thescrapman wrote:

I stand to be corrected, but I beleive your exact words were "I am never ever going to do the event ever again, it has just been too much grief and hassle... :-)

Cheers

Colin

And corrected you will be - I said words similar to above in relation to le mans, not RBRR!   ;)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spitfire2500 wrote:
A 2000TC, a s***load of welding, a respray, complete front and rear suspension overhaul, gearbox rebuild, new diff seals, drive- and propshaft overhaul...and I'm sure there'll be loads of stuff I don't know about yet  

Oh, and frequent progress reports to Glenn and Dan  

Very much looking forward to watching Bill's lovely white TC restored to its former glory for the 2014 run.  Hoping I can visit to admire the work in person, and of course I'll be taking my boiler suit in case I'm allowed to lend a hand!

Meanwhile I'll be in charge of sorting out a backup vehicle.  This might be my red 2000, although this morning I spotted an Acclaim near where I live which is almost certainly for sale....  That's a plan then I think.  Bill - you need to finish your 2000TC otherwise it will be RBRR 2014 in a Honda!!

Alex wrote:
This is one group of people that I'd love to see on the run!
Glenn I know is desperate to do this event .....so desperate he tries to marshall all of scotland!
Next time!!

Ha ha - not quite "all of Scotland".  Mike, Graham and I were only at 40% of the Scottish controls.  Definitely need to make it to 100% next time!

;D

Rust_Spot wrote:

Hoping I can visit to admire the work in person, and of course I'll be taking my boiler suit in case I'm allowed to lend a hand!

Pair of floorpans and outriggers ordered from Earlparts this afternoon. A line seems to have been crossed somewhere -- the inactivity of the last two years is becoming a distant memory  :X

Glenn -- I should warn you that should you ever arrive here with a boiler suit I will find plenty for you to do. In fact, I suspect you may somehow find it very difficult indeed to [s]escape[/s] return home ;D ;D

thescrapman wrote:

to find a car that has never taken part before and do something stupid like entering it....

:-)

You mean like this one?  :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150930410410?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D150930410410%26_rdc%3D1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks! She's now MOT'd and running nicely. Nice daily driver. New carpets should be here soon, then she'll be well Gucci. At some point I'll do a halogen conversion on the headlamps and do an unleaded conversion on the head, and she'll be perfick.

So now just waiting for RBRR2014 registration to start. Mad? Yup. 😆

• 3 weeks later...

Super looking car colonel - it would indeed be good to see such a rare survivor on the next Round Britain. Be sure to get your entry in immediately on receipt of the entry form!

Great pictures on your web page but I feel I should point out that based on your figures 0.0009343 is the fraction of cars that survive on the road. This equates to 0.0943%.

Don't you just love a smart ass!

Tim

• 1 month later...

My GT6 Mk2 restoration is once again progressing.  It's now had it's inside painted, so it's essentially now exterior painting, interior fit-out + whatever engine work might be needed.  There's also exhaust, wheels and some ancilliary mechanical bits to choose and fit.  It's starting to look like a realistic possibility for 2014 now!    

Here's a photo from today.

• 1 month later...

Car purchased that will probably be my RBRR car next year. Russet Brown 1500HL Dolomite with overdrive AKA "The flying log" . It's only done 49,000 miles and is an RBRR veteran as it used to be owned by Darren Sharp who completed the 2008 RBRR in it.

Main reason for purchse was to have a 4 seater Triumph to be able to go to Triumph events with the kids but as a useful coincidence it also makes a great RBRR car, two birds with one stone etc :-)

yeah but they work better that way around as they can be seen from the side. Not that I fitted them, that was the previous owner. Had an exhaust flange gasket to change on it this evening and found that the manifold thread had stripped for one of the studs, and it had already been tapped out larger. As per my blog, I bit the bullet and ordered a nice reconditioned unit from Chic Doig tonight. Last thing I want to be doing is changing a manifold flange gasket in the rain at the roadside in the Scottish wilderness on the RBRR so needed a proper repair rather than a bodge...So some proper RBRR prep work going on already :-)

Tim,

With the Dolly it will allow the option of a 3 man RBRR team, plus it will use less petrol than the GT6 as well. Plus the GT6 is in the bodyshop next week having the bits that were damaged back in the 2010 RBRR repaired, (plus some rot on and below the tailgate)  don't want to tempt fate and use it again quite so soon after getting it back to tip top condition.

• 2 weeks later...

cook1e wrote:
Another important bit of prep work for the RBRR completed, I've agreed with the ex Missus that she'll have the Kids for the weekend.....
Without this I'd have to take an 11 and 13 year old along on the run!

I may, or may not have that particular piece of prep to do..... need to check the dates, but I can't see how I'm going to get me, co-driver and 2 kids in a Spitfire if she doesn't agree!

Also have a gearbox rebuild and a hardtop refurb to complete before we do the run!