Who's got what to do for 2012?

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have the choice of having not much to do apart from general checks and fluid changes or a megasquirt efi and ignition system and 6-3-1 manifold to fit and get running well.
All sounds easy except for two minor problems.
The megasquirt etc is all at my Dad's 200miles away.
I go in to hospital on the 25th of this month for ankle surgery which will see me off my feet for a few weeks.

At least the surgery is now not August!

Colin.

I expect some welding will be in order too as the handbrake lever feels like it has ripped it's mountings a little.

So far I have added headlight relays and osram nightbreaker bulbs. I have also fitted two 100W driving lamps behind the grill.  I have new tyres fitted all round as my others were 9 years old. I will be fitting an oil cooler soon.
Will do a complete service around Aug/Sept time.

I am starting to suspet that the PI has changed it's 10-a-day habit into a 60-a-day habit.

Doing some oil consumption testing this weekend hopefully.

If bad news either a quick rebuild on the head, or buy large quantities of Wilco cheapo recycled chip-fat oil.

If it;s gonna smoke, it might as well make me feel hungry at the same time.... :-)

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:

Doing some oil consumption testing this weekend hopefully.

If bad news either a quick rebuild on the head, or buy large quantities of Wilco cheapo recycled chip-fat oil.

i think Alan is best placed to advise on replacement oil for the RBRR, and how to get your mates to deliver it enroute

mike

AlanChatterton wrote:
Still hoping to have the Stag Estate finished in time for the RBRR............ but, just incase

Just bought another little gem as a back up RBRR car...............!

So I'll ask then....what you bought?

AlanChatterton wrote:
No, I broke two very expensive Audi's......... one mine, one brand new A6 Quattro!

Opps!

Mine fixed and back, other one........ not quite!

As for Acclaim, its a Triumph, and it gets me on the RBRR........... nuff said!

Bradley is not so sure............!

Oops indeedy!!

Flat caps at the ready? ;D

AlanChatterton wrote:
No, I broke two very expensive Audi's......... one mine, one brand new A6 Quattro!

Opps!

Mine fixed and back, other one........ not quite!

As for Acclaim, its a Triumph, and it gets me on the RBRR........... nuff said!

Bradley is not so sure............!

Sounds to me like a Top Gear challenge, when their chosen car fails they have to use a less desirable car to complete the challenge, if you don't get Libby finished, you have to use ..........an Acclaim ??)

Work on the rally car was complete and the plan had been to unearth the TR7 from its garage and get to work on it. But the rally car is back in bits after destroying the crown wheel and pinion and gearbox casing on an event.
I will get started on teh TR sometime soon..........

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm going to struggle for jsut insurance! FJ's renewal this year is, and remember, this is after a year of no claims, no accidents, sticking to their terms etc etc....

£1444...

WHAT.
THE.
ACTUAL.
FLIPPIN' 'ECK!??!?!

Last year was £951, I kinda thought insurance went down?  ??) ??) ??) ??)

darrenspitty wrote:
The 2000 is with Dale for 'The Final Torquedown' its been running well including completing a 700 mile road trip in appaling weather. 'never missed a beat'. Oh dear I appear to be talking in song titles apologies to Europe and the Kaiser Chiefs.

Is it me proof yet?

Just got back from collecting "Arnie", the "Acclaim-inator".

Okay, so it will never replace a 2000/2500/2.5/V8 in my stable....... but I have to say, its pretty amazing!

Needs a set of decent tyres, some wiper blades and a couple of annoying rattles sorting out, but my RBRR car is now ready!!

• 4 weeks later...

Finally cured what I thought was an ignition problem that had afflicted the gt6 since stoneliegh, it would only happened after the car was warm and made it splutter and back fire above 2.5k revs a new coil, plugs, leads, cap, rotor arm all failed to cure it but success today I stripped down the carbs and found the choke mechanism wasn't returning properly which explains why it's been so eager to start without any choke. Popped new valves in the fuel pump as I was stinking of petrol from the carbs it seemed like the ideal time.
Test run this afternoon and it was happy to rev to 6k revs so I'm massively happy, still a few more jobs to do, most pressing being the prop shaft uj's but fingers crossed its all going well.
Cheers,
Floyd.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a new unleaded cylinder head, gearbox and overdrive, hopefully to reduce some of the oil consumption she's a bit smokey on start up and overun....gearbox and overdrive showing signs of age otherwise took her down to Coventry and back on the M6 today and she's real sweet, very happy in cruise mode at around the legal limit.......

Well it seems I broke the PI on Monday , I suspect the strain of hauling 3 fat blokes and a mountain of luggage down the LeMans and back again (but with added ill-gotten gains on the way back) was too much for it.

Either a UJ or Driveshaft or teh diff.

And itneeds a new coil, and a new steering rack.

Best get me finger out!

:-)

thescrapman wrote:
Well it seems I broke the PI on Monday , I suspect the strain of hauling 3 fat blokes and a mountain of luggage down the LeMans and back again (but with added ill-gotten gains on the way back) was too much for it.

Either a UJ or Driveshaft or teh diff.

And itneeds a new coil, and a new steering rack.

Best get me finger out!

:-)

Which one? Green or Blue?  PI that is, not finger.