• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thescrapman wrote:

You porking a schoolgirl Peter?? You sly old dog.. :-)

No!  ??)

3020 wrote:
Ferny ...haven't you left school yet?..pull a sickie ..dentist or summit

Actually, I haven't. :)
I've got to have 94% attendance which works out around 4/5 days off on my course (instead of the normal 85%) otherwise I simply won't be allowed to do the next level. Depending on what days they give me next year I could end up taking two or three of those because of the 10CR, something I simple cannot do and one of the factors with me pulling out this year. I know there are others in the same situation with either attending or working in schools and they've never been able to do the event for those reasons.

thescrapman wrote:

You porking a schoolgirl Peter?? You sly old dog.. :-)

No!  ??)

3020 wrote:
Ferny ...haven't you left school yet?..pull a sickie ..dentist or summit

Actually, I haven't. :)
I've got to have 94% attendance which works out around 4/5 days off on my course (instead of the normal 85%) otherwise I simply won't be allowed to do the next level. Depending on what days they give me next year I could end up taking two or three of those because of the 10CR, something I simple cannot do and one of the factors with me pulling out this year. I know there are others in the same situation with either attending or working in schools and they've never been able to do the event for those reasons.

One factor I took into account originally when starting the 10CR 10 years ago and which set the date has been the fact that in August every man and his dog is on holiday, especially the Continentals who take August off.

That means the roads are clogged up with traffic.

That was my theory originally and I found to my cost that I was correct :( In 2010 for a significant birthday on August 15th I fancied camping by an Italian lake having travelled there by Triumph.

We did this along with a few of the usual suspects.

So we were on an absolutely packed campsite on Lake Garda and the roads n the mountains were no fun to drive due to Mr Sunday driver.

By the first weekend in September they are all back at work/school and the weather is still good.

Raider wrote:
So we were on an absolutely packed campsite on Lake Garda and the roads n the mountains were no fun to drive due to Mr Sunday driver.

By the first weekend in September they are all back at work/school and the weather is still good.

That's a fair point, the road around Maggiore that we drove this year whilst providing a beautiful scenic drive was pretty choked with traffic then.  Mind you with miles and miles of covert average speed cameras monitoring 50kmh limits, perhaps it was just as well . . . . .

sparky_spit wrote:

I didn't see those?   Ooops  :(

not many did!

As we were in the middle of one of our "breakdown" phases, we never got as fast as 50kph alng there.

What language will everybodies speeding tickets going to be in???

My other lasting memory of Lake Maggiore is the Listerine flavoured ice lollies Carmel bought us as we tried to fix the car. Interesting!

Cheers

Colin

Why not concentrate on driving the Alps from west to east and back again like the Alpine Rally of old where Triumphs did rather well.

The start and finish could be around Grenoble, missing out the marathon to get to the rally interesting roads.

Alternatively there could be a tour of the western Alps and the likes of the Grandes Goulets (look them up on Google Images) on one trip and the next trip, two years later, do the Eastern Alps and the likes of the Stelvio and Gavia.

By getting rid of the long sections getting to the interesting roads as part of the route, there would be more time spent driving on phenomenal roads that are bypassed for the reasons of time constraints.

In addition, more time could be allocated to visiting places such as the Schlumpf Museum at Mulhouse or the Ferrari factory at Modena.

Or even try and gain access to the likes of Monza, Spa or some other motor racing circuit.

10 Countries was a good idea, and still is, but the one drawback was this target of visiting all 10 countries and perhaps missing out on some epic roads due to the necessity to keep to a tight time schedule.

There's nothing wrong with the basic premise of the 10 Countries but perhaps we should think about whether it should evolve into something different.

Jim.

[quote=MWG445]Why not concentrate on driving the Alps from west to east and back again like the Alpine Rally of old where Triumphs did rather well.

The start and finish could be around Grenoble, missing out the marathon to get to the rally interesting roads.

Alternatively there could be a tour of the western Alps and the likes of the Grandes Goulets (look them up on Google Images) on one trip and the next trip, two years later, do the Eastern Alps and the likes of the Stelvio and Gavia.

By getting rid of the long sections getting to the interesting roads as part of the route, there would be more time spent driving on phenomenal roads that are bypassed for the reasons of time constraints.

In addition, more time could be allocated to visiting places such as the Schlumpf Museum at Mulhouse or the Ferrari factory at Modena.

Or even try and gain access to the likes of Monza, Spa or some other motor racing circuit.

10 Countries was a good idea, and still is, but the one drawback was this target of visiting all 10 countries and perhaps missing out on some epic roads due to the necessity to keep to a tight time schedule.

There's nothing wrong with the basic premise of the 10 Countries but perhaps we should think about whether it should evolve into something different.

Jim.[/quote

I don't like agreeing with a lambrini drinking man from Scotlandshire,. but I thing thats a really good suggestion. might even be able to encourage him away from deep fried Mars bars, to do this in his hairdressers TR7  ;)

MikeyB wrote:

That's a fair point, the road around Maggiore that we drove this year whilst providing a beautiful scenic drive was pretty choked with traffic then.  Mind you with miles and miles of covert average speed cameras monitoring 50kmh limits, perhaps it was just as well . . . . .

...but I did see the speed camera on the dual carriage way to the San Bernardino.........well I would have done if it were n`t for the the flash that came from it..... :B

michael_charlton wrote:

...but I did see the speed camera on the dual carriage way to the San Bernardino.........well I would have done if it were n`t for the the flash that came from it..... :B

Something flashed us (from the middle of a bush it seemed!) on the way out of a small German village.
We weren't even going particularly fast, being in the middle of (another) dispute with the Sat Nav.

Hoping we'll not hear anything from it, but who knows....  :-/

As for the bit along the lake, our average speed was well below 50 kph thanks to some very slow traffic, though peak speeds may occasionally have exceeded it........

Nick

I don't think the UK has signed up to the database to transfer drivers details?
I got flashed in 2009 and Steve got a one in 2011, neither of use heard any more. I even got flashed in Scotland on the 2008 RBRR but didn't receive a letter. Must have been a faulty camera. ;)

ferny wrote:
I don't think the UK has signed up to the database to transfer drivers details?
I got flashed in 2009 and Steve got a one in 2011, neither of use heard any more. I even got flashed in Scotland on the 2008 RBRR but didn't receive a letter. Must have been a faulty camera. ;)

The DVLA will provide driver details to other countries that request them. They get paid for the information.

And don't forget that Italy has no limit on prosecuting the offence, can be years afterwards.

Sometimes the 30-day limit for NIP in the UK allows you to sleep better at night, never knowing if you will find a horses head on the pillow the next morning.

Cheers

Colin

thescrapman wrote:

The DVLA will provide driver details to other countries that request them. They get paid for the information.

And don't forget that Italy has no limit on prosecuting the offence, can be years afterwards.

But surely they can't prosecute you in this country as they have no jurisdiction unless HM Government do it on their behalf which is a process that I've never heard used.

Pleading ignorance or simply ignoring any letter from abroad and the costs involved in recovering fines will make it uneconomic to do so and not worth the hassle.

Jim.

Found this from The Telegraph dated 14 July 2011

"Last week the UK opted out of the cross border enforcement directive so European traffic police know it’s an on-the-spot fine or nothing when it comes to stopping Britons speeding on their roads.”

Only exception would be if you were in a hire car, where the hire company will chase you for the debt they've been saddled with.

However, also found a post on Pistonheads about a guy who ignored a speeding fime in Switzerland and went back in the same car a year later and got stung plenty.

Jim.

MWG445 wrote:
Found this from The Telegraph dated 14 July 2011

"Last week the UK opted out of the cross border enforcement directive so European traffic police know it’s an on-the-spot fine or nothing when it comes to stopping Britons speeding on their roads.”

Only exception would be if you were in a hire car, where the hire company will chase you for the debt they've been saddled with.

However, also found a post on Pistonheads about a guy who ignored a speeding fime in Switzerland and went back in the same car a year later and got stung plenty.

Jim.
That's what I was looking for on the BBC website which is where I read it. I thought it was more recent than that though.

Also, over here the 14 days to issue the NIP is only for the registered keeper. After that they can use issue the fine to the driver months later, as long as they've made "reasonable effort" to find out who that was. So that camera you went past in your company car or higher car can take a bit longer to come through than you'd think... I believe one person recieved theirs two year later due to various circumstances.

Back to the 10CR ideas :-)

Although I've done them all no email received but then you can't ask everyone everything all the time so no grudge held!

Firstly, before I offer any feedback, it's important to say that I'm grateful to any organiser of an event, I know what it takes and I know how it feels when someone criticises. The 10CR is fundamentally a good a event, I wouldn't keep doing it if it wasn't.

I think the road book should be better, the route was reasonable but there was no way to navigate from the road book alone so I wondered if it represented good value for money spent printing it? Transposing it to maps was fraught with difficulty, I felt it would have been better to have done it on Google maps rather than in MS Autoroute. Sat Nav was the only way to go. Hotels were too sanitised but then I am far too familiar with Holiday Inns and they are a necessary evil for such a big field. The check point concept doesn't work as there's often no one around to sign a book and with such a large field it's impractical to police. I didn't like the continental start, it stretched the duration of the event too far with no appreciable benefits to the driving quality of what we were doing - I felt like I wasted a day.

There's an evolution to the 10CR that seems to be going more towards hotels and civilisation than the original idea of the run, it's getting a bit comfortable in it's old age. That's fine and certainly has a place in the calender, plenty of people like that and as long as it gets participants then it's right to run it in that format. Mountain passes can, like Holiday Inns, get a little bit samey but there's no denying they have their uses. Is is time for the uncivilised 10CR to be distilled out of the present civilised one?

Personally I think I want something a little less mainstream and a little more rough around the edges, that means it won't have the mass appeal and would then be a smaller affair. I would like to get the adventure back - that first daft frolic in a Stretch Herald was great mainly because we had no clue how we were going to get round and we hadn't done it before (there were good reasons for that!)

I've looked at driving to the Arctic Circle (bloody long way). a trip to Moscow or Berlin, recreating the European route of the World Cup Rally (could be done, I have a route) and the driving round  Portugal and Spain thing. I've had chats about the whole ferry to Santander and run around Spain maybe down to Gibraltar but that means 24 hours on a boat both ways and that robs you of valuable driving time :-)

Jason wrote:
Back to the 10CR ideas :-)

Although I've done them all no email received but then you can't ask everyone everything all the time so no grudge held!

Firstly, before I offer any feedback, it's important to say that I'm grateful to any organiser of an event, I know what it takes and I know how it feels when someone criticises. The 10CR is fundamentally a good a event, I wouldn't keep doing it if it wasn't.

I think the road book should be better, the route was reasonable but there was no way to navigate from the road book alone so I wondered if it represented good value for money spent printing it? Transposing it to maps was fraught with difficulty, I felt it would have been better to have done it on Google maps rather than in MS Autoroute. Sat Nav was the only way to go. Hotels were too sanitised but then I am far too familiar with Holiday Inns and they are a necessary evil for such a big field. The check point concept doesn't work as there's often no one around to sign a book and with such a large field it's impractical to police. I didn't like the continental start, it stretched the duration of the event too far with no appreciable benefits to the driving quality of what we were doing - I felt like I wasted a day.

There's an evolution to the 10CR that seems to be going more towards hotels and civilisation than the original idea of the run, it's getting a bit comfortable in it's old age. That's fine and certainly has a place in the calender, plenty of people like that and as long as it gets participants then it's right to run it in that format. Mountain passes can, like Holiday Inns, get a little bit samey but there's no denying they have their uses. Is is time for the uncivilised 10CR to be distilled out of the present civilised one?

Personally I think I want something a little less mainstream and a little more rough around the edges, that means it won't have the mass appeal and would then be a smaller affair. I would like to get the adventure back - that first daft frolic in a Stretch Herald was great mainly because we had no clue how we were going to get round and we hadn't done it before (there were good reasons for that!)

I've looked at driving to the Arctic Circle (bloody long way). a trip to Moscow or Berlin, recreating the European route of the World Cup Rally (could be done, I have a route) and the driving round  Portugal and Spain thing. I've had chats about the whole ferry to Santander and run around Spain maybe down to Gibraltar but that means 24 hours on a boat both ways and that robs you of valuable driving time :-)

Sorry Jason, if you didn`t get the email
However your points have been noted and will contribute on the forthcoming meetings
Some good points, which will be considered