10CR '13 Who's got what left to do ?

Beans

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Vitesse is still up on axle stands following the shaft failure on the RBRR,still to do:

Diff is at Mike Papworths for a refresh,get that and refit the spring etc.
Fit the CV conversion,get the wishbone brackets welded on to the chassis,build up the rear suspension from MK1 to MK 2.

Remove saloon box and get the severe oil leak sorted out,needs topping up every 500 miles.
Fit the new electronic speedo and tacho i had made.
Service and oil change
Er..thats it.

Made a list of things to do to the DHC, actually most of them are on that list since the 2011 edition;

• Fit new and uprated clutch assembly;
  • Renew crank shaft bearing;
  • Fit reconditioned gear box;
  • Fit new prop shaft;
  • Source new steel wheels to replace damaged ones;
  • Have the wheels banded and painted;
  • Fit new tyres;
  • Check back axle bearings;
  • Fit new badges/stickers;
  • Service;
Hopefully the first three items will be of the list within a month  ::)

• 2 months later...

Finish building the new engine, fit it and run it in; fix the gearbox leak; fit new front uprights/stub axles/wheel bearings; weld up the chassis and bodytub cracks; replace both driveshaft UJs; rewire underdash and replace heater motor; new brake pads and shoes; and fit mappable ignition, stub stacks and TimW Airbox and tune it.

Fit cup holder.

Not necessarily in that order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Fitted rebuilt gearbox, new (uprated) clutch and new prop-shaft today.
Sadly took a bit longer then expected so only done a short drive so far.

Gear change and clutch action much improved, car's more quiet, but a bit of a rattle with the engine idling and 'box in neutral.
Have to say that the engine needs a tune up as it idles @ ±500 rpm at the moment (if you can call it idling  :B)

• 2 weeks later...

2684 wrote:
End of this month I'll be fitting my rebuilt original gearbox, new clutch kit, rebuilding front struts and swapping steering rack. Then finish refurbishing some 'S' alloys, get the tyres on and we should be good to go!

All of the above now done, apart from the steering rack, and what a difference  :) Now lining up an electric fan conversion, think this will be a must for the mountain climbing sections on the 10CR.

• 1 month later...

Not as well prepared as I would like to be......

Plan A is the Vitesse 'cause it likes mountains.  However, I've been promising it an engine rebuild for years (now needed fairly badly due to diminishing valve lift on some cylinders) and still don't have the block back from machining (next week insh'allah).  The original engine does still function provided it's got plenty of Wynns in it so it isn't necessarily a show-stopper.  There is then the more minor matter of the clutch which is definitely knackered and highly unlikely to survive another alpine kicking.  I was hoping to deal with that as part of the engine swap.

Plan B is the PI.  This will be a bit thirstier and harder work in the mountains, though more civilised on the flat.  It needs a nasty high-speed drive-line vibration sorting out and a quieter diff would be nice.

Not that much time left now and I'm abroad for 3 weeks of what remains......  :-/

Nick

beans wrote:
Made a list of things to do to the DHC ...

The list get shorter overall but a few new items added
[s] Fit new and uprated clutch assembly; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Check and when necessary renew crank shaft bearing; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Fit reconditioned gear box; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Fit new prop shaft; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Source new steel wheels to replace damaged ones; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Have the wheels banded and painted; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Fit new tyres [/s] (but new wheels/tyres not yet to car);
<li></li> [s] Sort instrument panel lights; [/s]
<li>Get the fuel gauge working;</li> <li>Check back axle bearings;</li> <li>Fit new badges/stickers;</li> <li>Service;</li> <li>Get some miles on the new gear box  ::)</li> </ul>