What prop shaft

Colin Armstrong

Pretty sure the MkIV Spitfire gearbox is the same casing as the original Herald one - some internal differences but nothing external. If it's non-OD then you just need the normal Herald propshaft. You will need to ensure the engine and gearbox mounts are correctly positioned because the Herald prop has no adjustment - all the tolerances are taken up in the positioning of the mounts. The only thing you may need to change on the propshaft is the front UJ flange, because I think the all-synchro gearbox may use the large bolt flanges.

The Mark4 Spitfire box is all synchro, unlike the Herald box. I believe it is about 1 inch longer than the Herald set up so a shorter prop is needed, and you will definitely need a larger front flange on the propshaft. Canley classics can provide the prop ( at a price! ). Try Steve Morris at Triumph Spitfire Spares; he may still have the appropriate propshaft that I gave him months ago!. Cheers, Dave.

6 hours ago, Dogsbody47uk said:

The Mark4 Spitfire box is all synchro, unlike the Herald box.

True.

6 hours ago, Dogsbody47uk said:

I believe it is about 1 inch longer than the Herald set up

I believe that's not true, though. You may be thinking of the single-rail 1500 box, which is definitely longer.