10CR - the Book!

Raider

At the first re-union Mike Sloan said to me that there was a book in this adventure. ;D

Well, I have thought about it and just might put one together and publish it. A very small print run I should imagine though :D

I could do this by compiling written accounts from all of the crews.

Would everyone allow me to use the articles they have written and the photos they have???)

I would probably have to do some editing don't forget.

Also, would everyone that hasn't written an account be willing to do so?  ??)

Nice one Andy - sounds like you had a somewhat frantic time, I'm glad you didn't kiss us all! What was the cause of the plug fouling and misfire?

Where in Reading did you get on the rolling road? Clifford Cox? Only asking as I live in Reading.

Top blokes but not the cheapest - I used to have a mate who worked down there, many years ago - he was sound but he's moved on now. Another mate who's hill climbing a Mini used to go there - he's getting near 150 bhp at the flywheel from an A series - serious motor. he got on well with CC but found a cheaper place - Tom Airey I think he's called - somewhere in Hampshire.  He's also used Avonbar.
I haven't come across anyone with a bad word to say about CC - the only comment is about price. Having said that, time on a rolling road is a difficult thing to cost out. If the operator is good then 1 hour could sort you out, if he's bad or doesn't know your engine then you could be faffing around for 2 or 3 - and spending a lot more too!
In my distant past, when I had a nasty little Fiesta 1750 I'd built, I went to a place in Slough, under the flight path of Heathrow, terrible messy place but the guy knew his stuff - I recall seeing a white GT6 with triple Webers there - I wanted that car! It was my first time on a rolling road and when we'd finished that car was transformed, took about a hour and quarter. The car flew - the speedo only went to 90mph and on the way back home I took it right round, past that until the needle tap tap tapped on the trip zero - great fun. Fuel economy was improved too - that little car was a real handful after the session - the wife wouldn't drive it! I met it's end in the only way fitting of a boy racer Ford - a big smash at high speed, well no, a neighbour reversed into it and all the filler fell out on the road - Total Loss!

Martin
This book about the 10cr would it be worth adding a few RBR stories to spice it up? you could call it.."Round Britain and Europe..the speedos tale" or "the tale of two speedos"!!!
a "Club Triumph" book -a review of amusing stories,adventure,and some technical stuff  would it apeal to members? what do you think?

Would it appeal to members? ??) I just don't know :(

I tell you what though, it makes me smile ;D

Mrs Raider has volunteered to do the type setting, editing etc but as we have never done any publishing we will have to investigate costs.

Incorporating RBR stories? ??) Again, don't know but although we find it absolutely fascinating how many of the general public, or even classic car enthusiasts would?

I have thought about doing the 10CR book and then adding to it in future years with new tales fo derring do. I have also given some thought to a list of characters at the front or calling each chapter by the character's name - NGK Pearce 2500 plug-eater for example! :D

well as club Libarian-Have you got a pipe?
Why dont you go for compling the first offical "Club Triumph" book? Get memebers to send in stories have a RBR section a 10CR section and an "Others" section ? go through the back issues dig out amusing stuff, techie stuff, silly stuff,adventure stuf,? the "toutes directions book of heros"?!! I will give you a hand

OMG! ::)

Will you at least let me get to the bottom of the index and read all the posts before replying Andy! :)

Not a bad idea but I should point out a librarian does not write books, he or she finds them for people! ;D

Now, I will just go off for a nice cup of tea and get back to you later, probably with pipe!

Re:Rolling Roads: The only 2 I know in the Heathrow area are: Redline Tuning at Longford, now moved to I think Iver, and Tony Gooding at Bedfont. He is well known to the MG crew as he had a tie up with Motobuild (Rae Davis)who used to be at Hounslow and are now at Egham.
Are these the people you are thinking of?

I'm pretty sure it was Redline - they have moved now I know so that seems to tie in with my dim memory - it was a long time ago, my years in teh wilderness when I had no Triumph and went through an Imp (great fun round corners, I want another one) and a Fiesta (big fun, big noise, VERY boy racer)

J

I've heard that a guy in Cambridgeshire called Roger Baldwin (Classic mini racer) runs a very good road and that he is very experienced in Triumph engines. I've had 3 seperate  recommendations, one of them from a good work mate who has  rallied Lotus Cortinas since the early 70's and nowsprints a Mini and has known him for years. I'll get some details, perhaps we could arrange a day there?
Also I have owned 2 imps, one a Stilleto with big arches- a real Carlos Fandango machine- and a standard Imp. Superb cars very underated, I would really like a Ginetta G15 but worried that it would run rings round the GT6.

The key to getting the most out of a session is to ensure that the operator knows the induction system you're using, tuning fixed venturi is a different art to the likes of SU or Stombergs (yerch!) and of course access to the neccessary spares or the knowledge to make the right jets (jet drill set etc) makes a huge differnce. Watching these guys work is good though, especially when you see them make a custom jet size on the spot, whack it in and see 2 or 3 HP difference (either way though sometimes!).
As soon as I get my finger out and build this Vitesse I'll need a good Lucas PI man and a rolling road - there's a rare combo!

Archived