I just bought this on Ebay, the seller seems to have quite a few.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301415112743?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Maybe someone could contact him and get a group deal, or you guys could bid against each other and drive the price up.  Either way... :)

But it's very handy when your co driver is asleep - used it a fair bit on the RBRR this year when Graham fell asleep in Wales!

My ageing Garmin lacks some European countries and now looking at downloading co-pilot onto my iPad mini , has anyone tried this App?

Most of our more lurid navigational cock-ups have been sat-nav induced when we weren't supervising it closely enough.  In spite of two map updates in it's life it still has no idea where Luxembourg is - either that or it just doesn't want to go there.  It very nearly got jumped on during the last 10CR when it displayed a serious lack of knowledge of Italian roads.  Maps could be the future!

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I think the main problem people have when using a Sat Nav is that they expect it to tell them where to go. If you use a Sat Nav as a speaking map and program in the route before you leave you will find they are as good as, if not better than using a human navigator and paper map. Of course you have to understand how your Sat Nav works and how it will react in different situations. Knowing that, you can put in more or fewer waypoints to ensure it sticks to the route you would like to do.

The Sat Nav maps that were created for previous 10CR runs were tuned for a Garmin system. If transferred to another system the route may well be different and errors could creep in. Of course these detailed route descriptions are difficult to transfer to a physical map and the instructions are not the easiest to follow unless you are an avid MS AutoRoute user.

One way around this is to drop the Sat Nav file into ITN Convertor. This is a free download (http://www.benichou-software.com/) and once the file is loaded into ITN you can study the route in detail using the editor function. Unfortunately ITN does not offer printing facilities but it does offer great detail and could be used to transfer the route to a paper map.

AndyF

I have to say, Sir, that actually organising and providing sat-nav directions for participants in the 10CR, is like providing a back-seat driver for every car!    Satnav is ideal for the solo driver, who cannot consult a map at the wheel, but this is a team sport!  And if the team members cannot read a map, then they should not be participating!

Half the fun of a long tour like the 10CR is finding your way, with the excellent maps and notes provided in the traditional way.  To even use satnav is a surrender to technology!

Bah! Humbug!
John (not doing this time, nor for some time, so ignore him, grumbling in the corner)

The reason so much emphasis is being put on Sat Nav files comes from the feedback received after the 2013 10CR. Participants complained about the quality (lack of detail) of the maps and the instructions, some saying it would be better if they were in Google maps. By providing Sat Nav files each team can see the route in as much detail as they want using their favourite route planner. And if so inclined trace the route onto a paper map.

I am quite sure all of the participants of the 10CR are able to read a map but does that mean they have to prove it every 2 years? But if that is their thing then by all means navigate using the old methods after all the principle behind the 10CR is that each car makes it the run they want it to be.

Personally I find using Sat Nav files is the best way to enjoy the driving and the scenery in a relaxed manner. After all there is now only one night of driving so there is plenty of scenery to be looking at.

AndyF

It is said that a gentleman is one who knows how to play the sousaphone - but does not do so.
He has a hard-won skill, and does not use it.  Idiot.

Navigation is likewise a skill, and the 10CR is a wonderful opportunity to use it, in a way that will offend no one.   Just seems a pity to sit back and enjoy the scenery - you can do that on the Orient Express, in more comfort.

John

Sat navs are great when you partner is asleep. But you have to realise the limitations and you do need good maps (marked up) as well. Also  don't rely on someone else way points you really need to check them before setting off other wise the sat nav will take you somewhere strange and you wont know where you are.
I recommend the PC software Tyre it will import and export lots of different formats, and let you zoom in and let and then you can add edit the waypoints very easily.

cheers
mike

I'm A Triumph lover...my wife is ehhh...She wants to look out the window. More time sightseeing, less time getting sea sick will win her over.  She is not used to the European windy roads
Bring on the Sat NAV!  Yes it is just a crutch, but if it eliminates one argument while we are doing circles...

Thete is certainly more than one way of doing this event.

Personally I don't need/want sat nav files or a detailed roadbook - just tell me where the start is, where the overnights are and where the finish is.

Then I can spend hours contemplating different routes on maps, mark em up and then dive in  :)

No reason why other approaches including satnav routing  can't be used tho if that's what people want to do.

• 2 weeks later...