Ignition switch conundrum

MTFC Derek

I have a 1969 Triumph Herald. I had to take the ignition switch off for other repairs and when looking to put it back referred to the wiring diagram and that is where I became confused. I have a brown wire. I have the correct wires too [red/white in 1, white in 2 and blue/brown in 3. I don't want to mess things up by trial and error so have put the brown in 4. Without it the car will not run. With it the car continues to run when switch is switched to off. 

Can any one help. It worked OK before. And you smart arses don't need to say I should have made a diagram or took a photo - I know that now.

Cheers  

My WSM agrees with That Man, although this surprised me a little as the Spitfire, GT6, Vitesse and others all have plain Brown in place of the Brown/Blue. However, I think I can see how your mis-wiring results in the symptoms you describe so swapping 1 & 3 should fix it. I don't know what your spare brown wire is for, though.

Given the effect it had I suspect it's exactly what it "claims" - Brown means battery +ve, un-fused. But why it's there is a mystery as it looks like Heralds keep the plain Brown all under the bonnet and use the Brown/Blue off the regulator for all the dash wiring.