New Dizzy needed

Dannyb

My Spit 1500 Dizzy is shot. Spring missing and the remaining one unattached. 

Is the 123 dizzy worth getting. I thinking of the standard one. Can't see the point of the programmable one as its a standard engine setup. 

What are your thoughts on them. 

Danny

I'm sure they're very good for what they do, but they do seem a remarkably expensive way to fix what sounds like a fairly small problem. I don't actually know whether the "standard" version has the correct advance curves for a 1500 Spitfire, either. It looked like a bunch of generic curves for "most" engines that had Lucas distributors. Mind you, my 1500 Spitfire engine (in a Mk3) seems perfectly happy with a Mk3 Delco distributor, which can't possibly be the right advance curve.

I have had very good experience of the standard type 123 Danny. I fitted one fourteen years ago, selected curve 7 as recommended for a TR engine in fairly standard tune, and found that the advance at various engine speeds exactly matched the predicted figures. On test the car pulled away with no pinking or hesitation if the throttle was floored at 30mph in top and pick up was clean throughout the rev range. I found low speed running to be smoother also. I have had not a moment's trouble with the 123 although of course I do carry the original Lucas distributor and leads assembly on board just in case. (A few years ago I lent it to a Dutch entrant on the Border Raiders and it did the whole event and the journey back to Holland without a problem). 

The 123 replaced a Lumenition Optronic system I had run for over 20 years but on which the power pack had failed. I knew that the original Lucas distributor was worn, with stretched balance weight springs since the advance could be variable. Of course the Lumenition system catered for distributor shaft wear as it dispensed with the conventional points but I was still left with the worn mechanical advance. The 123 cost £185 in 2007 which was comparable with the cost of a replacement Lumenition or a full distributor rebuild so for me the fully electronic 123 solution was a no brainer. The 123 distributor was originally recommended to me by Jon Ranwell, a C.T. member at the time, who had had very good results with one on his Spitfire Mk III.

Tim

I have 123s in all of my Triumphs, absolutely no problem in over 10 yrs service. I like the fact that they use Bosch rotor arms and caps, none of that lucas (or copy) rotor arm malarkey that we all suffered with back, what 10 years ago. 

I cannot see the point of a 123 Tune though, we are not attempting to extract maximum power!

So, 123 thumbs up from me!

It's a shame as my old dizzy was set up on a rolling road 5 years ago. The tuner took it apart and ground the weights to give it more advance. I could put it back together but not sure what the missing spring size was. Thought I would have found it in the bottom of the dizzy but no. Can't see where it could have gone. Apart from the spring the vacuum advance arm had come off, no wonder it run rough. 

• 3 weeks later...

I also used H&H Lee rebuilt my old dizzy and converted it with his little brown leccy box inside, also to suit my engine's spec, he is very helpfull on the phone, or drop in and see him (take the chocolate biscuits) and have a chat

IMG_3754.jpg

Edited by Guppy916

I have just received today a dizzy from Aldon. They have set it up for a slightly tuned 1500 Spit. 

I decided against the 123 programmable dizzy as to expensive, and the 123 switched as I weren't sure if it had the correct advance. Plus if I get around to rebuilding the original engine sitting in the garage, I want to get tuned to stage 2. This means I can have the advance curve altered on a rolling road session. Where the 123 switched would be limited. 

Should be fitting it this weekend. 

Danny

Fitted the new dizzy from Aldon and finished adjusting cars and timing. Went for a test drive and it running pretty well. I'd say 95% so just needs a bit more fiddling. 

The dizzy came with the advice to set initial timing at 12 deg btc which I did. 

Danny

• Like 1