Commision/chassis numbers

Alastair

I think I've been misreading the chassis number on my car, as it appears it is "CR503  O" (with the gap), I was interpretaing this as CR5030, but is this really CR503 with Overdrive? The car has overdrive and was first registered 1973 (M).. . But the vehicle ident list gives 1972 ('73 spec) builds as CR169-CR664. Could I be saving myself road tax?

On a seperate, but not entirely unrelated note, I've seen M registration vehicles in the classic press displaying the old black and silver registration plates - surely the new white and yellow is compulsory from (and including) M onwards?

Alastair

Hi Alastair,

The 'O' on my spitfire commision plate stands for overdrive, so id imagine the same would apply for the TR6.

To get confirmation on the tax situation ring up the motor heritage centre in Gaydon, they will tell you over the phone if your vehicle was manufactured before January 1973. I did this with my L reg mkiv spitfire and discovered it was built in December 1972, very lucky indeed  ;D

Ash

• 6 months later...

As a belated follow-up.. . the Heritage Certficate confirmed the chassis number as CR503 and firmly placed the manufacture in December '72. DVLA not only amended the V5 to Historic Vehicle, but also corrected the chassis number on the document to replace the Zero with a space and a "O". The joy of tax-free (well, road fund at least)motoring.. .

Alastair

PS
"Hi" to TR6 xxx 610L  (or was it 601L?) who I gave a wave to in King's Lynn yesterday.. .

Archived