Who's got what to do for 2012?

While the RBRR fever is among us I thought I'd start the usual thread.

So come on, who's got what to do?????  :)

I'll start it off.

First choice car (yellow Peril)

Cure the vibration on the nearside front that comes in at 30-40mph while accelerating and decelerating
Cure the vibration that occurs everywhere at 70mph
fit new tyres all round after knackering them on the autosolo.
fit a CD player
Replace shock absorbers (and maybe springs too?)
fix power steering leak
finish eradicating the rust (the bits you can see anyway  ;))
finish body work and respray.

I'm sure there will be other bits that will break or fall off in between now and next October so I'll just add them to the list as I go along.  ;D

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mikew wrote:
You don't really want my to do list do you?

mike

It's Ok for you to wait a couple of months before starting your list, it will depress all of us when we realise how much you get done before the event.

As for me,

I have booked in the Mk1, so I need to cure the mis-fire.

If I take the Mk2, well suffice to say Mike Weaver has a head start on me... :-)

Tune it up, 1500 seats (more comfy?), possibly make it quieter, ipod connection, speedo fix, welding (needs doing before December preferably!), four new tyres at least, get the co-drive used to the car :)

Oh, and some discrete spot lamps and relays for the headlamps :)

Alex wrote:
Have you two not finished those cars yet!
I suggest you just pull your fingers out and get some miles on them before october!

I think my misfortunes and delay are due to a cunning plot by Alan - he recommended the paintshop that I used  ;)

However Andy Roberts Chair of the 2000 register may have the last laugh, because he still has Alan's engine in lots of pieces scattered over his garage floor, I think a few crates of brown ale (or similar) may persuade him to loose a few critical components for a year or so  ;D

mike

Have booked in with the Stag. LT77 gearbox is in with custom prop, just need to cable up  the speedo and have it calibrated.

Sort the brakes, new master cylinder, calipers and hoses.

Replace collapsing engine mount.

Fix leaky diff.

Hopefully all this will be done before the HCR so I can get some miles on it.

Other nice-to-have would be alternative seats with headrests, not worried about originality but don't want anything too bulbous and sofa-like. Anyone fitted MX5 seats to a Stag?

Russell.

(oh ... and start piggy bank saving for fuel!)

RussellBanyard wrote:
Have booked in with the Stag. LT77 gearbox is in with custom prop, just need to cable up  the speedo and have it calibrated.

Sort the brakes, new master cylinder, calipers and hoses.

Replace collapsing engine mount.

Fix leaky diff.

Hopefully all this will be done before the HCR so I can get some miles on it.

Other nice-to-have would be alternative seats with headrests, not worried about originality but don't want anything too bulbous and sofa-like. Anyone fitted MX5 seats to a Stag?

Russell.

(oh ... and start piggy bank saving for fuel!)

Russell,

Speak to Floyd regarding seats- 3 series BMW coupe seats. An easy fit apparently?

391 wrote:

Russell,

Speak to Floyd regarding seats- 3 series BMW coupe seats. An easy fit apparently?

They go in with out to much grief, the hole pitch is correct front to back, but the width needs to be made wider with a couple of flat plates bolted to the runner on the side nearest the door which then picks up on the existing holes.
The only snag with them is that they are slightly higher and if you have a long body your head will be close to the roof, I've managed to find a comfy position if I recline them a bit more than I would normally, I don't know if you can see that in the picture. bit of a hike for you to try them, but next time I see you (start of the HCR) have a go and see what you reckon.
Floyd

FloydP wrote:

The only snag with them is that they are slightly higher and if you have a long body your head will be close to the roof, I've managed to find a comfy position if I recline them a bit more than I would normally, I don't know if you can see that in the picture. bit of a hike for you to try them, but next time I see you (start of the HCR) have a go and see what you reckon.
Floyd

Hi Floyd, that is my concern, I don't really want to sit any higher than the standard seats. When I refurbished the seats in the TR6, I ended up taking half the foam out again as I found my head was too close to the top of the screen.

It will be a while before I change them, so it would like to give yours a quick sit at the HCR. They do look good though!

Russell.

2.5Pi mk1 (SU); Change back to Pi-er nah!

Otherwise re-furb the Revolution wheels and fit some trim that is still to be done following the paint job in 2007!!!

(Umm, might need to ask Richard and James to do some sill welding).

One thing I am dead pleased about is how fast she seemed on the A3 coming back from Goodwood on Monday evening, the new head is working well!! Thanks to AJP and Roy Burrell!

Hmmm.... my co-driver's mum said today "Wait, 'Reliability'?!? How does that work? You're in your triumph aren't you?"
Me: "yes...."
Turns out she had a Toledo (which rusted to nothing, she filled "with cement" and sold for £50) and a TR7. Which she crash rather amusingly....

So yes, lots of enthusiasm from my parents and from Aidan's parents...

but

HERE COMETH THE A-TEAM OF As!!!

There's something about mothers and impugning the reliability of Triumphs.
Typical Thanksgiving family reunion from my past:

My mom:  "You're not driving the Triumph to Atlanta!  It will break down!"
Me:  "Umm, I just drove it from Mobile to Portland, Oregon and back, diagonally across the USA, and no problems..."
Mom:  "YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE THAT!  YOU DON'T KNOW IF IT WILL MAKE IT OR NOT!'
Me:  "I've been driving it every day for years and it's fine..."
Mom:  "That doesn't mean it won't break down!"
Me:  "It's more reliable than that Honda you had to have that's still sitting in the garage waiting to be towed to the dealership again..."
Mom:  "THAT'S NOT THE POINT!  WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THE TRIUMPH!  
Me:  "It's a great car, no problems."
Dad:  "Now, now, let's not argue, but while we're on the subject and Bill is here, we can rent a tow dolly from the gas station and Bill can tow the Honda to the dealership.  The Volkswagen camper needs to go, too."
Me:  "OH NO, I'M NOT TOWING ANYTHING WITH THAT CAMPER.  I'M NOT EVEN GETTING IN THAT THING AGAIN."
Dad:  "Well, the camper doesn't start, so it has to be towed.  You can use the truck and tow your mother's Honda, then come back and take the camper."
Me:  "TOW THE CAMPER?  IT ALMOST KILLED ME DOING THAT LAST TIME!"
Dad:  "Well, you had to tow it with the Monza last time, which probably wasn't a good idea.  It will probably be fine towing it with the truck."
Me:  "THAT CAMPER WRITHES LIKE A SNAKE WHEN IT'S BEING TOWED, AND WHEN THE WIND HITS IT, IT DOES EVERYTHING IT CAN TO JACKKNIFE.  YOU NEED TO GET A FLATBED."
Dad:  "Oh, maybe not this time.  I'm sure it will be fine behind the truck."
Mom:  "I HATE THAT TRUCK.  I WISH IT WOULD JUST FALL OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH."

Hours later, nearing the middle of the night when the harrowing and complex car towing/swapping ballet is completed, nothing approaches the feeling of relief and safety of getting in the Triumph, pulling out the choke, and contemplating the pleasant drive leaving the automotive madness farther and farther behind.