• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for any confussion.im doing all the jobs i have been meaning to do for the last couple of years on my 2000. I havetaken the rear suspension, subframe and diff out. Found driveshafts need rebuilding, diff needs resealing and most of the rubber bushes need replacing. Lots of work with little spare time to do it! Hence the comment 'what have i started'! Again, sorry to confuse.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Reconditioned carburettors fitted. As a result the engine now pulls much stronger. Well done Roger.
And after changing the points and some tinkering the engine now pulls right to the red line  8)

Also changed the (still original) coil overs all round for some good used ones with Koni dampers.
This has improved the ride greatly.

Too much as it turns out  :'( as a result of being unable to do any proper work on the cars since the end of October. Effectively, I'm six months behind where I planned to be with the Saloon - it should have been going for painting about now, it still hasn't got any of the new panels on it yet  :-/

I'm left wondering if Car 47 has set a record for the earliest ever call-off  :B  ??)

It's just a personal thing Colin, but after the 400 mile drive to the start is factored in I'm not comfortable with the thought of doing 48 hours non-stop in a two seater. If I was able to work it out so that I could get down a couple of days early and chill out before setting off again I'd be OK with it - but that's not going to be possible this year unfortunately  :(

I understand completely Bill, Dad and I have 3 big saloons between us, leaving Dad's GT6 as the plan D. I hope we don't need to make that choice......call me soft but I think the RBRR is challenge enough without doing it in a spit or GT6.

Still a sad decision to have had to make though.

Colin

• 1 month later...

well went out for a little run in the Moss on sunday, all started well the developed a little bit of a misfire. So that is to cure this next week before it's MOT.

need to change the seats to, as the ones that are fitted are not suited for the larger person. Speaking to the Moss owners club recently at Stoneleigh they have said Spitfire seats fit. So I'll soon be on the lookout for some of them.

We've decided it will be a very cosy trip in such a small car, but still think it's doable

Pulled the diff out on the pi on the 11th May, new nose seal and rebuilt quill shaft housing along with some superflex diff mounts and a general clean up, paint and new diff oil. Back in the car Tuesday 13th and extensively tested over last weekend 's trip to the NYTW at Runswick. End result was a nice dry but shiny diff.
Next project is an engine refresh,(no-one likes following a smoking Pi for 2000miles!) just found the Cords rings and VP thrusts, just shells to look for. Payen gaskets are sitting on my desk at work.
Fingers crossed that the bores are standard size and will take a gentle hone Won't know until the head is off and only four and a bit weeks to the 2000 Register National. Better get started. ;)

Colin

1526 wrote:

What size?

MUT

Well I have found the ones I have, std and +010'' so hopefully I shall be ok Ted, won't know for sure until the sump is dropped along with some caps. I will ring if I'm having difficulties though thanks.

Colin