Rear wheel bearings - what special tools needed ?

franksm

Hey gang

Looking at the procedure to replace the bearings within the rear hub, there's lots of mention of using special service tools. No description, though, of what the tools actually do.

Any ideas ?

I really hate to buy new half-shafts just to get new bearings, when the bearing kit is 1/10th of the cost.

Cheers

Frank

Thanks Richard, was looking at Paddocks and only saw that they sell either the halfshafts or the bearing kit alone.

Just checking the Chris Witor site... it says what he sells is "Rear hub, good S/H, smooth bearings, no excessive play" or "Rear hub bearing kit... requires special tools to fit". Fitting s/h parts is just too random for me. Might be as well maybe to find out what the special tools are and buy those + the bearing kit.

Adam: g'day, didn't know you were here ! Long time. Yeah, this is my current project - bodily great, but mechanics and electrics are "work in progress" even though I'm using the car 3 days a week.

Quote:
Rear hub bearing kit: TImken brand name bearings split pin, tab washer, collapsible
spacer and original steel cased leather lipped seals that are not prone to leaking grease into
the brakes as rubber cased seals found in cheap kits often do. (Requires special tools to fit) ........ £27.50
Supply and fit new bearing kit (as above) to rear hub including precision re-facing of any bent
flange, and replacement of inner adjuster seal collar where necessary. (exchange deposit £47.00) £99.87

From his website :-  the price has gone up from when I bought a pair.

Hi Frank :Special tools as in instructions.  I'm working from the ilustrations at the back of the paper version of the  Repair Operations Manual. If you want I can scan the pages and send them to you.

S318 Halfshaft assembly holding jig.  Fits in your bench vice. the universal joint slips into it and the shaft is held rigid.    I'm sure it makes the whole operation a lot easier.

M86C.   Rear Hub Remover. Bolts onto the rear hub.  Large screw is then forced down through it against stub shaft to separate hub from shaft.   I used these in my local garage years ago when "Mechanics" tackled most things. Shouldn't be too hard to borrow. Or your local Friendly man might do it for you.

S4221A is described as a multi purpose hand press. Fairly standard

Adaptor 16 is an outer Taper Bearing remover/replacer adaptor . Might just be Stag specific if you are unlucky

S317 Rear Hub adjusting nut wrench.   Large flat wrench used to adjust bearing end float and hold nut in place whilst tightening outer lock nut.

I have never done this job on a Stag but it doesn't look as if there is anything so special that your local (classic?) garage couldn't do the job for you for a lot less than the difference of £70 sterling per side plus a hefty carriage fee.

Brian

Ballykine43 wrote:

S318 Halfshaft assembly holding jig .  Fits in your bench vice. the universal joint slips into it and the shaft is held rigid.    I'm sure it makes the whole operation a lot easier.

M86C.   Rear Hub Remover . Bolts onto the rear hub.  Large screw is then forced down through it against stub shaft to separate hub from shaft.   I used these in my local garage years ago when "Mechanics" tackled most things. Shouldn't be too hard to borrow. Or your local Friendly man might do it for you.

S317 Rear Hub adjusting nut wrench.    Large flat wrench used to adjust bearing end float and hold nut in place whilst tightening outer lock nut.

I have never done this job on a Stag but it doesn't look as if there is anything so special that your local (classic?) garage couldn't do the job for you for a lot less than the difference of £70 sterling per side plus a hefty carriage fee.

got all of these - picked em up cheap at an autojumble years ago.  I'm in Essex, you are welcome to borrow if you wanna have a go!

Looking at the book the other thing you will need is a DTI.

Rgds

Mike!

Thanks Brian, Mike. I actually have the "Repair Operation Manual" so can see those tools now...

I'm miles from you guys unfortunately, but thanks for the offer.

S318 (holding jig) sounds easy enough to do without
M86C that looks like the doosy right there - sounds like a hub puller - think I've seen such things in Halfords/etc
S317 no idea - looks like I could take a standardish wrench and grind it into such a shape

Wonder how diffficult it is to replace the bearings once it's all apart - shouldn't think it would be too bad, bearings are bearings.

Anyway, a job for the winter I think ;-)

I very much doubt a Halfords / Draper type hub puller will do anything - the tool will break first, i.e. threads will "give way".  A bell shaped puller, combined with heat (we're not talking blow lamp) and "whacking" with a large hammer may get some movement but you're likely to damage the hub flange. This approach is likely to be far more effective:

http://members.visi.net/~kohout/hubpull.html

Best of luck

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

I own all the special factory tools to do this job and have done over sixty rear hubs.
The special Churchill hub puller never fails,but comes close on occasions.Its base is substantial and hence no bent flanges result.The hydraulic portion exerts about 20 tons but this will not usually release the items until several heavy blows are struck on the base.The special vice holder is very useful and can be frabriated out of steel plate.Two spanners can be made by 32mm flat steel plate about 5mm thick ( Thickness of thin locking nut ) cut into four pieces and welded together to form spanner shape ( tee with two legs ) A conventional Pickavant bearing puller can remove the Large bearing on the back of the flange but will damage the bearing as there is no recess behind the bearing.This puller will also remove the small bearing from the spindle after the nuts run out of thread.I never use a crushable sleeve when rebuilding but do use my experienced feel and a heavy punch through either of the two holes in the flange can correct any over tightening.
NB Take the outer nut right off to dismantle,discard the washer for the time being , if castle nut put on backwards to same height as spindle to save damage to end of spindle thread and to stop the whole assembly exploding on to the floor when it comes apart .Nyloc ,just replace without washer in place.
Stay away from the gas torch and the press,not a job really for DIY light weight tools.Very easy to reassemble. Cheers John

franksm wrote:
Thanks John - sounds a bit too heavy duty for me and my limited toolbox :(

Where did you get these tools ? Guess in this day & age, classic car marts would be the only choice & even then... needle/haystack

I purchased the massive puller secondhand about 16 years from a chap that worked at a Leyland dealership that closed down for $nz200.00.I broke the cast steel holder a few years back and made a new out of Steel plate welded together.The two adjusting spanners were easy to make. The Sykes Pickavant bearing set ( with bearing plate ) years ago cost a small fortune.You really are better to bite the bullet and pay the piper otherwise it will become even more costly.

Earlparts in Derby did me a set of exchange recon rear driveshafts for about £160 for the pair (new bearing, new U/js, new rubber sleeves, all painted up) they looked great and are in the car now.

I spoke to them yesterday, as I want a set doing for the Stag. They can do it as the bearings and U/Js are the same on Saloons and Stags, but I think some of the driveshafts are actually longer.

Good service, good price I think.

Rgds

Alan

The rear half shafts from a Mk1 saloon are shorter than a MK2 saloon and/or stag.To put MK1 half shafts in a wide track car like the latter could result in the half shafts popping out whilst flying across a hump back bridge or similar.Whilst the saloon and stag u/js are the same dimensions the STAG u/js are held in place by staking the case or if replaced later ,by the use of washers spot welded in place.Personally I prefer to use all Saloon rear axle components in stags as they are more easily replaced by DIY.The outer flange from a stag is more meater than a saloon but fits all spindles with the same width key.However the Datsun axles on my stag have been in use for more than 20 years without any problems as the suspension components do not have to contend with side loading due to spline lock.Cheers John

• 2 weeks later...

Archived