like a cop out, but I am desperately short of time for everything at the moment, and when not trying to earn some cash I hope to be driving the car (or monkey-minding) But should be done in time for the CT autosolo, that will be a good shakedown 8)

timbancroft61 wrote:
many cars are being used all year around and therefore can be assumed to be ready!

And some haven't seen daylight in 10 years.......  :'(

Any chance you can postpone it for a few months, give Mike a chance to catch up a bit????

I know it won't be tooo much effort for you, go on, please... pretty please....  :)

Overdrive - finally done.
Seat foam - passenger done, drivers to do.
Tune carbs.
Alternator - done, until the bottow bolt fell off!!!
Headlamps - done but might fail MOT on alignment.
Beer-fridge - to do.
Brakes - need bleeding again and worried about the regular supply of black stuff!
Windscreen - need to see if a can of halfrauds rain repellant is any good.

Oh yeah, and I need a co-driver!

DollyRoo is about ready as is.  However we have some upgrades planned.  Should all be ready in time.  Look for a Imporved and beter Dolly!   As Peter Fern is now part of the team wave as we pass you.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Still too early, most seem to leave it until the last week before they start upon their cars!!!

Seriously, owing to the amount of CT activities these days, many cars are being used all year around and therefore can be assumed to be ready!

The estate is one such example of what Tim is talking about, 525miles last weekend..... not an unusual occurence.
But, this does take its toll on bodywork, and with the MOT in July and a couple of holes appearing in the underside of the sills, it's time for a bit of surgery, prevention being better than a cure.
Went to see Pete at Yorkshire Triumphs yesterday and the estate is penciled in for start of July. Pete said some patches would have sufficed for the MOT, but with plans to keep the car for many years to come, I want to sort the sills for more than a couple of years! Also the structure of the estate depends greatly on the integrity of the sills and I do use the jacking points!
The join of the back of the sills to the floor and indeed all of the back of the sills appear fine, the inner is unknown except that the horizontal section is holed in a couple of places, and I already have some Stanpart outers ready to complete the job.
Anybody have any inners that they don't need, and front wing corners where they cover the sill extension behind?

Cheers Colin.

PS I may upgrade the lighting a little as the standard loom fed sealed beams are very dim after the relay fed halogens on the pi, even relaying them would give a better output due to a higher voltage going in.

Finally put on the new exhaust bought last year.

The BMW was off the road for a couple of days, so used the GT6 instead on the 90 mile commute to work.

What a difference!!!

Thanks for the advice, Tim and Canleys. :)

I can actually hear myself think now and don't have a splitting headache for hours afterwards.

A few more tweaks have the engine running a lot smoother although, I suspect, the timing is miles out as there's no top end urge.

A bit more sound deadening will make the car even more relaxing on long distances and, if funds prevail, a respray is on the cards.

Don't despair Greeks, the colour will stay the same!

Overdrive has stopped working since last used earlier in the year.

Have changed the switch as the old one was a bit sticky but no result.  More investigation should resolve this.

But the best part was getting the GT6 back out for a couple of days of hard driving.

Biggest job now for me is to get the heater working.  Changing the heater valve and flushing the system had no effect.

A new matrix from Canleys may be required or I might get one of those plug-in ceramic heaters just to provide some relief from the cold in October if all else fails.

Was great to meet Nick Dawes, who rebuilt the car some years ago at Gledrid on the last RBRR, but I was a bit knackered and in a bit of a daze and now wish that I asked him a few questions on the heater system as air only seems to blow through the passenger face level vent.  Will need to pull it all apart to get to the bottom of the heating and ventilation problems.

Anyway, slowly getting there and me and my co-driver, David Huddy, can't wait for the off from the Plough.

Jim.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

tiggrr1 wrote:
I'm chilling out this year while Rob gets the Spifire ready ;)

but if you need any help Rob.................................

Fingers crossed this year I will be doing a full service and fitting the new calipers/discs. It may need a new rear trunion.

I may give you a Shout Steve for a hand ;)

Well I'm removing some interior trim this evening, before taking the estate to yorkshire triumphs tomorrow evening with a lot of sill replacement panels.
New Stanpart outer and earlpart inners, and the where with all to replace front sections of the rear arches and the front wing bottoms.
Can't wait to see the results, and photograph the progress as it happens. It's a job that I only want to get done once and using the right parts and the right person to do the job will achieve this.

Roll on the RBRR

Colin.

Replace front springs/shocks/trunions.
Re-foam seats.
Drivers seat won't stay upright, could take a laid back approach but co-driver might not approve.
Fit stereo.
Fix headlights as they packed up driving home last night.

Buy torch or get new bulb for interior light. 8)

Simples...

1937 wrote:
Replace front springs/shocks/trunions.
Re-foam seats.
Drivers seat won't stay upright, could take a laid back approach but co-driver might not approve.
Fit stereo.
Fix headlights as they packed up driving home last night.

Buy torch or get new bulb for interior light. 8)

Simples...

Oops. Forgot to mention replace soft top!

Good news and bad news:

DollyRoo took quite a beating on the 10CR.  After replacing the fan the car did me well for the week after the run.  Those who saw her rad know how chewed up it was.  Hard to beleive it did not leak!  New Sprint one has been installed.  On the last RBRR and the 10CR she was leaking a little engine oil.  Turns out number 4 cyl has low compression.  It has been decided that a replacement engine will be installed.  The engine has been sourced and all is almost ready.  Sorry to say it will be the orignal size and not the 2L TR7 of the past.  Dolly has had some brake work along with her exaust adjusted for more ground clearance.  The rear fender's will also get some attention.  The car goes for it's MOT soon.  Slight chance the steering rack will get replaced.  I am told that no matter what DollyRoo will be ready in time.   Me thinks I will try to source a Sprint engine before we do the next 10CR.  I would like to find a replacement rear seat back.  Must be tan with arm rest as Dolly's is sun bleached and torn along the top.  Thankfully Carl is up to all this.  I don't know how I would cope without him.  

• 2 weeks later...

Spitfire is in for it's MOT today, it hasn't really turned a wheel in anger since it's return from last years 10CR, but it has had the head gasket replaced, tubular manifold fitted, new jets on the carbs since then, so I'm keeping my fingers and everything else crossed today! Took it for a quick run around the village to sort out any other unknown gremlins and it sounds very good! Only thing not working is the radio!

The Spitfire passed its MOT with flying colours! Just need to decide whether to refit the Aley Roll Bar for additional safety on the RBRR - I took this off for the 10CR last year to give a bit more recline on the seats (MX5). Think I may refit it and see what my co-driver thinks.

No point in repairing the radio, the sports manifold and exhaust  make it superfluous! ;D

GTRoger wrote:
booked the hotel and ferry, all we now need is a Triumph that does.

Will be good to see you here Roger and your GT6?

My Dolomite passed its MOT today but could do with the propshaft centre carrier replacing and a new oil seal on the timing cover, and must get the sprint wheels and new tyres on it.

Archived