• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

It's not one way if that's what you mean Nick.

So you can do it from the Italian to the Austrian side and then come back again - either way is very very good with some saying Austria to Italy is the best

I'll be there myself this August

Quoted from Raider

I'll be there myself this August

So will I.

I tried in 2008, but didn't do my homework and went at the end of May. 836 miles and it was shut.
This year going in August to guarantee it's open (famous last words?). I expect to be there on the 11th. Doing my own 10CR, but taking 9 days. Call me a lightweight if you like! It's happened before.

UK
France
Belgium
Holland
Germany - do the 'ring hopefully
Luxembourg
Austria
Liechenstein
Switzerland
and Italy

Glen.

Well I am celebrating my 50th by visiting some great places - mainly in the Alps but also including the Nurburgring.

We will arrive at Lake Garda on the night of August 15th (my brithday), stay on a campsite for 3 nights so that we can do some Alpine passes in the vicinity and then return via Switzerland andd France

From previous years, they bring all the snow in the adjacent areas down to the point where it has been dumped on the picture, then tip it over the edge with the face shovel.

June 1st may be optimistic although the slopes in the background are starting to clear.

I do hope the 2011 10CR goes back to the Stelvio.

It's like a pilgramage to go there and pay your respects to the builders of one of the most amazing roads in the world.

Wouldn't guess I was in civil engineering road construction, would you?

Jim.

Quoted from Freebird

So will I.

I tried in 2008, but didn't do my homework and went at the end of May. 836 miles and it was shut.
This year going in August to guarantee it's open (famous last words?). I expect to be there on the 11th. Doing my own 10CR, but taking 9 days. Call me a lightweight if you like! It's happened before.

UK
France
Belgium
Holland
Germany - do the 'ring hopefully
Luxembourg
Austria
Liechenstein
Switzerland
and Italy

Glen.

I'm in those parts from the 11th to the 18th. Might bump into one another! (although not literally hopefully!).
What are the best Alpine passes and the like worth doing?

STELVIO!!!

Fun but ultimately dissapointing. This is what my co-driver Steve wrote about the Stelvio at the 2007 10CR. Note the reference to the Gavia Pass and the photo below where Triumph met Audi high on the Gavia.

"Seeing the odd Triumph here and there we managed to get on the road to Stelvio again and found that quite a bunch had started to arrive at Stelvio at the same time.  Unknowingly, we had found the Gavia Pass first which to my mind tested the nerve a lot more that the more popular and easier Stelvio. If you want White Knuckle then Gavia did it for me. Being a co driver you don