10CR 2015 Preparations

Raider

Quoted from timbancroft61
Right, progress as follows:

1. Gearbox now in the car, including 3/8 unf dowel/studs at 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock-thank you, Richard.

2. Witor big brakes now on the car, just need to bleed them.

3. New secondhand speedo and new speedo cable fitted.

4. New ring gear fitted to flywheel this in conjunction with the new starter will mean I no longer wake the neighbourhood up when I start her!

5. New Minilite wheels fitted.

So what is left?
1. Windows

2. Valve clearances to be checked.

3. Tune carbs and Dizzy.

4. Oil change.

5. Possible UJ changes to driveshafts.

6. Paint underside of floorpan as some surface rust showing.

Blimey, may get everything done in time!

Excellent Hope your gearbox job goes better than mine! 3 times in and out now, but fingers crossed, this ones holding up.

Now just trying t do all the niggles. And i need some decent headlamps. Any suggestions?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Today I got rid of all the old fuel (red/brown colour!).
2. Will start her up on Weds after more than four years laying idle .
3. Refit gearbox tunnel etc and a fair bit of the dash.

4. Rebuild passenger door innards.
5. Get the indicators to work.
6. Check brakes.
7. Run in the rebuilt engine then change the oil/filter, tighten head bolts and set valve clearances.
8. Get insurance.
9. Get an MOT.
10. Get Tax
11. Get on the overnight ferry on the 8 Sep and get pissed.

Getting there, car now purring, friend rebuilt the indicator stalk (wire pulled out of solder).
Brake test tomorrow.

a few more jobs done this weekend to the TR.
changed diff oil, a bit black and nasty so will change the gearbox oil as well.
fitted relays to the headlight ccts and ran a  new cable to them. Thinking about doing something about the floor mounted dim switch, really do not like it...
refitted the electric fan to the radiator on a new bracket> the new radiator matrix is too close to get tie wraps thru.
changed some of the dash dial lights to LED, will do the rest if I can get to them...
fitted some rear speakers.
checked the rear offside shock not happy with it so will get another one (this is a second hand unit, as the arm fell of the original one a couple of weeks ago).
greased steering rack I think this was the first time it had been done in a long time!

still a list of stuff to do but its coming along.

mike

Changes the plugs, painted the battery tray, re positioned the coil away from the engine block and checked the brake pads.

Took a test drive, engine smooth, overdrive fine, front suspension wallows about but parts on order. "Bearing type" noise that I can't pin down, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not, on accelaration then not, sometimes think it's front, sometimes rear, sometimes in gearbox!

I think it goes away with more miles being driven

Menawhile, looking at buying a back up car tomorrow night

I am with you Mike re floor mounted dips switches, never liked them. Shortly after we acquired the 4A in 1970 I removed the foot dipper and fitted a heavy duty two position on-on switch below the dashboard about six inches to the right of the steering column. I was pleased to find that the leads to the foot dipper were long enough to reach the new switch. I fitted a stiffish rubber extension to this switch and can operate it with fingertips whilst still keeping the heel of my right hand on the steering wheel.

Tim  

"1. Today I got rid of all the old fuel (red/brown colour!).
2. Will start her up on Weds after more than four years laying idle .
3. Refit gearbox tunnel etc and a fair bit of the dash.
4. Rebuild passenger door innards.
5. Get the indicators to work.
6. Check brakes.

7. Run in the rebuilt engine then change the oil/filter, tighten head bolts and set valve clearances.
8. Get insurance.
9. Get an MOT.
10. Get Tax.

11. Get on the overnight ferry on the 8 Sep and get pissed."

Ahem, as I got home from the MOT, it boiled over, it boiled over again on the way to pick up my co-driver for last night's meeting. John checked it all over and declared water was doing its job but the fan wasn't. It was wired so the fan went the wrong way...lovely, so, with a swop of the wires, continued on to the meeting.

Have fun tonight .

Was tweaking the engine management on the way up to the Plough last night.  Seems to have worked - did 300 miles on that tank (knocking on 40mpg) including some very crappy traffic on the M25 and M3 on the way home (though admittedly the engine was turned off for about 25 minutes of the M25 wait 🤔).  The 50 limit for nearly the entire length of the M3 probably helped though we were doing quite alot more than 50 thereafter.....

Need to change the fuel strainer and filter, adjust brakes, change diff oil.  I also note that, in keeping with tradition, the radiator appears to be leaking, just as it has done before the last 3 10CRs.  Each time I've taken it down to the rad shop to be told that they've pressure tested it and it's fine.......  Just pack the K-seal.....

Collect up the scattered spares collection and program the spare ECU.....

Oh, and I should probably wash it - it's covered in Spitfire resto fallout.

Nick