• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing. Apart from needing a screwdriver to reaffix the interior mirror I inadvertently knocked off in Skiach Services I only opened my tool bag to find a junior hacksaw for Doug Thompson at Tebay and a Stanley knife for Chris Allen at Pimperne.

Maybe I shouldn't be too smug, after all two years is a long time!

Tim

The snagging list for the Flying Log, not too drastic but these are the broken bits that need fixing post run....

1.  Lost Fuel Cap replaced with temporrary one to be replaced
2. Fuse Box needs screwing back in position with a new self tapper. Took it off to clean the terminals when the wipers etc got intermittent due to a dodgy connection to the fuse box.
3.  Investigate why the fuel gauge is now not going below half full and the fuel light has stopped working. Suspect that the sender unit has stuck. This caused us to run out of petrol on the A35 as we thought it still had half a tank left!
4. Blown exhaust Flange Gasket to be replaced. Normal 2,000 mile service item for a Triumph 1500 spit or dolly engine!
5.  Handbrake lever runs out of travel, footbrake works OK but suspect that the auto adjusters haven't auto adjusted since I replaced the shoes a few months back. Need to strip down both drums and investigate/fix/adjust.
6. Car was very low at the back due to overloading with tools, spares and 3 blokes who had eaten too many pies, this meant the exhaust was low and scraping over speed bumps or rough roads. Need to check exhauts is OK, but hopefully the rear box is just a little scratched and dented.

where do we start?
Deciding on which car to use....
shall we up the ante?
play it safe and jusrt enjoy the bits we did not enjoy now so take the spit?
Or as shaun said, start thinking of being the first to do it in a pre-war car....
For now we still enjoy this run.

call again in a few months...
D

Quoted from richard w
Sort out my horribly squeaky brakes and get some better seats - any suggestions for a Stag?  I'm sure there's loads more, but it's a start

I've got seats from a bmw e36 coupe in mine, they don't look to out of place and were super comfy, in fact I think my bad back felt better at the end of the round britain than it did at the beginning.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll add it to the list of possibles.

So far I've got MX5 (very comfortable, but I need more room than Rob has got in his Spitfire - thank you letting me try to fit!)
Subaru Legacy/Impreza - didn't try the ones in Leighton and Alison's 2.5 PI Mk2, but they are a possible - if fitted correctly
New rebuilt Stag seats - preferably Mk2 with headrests - more original but expensive.

Quoted from thescrapman

Dirk

If you do it in a pre-war car we will build a monument to you somewhere.

We will build it at the point on the run where you realised it was a bloody stupid idea.

About 20yards up whitewebbs lane then 🙂
That's the big hill you all went up after about 5 mins after leaving the plough 😀

Even though I was a first timer at 70 and did not know what I was letting myself in for (if anyone doubted it now you know why I am Mad Uncle Ted) I have unfinished business.  

Provided I can persuade daughter that I should be allowed to do it again 🤔, and hoping that we can find dog sitters so that Steph to come with me this time (bit of encouragement wanted for her please) I have to get both my Mk1s ready which had been my plan for this year......... with someone else driving one of them of course!

MUT