10CR '13 Who's got what left to do ?

Beans

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, just finishing touches to an almost two year struggle to get the car sorted after the damage it received during the 2011 10CR  :X

But getting there in the end.

Forgot the probably most important item on the list ...
To keep my navigator happy I'll be fitting a map light magnifier
Also still need to change a few front suspension items that got damaged  :o

uksnatcher wrote:
Looking good Theo... 8)
Just had a look on your blog, i must say the pics of the Lakes/Scotland are looking rather spectacular......! What camera are you using?..Very nice.

Thx for the compliment, used a Canon EOS 5D mkII with 24-105mm lens during the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of work (and money) spent on the GT6,
New drive shafts, rear wheel cylinders, shoes, new rear tyres,replaced brake fluid, new front N/S ball joint, fixed exhaust, oiled trunnions, new oil and filter, new clutch,  and finally installed rebuilt uprated gearbox.

Took the car for a quick drive before fitting the gearbox cover. OD is fine, 3rd and 4th nice and quiet but 1st is very very noisy.... and there is a continuous ticking noise  from the box which I don't like :(

Feeling hot and grumpy and beginning to think that I should not have sold the Acclaim. At least the Herald is behaving well and is enjoying the sunny weather.

Mike

PS driving a GT6 with no gearbox cover is interesting, the amount of heat coming from the engine and exhaust is amazing!

Nick_Jones wrote:

Don't be too smug - plenty of time for something to go wrong yet.....  :P

Nick

Funny you used that phrase..........I was just having that feeling, then thought i would get the car out into the hot sun,checked the levels............no water ??)
Put normal water in and sure enough a leak from a nearly new rad.....dropping from underneath ??)

michael_charlton wrote:

Funny you used that phrase..........I was just having that feeling, then thought i would get the car out into the hot sun,checked the levels............no water ??)
Put normal water in and sure enough a leak from a nearly new rad.....dropping from underneath ??)

Rad off
Leaking from bottom neck to tank
Will be sweated out and reseated this afternoon and back in tonight :)

michael_charlton wrote:

....Just ask Theo.... ;)

Beans has a rather non standard 7 with a Sprint engine - no wonder his gearbox gave up the ghost :)

(I won't mention the solid rock it encountered in the alps either)

Cheers

Howard

mpbarrett wrote:
Lots of work (and money) spent on the GT6,
New drive shafts, rear wheel cylinders, shoes, new rear tyres,replaced brake fluid, new front N/S ball joint, fixed exhaust, oiled trunnions, new oil and filter, new clutch,  and finally installed rebuilt uprated gearbox.

Took the car for a quick drive before fitting the gearbox cover. OD is fine, 3rd and 4th nice and quiet but 1st is very very noisy.... and there is a continuous ticking noise  from the box which I don't like :(

Feeling hot and grumpy and beginning to think that I should not have sold the Acclaim. At least the Herald is behaving well and is enjoying the sunny weather.

Mike

PS driving a GT6 with no gearbox cover is interesting, the amount of heat coming from the engine and exhaust is amazing!

Gearbox coming out tonight to be returned to supplier and 'faulty part' to be replaced
and I just love taking the gearbox out of the GT6....
Just realised that the MOT runs out in early August, this was not how I planned the preperation at the start of the year!

Mike

mpbarrett wrote:

Sounds like a fault common to recently reconditioned gearboxes, a bent reverse idler arm. This allows the idler to contact 1st and give the noices you descibe.

Take the top off and take a look (engage 1st). If you are careful you can get a long drift in and give the idler arm a quick twonk (only needs to move a fraction).

Should have been picked up though by any regular Triumph gearbox builder.

rotoflex wrote:
Mr. Beans, that is a fine, fine photograph.

Thx, at least something positive  ;D
Because one way or another every time I start work on the car a new job turns up  :-/
[s] Fit new and uprated clutch assembly; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Check and when necessary renew crank shaft bearing; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Fit reconditioned gear box; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Fit new prop shaft; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Source new steel wheels to replace damaged ones; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Have the wheels banded and painted; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Fit new tyres [/s] (but new wheels/tyres not yet to car);
<li></li> [s] Sort instrument panel lights; [/s]
<li></li> [s] Treatment of leather seats; [/s]
<li>Fit extra interior lights (to aid retrieval of dropped items from the footwells in the dark);</li> <li>Fit map light magnifier;</li> <li>Fit holders for drinks bottles;</li> <li>Get the fuel gauge working, now looking for another tank sender;</li> <li>Check back axle bearings;</li> <li>Fit new front ARB and check alignment;</li> <li>Fit new badges/stickers;</li> <li>General service;</li> <li>Get some miles on the new gear box  ::)</li> </ul>

Slimboyfat wrote:

Sounds like a fault common to recently reconditioned gearboxes, a bent reverse idler arm. This allows the idler to contact 1st and give the noices you descibe.

Take the top off and take a look (engage 1st). If you are careful you can get a long drift in and give the idler arm a quick twonk (only needs to move a fraction).

Should have been picked up though by any regular Triumph gearbox builder.

Thanks for the info, interesting will have a look at it tomorrow.
Its out now, took me about an hour and half to get it out. Without a pit I think removing the gearbox is better excerise than cycling to work! At least all the other stuff is done (drive shafts, brakes, service etc...).

Mike