• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JohnD wrote:
Binman and I went on the 200? 10CR, and got so tired we had to take time out.  Ever since, I've argued that the old model was just too much for a two man team, so I'm delighted that CT has gone for a less arduous plan.   Having changed it, how about a radical change?  Not even TEN countries, just two, maybe three?

Calais to Madrid and back is 2000 miles.  The route could follow that of the Paris-Bordeaux-Paris race, the "First Grand Prix" in 1895, althouhgt th roads are so different now it might still afford a nostalgic feel.  The Pyranees offere many pass-storming opportunites, none as high as the Col d'Iseran or Stelvio, but still dramatic and appreciated by the cyclists.  See: http://www.velopyrenees.com/pyrenees_cols.htm especially the last, Col de Tourmalet.
Other points of interest that could then be included would be the Millau Viaduct, the Verdon Gorge and, of course, Le Mans!  Is Andorra still a duty-free zone?   All too far off a conventional 10CR route to be included.  I'm sure that someone more familar with Spain than I could sugegst some there too.  Perhaps the Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona, home of the Spanish Grand Prix?

John

Cracking ideas-how about "the 10 picos challenge" for the hardcore run option and the "three cols cup" for the touring style route .......sound familiar anyone!? ;)

JohnD wrote:

Other points of interest that could then be included would be the Millau Viaduct, the Verdon Gorge and, of course, Le Mans!  Is Andorra still a duty-free zone?  

John

I think you will find they have all been touched on the various 10CRs

but I really like the idea of driving some of the old rally routes,  how about the Mille Milglia in the original time frame  :)

AndyF

AndyF wrote:

“Rolduc is fantastic let’s always finish there”
We did

“we never see any of the teams apart from at the start and finish”
    “the social element is missing”.
The control stops and the 2nd hotel night were introduced

“Why can’t we visit Riems”
    “If we are going to the South of France we should do the Col de la Bonette”
    “In 2013 we should re-visit the 2003 route “
2013 route

AndyF

Some of those could be kept or dealt with similar...Rolduc is good ..but maybe summit silmilar elsewhere to better suit a new route

not seeing any of the teams bit ...the controls never helped this.too many for so many cars to hit together..you could have one point per day ..maybe an hr stop for lunch, scheduled in over a 3 hr period ..that with the overnights would solve the social bit ..and as ferny said make the rest .way points

After reading through this thread it is certain that you can never please everyone. Each person is at liberty to make their own personal preference 10 countries (or less) on their own at a time and pace that suits them you can make it as hard core or soft as you like. Ferries leave from Dover and you can buy maps at WH Smiths and on line everyone can do this but you would be doing it on your OWN. The point that makes this and other club events special and enjoyable is taking part with other people but the crux here is that if you do an event with others then there will need to be some form of COMPR0MISE. I would prefer dual routes with a hard/long short/soft option sometimes that may even be decided on the day its great storming along if the car is running really well but often its not and its just limping along trying to make up time or just finish along a dull toll road is the favourite option.
I personally fancy a Portsmouth Bilbao Pyrenees to the Alps running at least one overnight taking in less countries stopping for a nice meal or two sleeping in hotels not staring in the first week of term BUT I may not get any or all of these preferences but I would still hope to be on the next one whether its two or twelve plus countries. I have been on four of the five official events and have enjoyed them all in different ways what has been the most enjoyable well if you could take the best bits from each then place them in one run that would be pretty good but not likely I live in the real world on that one. I have really appreciated the time and commitment that the organisers and originators have put into this event it’s a great craic. The run is not only good for the cars and the club (its certainly helped in CT renaissance since the 2003 event) it’s also not too bad for most of the crews.

I think I will be doing my own thing next time!

I hope to pick a route and timescale for me to visit areas of interest, this will allow me to time to visit locations and explore the area and staying at hotels every night. It will give me time to stop and explore the villages and towns out of the car.

Mileage will be about 2k point but days about 7 nights so longer. I intend to visit more passes like Stelvio and the like. Zero input from MSA or the like mine will not be an organised event and no bloody spares list to organise.  ;)

good luck to the 10cr 2015, you have a great team of people who are organising it and it will be fab.

Rob

AndyF wrote:
but I really like the idea of driving some of the old rally routes,  how about the Mille Milglia in the original time frame  :)
AndyF

The Mille Miglia is, and has been, recreated for some time. Here's the 2013 website:
http://www.1000miglia.eu/2013-Edition/Route/
And don't forget that it's 1400 miles from Calais to Brescia, and THEN you have to do the "Thousand Miles".

Have the Verdon and Millau been 'done' in a 10CR? Bin and I haven't been back since.

John

AndyF wrote:

AndyF

How about including elements of the 1954 Alpine Rally route, as partially described in the Aug/Sept issue of TW?  Would be great for any side-screen TR owners....  ;)

The finisher awards could even pay homage to the Coupe des Alpes cups.