• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from 10 days in the eastern Pyrenes..... boy do they have some great roads there - these wide, well surfaced alpine passes with barriers are for girls  

Special mentions to:
D618 Amelie les Bains  -> Bouleternere - was tired after that one even with PAS
N116 Prades to Mont Louis
D118 Mont Lois to Axat (especially after Puyvalador)
D4 Matemale -> Olette - absolutely barking mad road - too extreme to send a group down though.
D613 Ax Les Thermes to Quillan - as used on 2009 10CR - still great but not quite the same without the yowling 6 and RWD......
D25 Ax les Thermes to Escouloubre (see pic) used on Tour de France (those guys must be HARD)

You could spend a week in the Pyrenes just doing passes..... there is even a signed route "Route des Cols".  Pity it is such a trek down there.......  Sorry not more pics - I was driving 'cause the boss wouldn't 😀

Three days in the Alps doing passes would be fine too 🙂

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jackson
Were you in the Vitesse or a modern Nick?    

Citroen C3 Picasso diesel hire car....... (aka the "Blue Hippo").  Scary amounts of understeer  (so much so that I was moved to check the tyre pressures).  At least it was economical and the AC was welcome.

Nick

I am back but didn't make Stevio either. What I did find was the St Bernardino pass - not the one that Top Gear drove - but the original road that was replaced by the one top gear drove. It was responsible for the complete loss of my brakes though!
Also, whoever it was that recommended it (I owe you loads of drinks!), the Cormet de Rosilend. Had a wee bit of brake fade on the way down from that one and pulled in next to a brand new 911 with the same problem!

Quoted Text
Citroen C3 Picasso diesel hire car

I can't imagine anything worse that tackling such exciting roads in a bl##ding Diesel Picasso!  Still with family in tow I suppose it's needs must.   Obviously a good excuse to go back in something more exciting.

I've already given my wife due warning that if I ever get the GT6 on the road, we're off to France, Switzerland and Italy to get some serious enjoyment out of it. Pay back time!

Quoted from Nick Jackson
I can't imagine anything worse that tackling such exciting roads in a bl##ding Diesel Picasso!

I can. The first generation 1.1 litre petrol C3, with it's whopping 60 horses to lug around it's leaden carcass.
I hired one of these things whilst driving around the south of Spain, which is not noted for it's flatness.
If you leave the A/C on you're overtaken by 30 ton trucks.

Horrible little car.

Actually, gruesome looks and suspect handling aside, I didn't hate the C3 as much as expected.  It actually went quite well (provided the AC was off) and went significantly better by the time I'd finished "running it in".....  It's possible that 2nd and 3rd gear plus anything connected with the steering may fail surprisingly early though .  Excellent brakes.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brilliant link Jim - I enjoyed reading that during a boring afternoon at work!!

I wonder if the 50 quid from RyanAir is return?? If so, this sounds like a LOT of fun for the money... Perhaps we should start a list of people who fancy doing it???

I was going to have a go at the Bangers to Barcelona run in May http://barcelonabangers.co.uk/index.php)[/url], but then the wife reminded me that we're away in May.  Something to do with having put up with her for 25 years or something.....