Triumph car prices

Tim Bancroft

Yes! Saw that on their Instagram yesterday and was amazed. It’s a bit sad when a marque starts to become inaccessible for folks with ‘normal’ budgets. Especially one as down-to-earth as Triumph. 

When I got my GT it was 4k something (in 2005 I think, so that’s when we met Tim ☺️) and that was absolute top end of what I could get a topup-loan for at the time. 

I suppose there’s a silver-lining for anyone with a tidy Triumph they’ve had for years and they now want to sell. 

Problem is, they’re all going up.

It’s not like you could swap your Triumph for something more exotic.

Shame for young people, but then I guess they’ll just have to buy an MX5 or something.

Which to be fair are now as old as my 1977 Spit 1500 was when I bought it in 2001.

It’s inevitable, apart from TR5s and white Mk2 Vitesse convertibles, they aren’t making them anymore. 

That GT6 is nice but not that price nice. Like any market economy, the buyers will decide if it’s worth it. 

My TR6 is for sale, I’ll see what the market thinks it’s worth! 

• 2 weeks later...

You would be hard-pushed to restore a GT6 to that standard for the money asked - to put it into perspective, Mathewsons recently sold a Mk2 RS2000 'barn find' - off the road for decades, probably 120k on the clock.......with a stoved-in rear, nearside quarter & a very rusty roof, for the same (or very similar money) as being asked for this GT6! Superbly restored cars will always attract a premium price.

The oil filler cap presents a discordant note - perhaps just a 'stopgap' - maybe the new one dropped off after not being fitted properly....or being defective, more likely if new replacement. Was the grille black originally - it doesn't seem to look right?? That said, that car looks superb & worth the money!    

That's some way above "concours original" money IMO.  And it's neither.

The real killer for me is the panel fit, which is just appalling and doesn't bode well for attention to detail elsewhere.  The absence of overdrive is a further disappointment at that price as is the strange fit of the sunroof (looks too big) and the sex-toy gear knob......

Nick

2 hours ago, mikeyb said:

Another annoying knock of this is that the insurance premiums are roaring up in line with the increasing valuations 😕

Ah, I'd not seen that yet. Saying that I haven't attempted to properly value mine - not wanting to hear the bad news 😂 - so maybe if I did the premium would shoot up. 
What sort of increase have you seen @mikeyb ?

I'll be honest and say I haven't been watching Triumph prices so much. I bought my Spitfire because I was looking for something fairly specific and this fit the bill.

Since buying I have had (online) conversations and most models except the Spitfires seem to be going up greatly in price.

For a long time I was thinking of getting a Porsche 924 as I was thinking of where I could put the kids. Back in 2010 you could get a TÜV approved (MOT) Porsche 924 for around 5k€. Now you can't find one under 10k€....

I think there are several things affecting the prices:

1. Covid: People have time to spend on them . You see this with other hobbies like model railroads and slot cars (Scalextric). In fact I see that as things open up the trend here is going back...

2. The death of internal combustion engines (ICEs): With ICEs not being made from 2030/2035 in most places  I think people are trying to get cars that they understand.

3. Nostalgia: Boomers, Gen Xer etc are not old enough and have enough money to actually indulge in things that remind them of their younger days....

27 minutes ago, RobPearce said:

premium went up 50%

pfff... that must be bad for folks with several Triumphs.

You know I never actually wanted to own an expensive or collectable car. When I bought the GT6 someone close to me said "oh a Triumph, didn't fancy something like an Austin Healey or a bit nicer?" hah. snobbish. Ah well. I reckon the state it's in now it'll be worth about the same as it was in lovely condition in 2005 😂

21 minutes ago, Ben Hutchings said:

pfff... that must be bad for folks with several Triumphs

Well, for context, the previous premium for three Triumphs, unlimited mileage, with recovery, was less than the basic insurance on the modern, which needs AA cover on top (not to mention road tax)

My TR6 sold yesterday, I let the buyer haggle me down a little as to be honest, I felt my asking price was optimistic. 

It turned into a bit of an epic to get paid as he was hoping to use his Santander account but all Santander transactions were down yesterday, including cash points! We got there in the end but it was an epic.

It's gone to Cambridge to share a garage with a Rolls Royce and a Sinclair C5!

3 hours ago, Jason said:

all Santander transactions were down yesterday

Ugh yes caught me out too, but I was only trying to buy tokens for the Dogems at a local fun fair 😂

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I let the buyer haggle me down a little

Good, they’ll be less likely to call you up about silly little things they find wrong with it 😂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Hutchings said:

Good, they’ll be less likely to call you up about silly little things they find wrong with it 😂

Fair point well made, he was a decent buyer, a little hard to read but didn't nit pick the car - it's a 50+ year old car for driving not a museum piece - so there's plenty 'wrong' with it, that's why it wasn't £30k 🙂 

Didn't stop me worrying about whether he got home safe!

On 10/05/2021 at 12:30, Ben Hutchings said:

pfff... that must be bad for folks with several Triumphs.

You know I never actually wanted to own an expensive or collectable car. When I bought the GT6 someone close to me said "oh a Triumph, didn't fancy something like an Austin Healey or a bit nicer?" hah. snobbish. Ah well. I reckon the state it's in now it'll be worth about the same as it was in lovely condition in 2005 😂

It was, increased from £550 to £1100 last year, and that wasn't changing the valuations much.

git it back down to £650 by going elsewhere.,

• Like 1