Who's got what to do for 2012?

thescrapman wrote:
Well it seems I broke the PI on Monday , I suspect the strain of hauling 3 fat blokes and a mountain of luggage down the LeMans and back again (but with added ill-gotten gains on the way back) was too much for it.

I share your pain sincerely..........

A rolling road session at Mowatts yesterday confirmed my suspicions and that my newly rebuilt engine has some serious rumbling noises of the big end variety!
(Just for info, It recorded 109 bhp at the rear wheels, but they didnt want to take it over 5000 revs because of the rumbling!)

Engine removal(Again!) is planned over the next few days  :(

I'd better not sell the estate just yet!  :-/

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

391 wrote:

I share your pain sincerely..........

A rolling road session at Mowatts yesterday confirmed my suspicions and that my newly rebuilt engine has some serious rumbling noises of the big end variety!
(Just for info, It recorded 109 bhp at the rear wheels, but they didnt want to take it over 5000 revs because of the rumbling!)

Engine removal(Again!) is planned over the next few days  :(

I'd better not sell the estate just yet!  :-/

Oh dear, that's not good news.  Oddly enough, when you were behind me a few Wednesdays ago, going round the Dengie, I thought I heard rumbling/knocking behind me but thought it couldn't be you as you'd just had a freshly rebuilt engine. I assume it's going back to Carlow's?

sparky_spit wrote:

Oh dear, that's not good news.  Oddly enough, when you were behind me a few Wednesdays ago, going round the Dengie, I thought I heard rumbling/knocking behind me but thought it couldn't be you as you'd just had a freshly rebuilt engine. I assume it's going back to Carlow's?

I'm not sure who it's going to yet. I have spoken to Carlow's regarding the rumbling noise, but the response I've had hasn't exactly filled me with confidence nor trust. Once the engine's out and the sump is off and I know exactly what the problem then I can decide my course of action.

For the time being, the estate will have to be kept as a RBRR back up car.  :-/

Test drive number 1 completed at the weekend, took the PI to the lakes for a 600 mile shake down....... the overdrive packed up, and I had an air locked injector, kwik call to Dave Saunders diagnosed the box to be a blocked filter in the overdrive, so did a mid way pit stop via friends garage to unblock the filter, this meant I had a full range of gears again.

The fuel consumption was alarming with no O/D. a lot better with the overdrive, just need to train the fiancée to keep of the loud pedal.....

The Porsche driver nearly SH=t his pants when he saw a PI in his mirror waiting to get past, I need to fix my speedo too as the speedo reads 75 / 80 but the tom tom said more than enough to leave my trailing friend in his golf bluemotion standing??? it begs the question what sort of monster is the PI at full tilt.

Really impressed with the car, the oil cooler and kenlowe fan really helped keep it at a nice constant temp on the journey too.

Bring on the RBRR....

1344 wrote:

Trust us to pick the only good one when we checked !
I wonder how the engine builder will try and wriggle out of this.

To be honest Dave, I have lost total faith and trust in them and might not even bother taking it back to them. Sure, they'll probably do it all under guarantee, but will I end taking the engine out  yet again two months later? I will have a good think before I make my decision.  :-/

I wont tell you the make of the bearing manufacturer outright, just that most of live in one and we have to go through as many of them as possible on the HCR. Now I've given you enough clues here so make them COUNT.You with me?  ;)

thescrapman wrote:
I suspect Steves bearings are the Tin/ally ones rather than the tri-metal.

Crank is alledgedly still on STD's.

Very careful measuring needed I think.

Cheers

Colin

I don't think they can be. If they were tin/alloy ones you would not see the copper. Only tri-metal ones will wear through to the copper like this?

If they are on standard size, then yes, they will need very careful measuring as something is definitely not right here.

Steve - I've got a set of 4 micrometers going from 1" to 4" if you want to borrow them?

391 wrote:

To be honest Dave, I have lost total faith and trust in them and might not even bother taking it back to them. Sure, they'll probably do it all under guarantee, but will I end taking the engine out  yet again two months later? I will have a good think before I make my decision.  :-/

At least get them to supply any new bits you need,
Bearings and a full gasket set should be a minimum.
Why should you have to pay,your choice if you don't want them to assemble it.
I don't think I would let them near it, I would ask for a donation towards the cost for someone else to
put it back together though !

jcarruthers wrote:
Is it really the bearings fault? I have County bearings in my 2 litre and its fine. I'm sure there are lots of other 2.5s that have done more than 2000 miles with County bearings.

Much more likely to be the machining?

I suspect not, but finding four of the six conrods loose wouldn't have helped!  Also, the bearings with the most excessive wear don't seem to fit the caps properly?

Ah, ugly......  What about the mains?

Standard bearings on a reground crank?  Big ends of con-rounds not round?  Insufficient oil reaching them?  You have to remove ALL oil-way plugs and the oil-pump drive bush to be sure the oil ways are clean.  Do you have an oil pressure gauge, where is it connected and what was it reading?  Also possible they just fitted a new oil pump and it's one of the crappy ones that doesn't actually pump much......

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
Ah, ugly......  What about the mains?

Standard bearings on a reground crank?  Big ends of con-rounds not round?  Insufficient oil reaching them?  You have to remove ALL oil-way plugs and the oil-pump drive bush to be sure the oil ways are clean.  Do you have an oil pressure gauge, where is it connected and what was it reading?  Also possible they just fitted a new oil pump and it's one of the crappy ones that doesn't actually pump much......

Nick

Dont know about std bearings on a reground crank Nick. Lots more investigation and measuring to do.

The mains are fine. No marks or scores at all. The oil pump was the one that was in there already and is a CW blue printed item.

391 wrote:

Dont know about std bearings on a reground crank Nick. Lots more investigation and measuring to do.

The mains are fine. No marks or scores at all. The oil pump was the one that was in there already and is a CW blue printed item.

That's all rather odd then........  Hope my new ones (done about 15 miles so far) last alot longer than yours!!

Nick

391 wrote:
While the RBRR fever is among us I thought I'd start the usual thread.

So come on, who's got what to do?????  :)

I'll start it off.

First choice car (yellow Peril)

Cure the vibration on the nearside front that comes in at 30-40mph while accelerating and decelerating
Cure the vibration that occurs everywhere at 70mph
fit new tyres all round after knackering them on the

Get a new car by the sounds of things!
fit a CD player
Replace shock absorbers (and maybe springs too?)
fix power steering leak
finish eradicating the rust (the bits you can see anyway  ;))
finish body work and respray.

I'm sure there will be other bits that will break or fall off in between now and next October so I'll just add them to the list as I go along.  ;D

Well things went from bad to worse, i broke the backup car on Wednesday, Diff gone in that as well, only worse!

Came off the A12 and a banshee came wailing up behind us... :-(

Suspected no oil in diff, confirmed when I got home and smelt the grass where it had been parked.

Seems the new oil seal didn't last very long.. :-(

So for the first time in many years I become "working Triumph-less" as the gearbox in the Spitfire failed going to the Autosolo.

:-( :-(

Been out in the garage starting the repairs on teh Spitfire, and got 17 days off work, so should see some progress... :-)

The trip to CLM proved that the old Saloon needs some attention:

UJs to Prop.
Finally get the throttle linkeage sorted-this has been a pita since purchase in '94.
Tune the car
Sort out some of the rust that is starting to show its ugly head. Usual places: NSR wheel arch and NSF wheel arch.
Dashboard wiring bodge

Otherwise just make the car look smart.

Only used the 2.5 for one of my 7 RBRR completions, found the event relatively easy in her. That explains why 33% of the cars taking part are big saloons.