Ginetta G15 Restoration

John Bonnett

I've been told that because the G15 is fitted with Triumph Spitfire front suspension it qualifies for inclusion in this section. I hope that is the case and that this thread doesn't offend anybody.

We collected the car yesterday from Sutton in Ashfield north of Nottingham; a round trip of 530 miles. It took two hours to load the truck because of the magnitude of Imp blocks, engines, gearboxes and cylinder heads. Not to mention the boxes of assorted bits many of which i haven't a clue what they are.

I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the body and the chassis which is a replacement supplied by the factory over twenty years ago. The car has never been together in the tenure of the current owner who bought it in pieces more or less as it is at the moment. No, that's a bit unfair because he bought many new parts including the Revolution wheels and set of Dunlops and the sunroof has been filed in very nicely. Sorting through the stuff today I came across some real gems; new seat harnesses, front calipers, new lamps and engine cover hinges as well as other goodies.

Once I've catalogued and stowed everything I can turn my attention to the chassis. I understand that there are some inherent weaknesses which can be addressed by welding in gussets and stiffeners. The body is only held with two bolts and two people can lift it so I'm not expecting too much trouble in getting it off. More to follow.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know, I wouldn't dream of saying this on the GOC but i cannot believe how crude it all is. The steering column is attached to a flimsy bit of angle by an exhaust clamp and the suspension towers can almost be pushed together. The wishbone mounts are non adjustable so unless Canley adjustable top wishbones are used the camber is what it is. The Imp trailing arms are mounted to a cross member made from folded sheet. As soon as the body is off I post a few pictures. I'd be glad of you comments.

The body itself is very nicely moulded and in excellent condition. It is so thin that with the light behind it you can see right through it. No wonder it's so light.

I'm sorry Alex, I have to crack on with it. I need to still be agile enough to get in it when it's finished. The roof is an inch and a half lower than the GT6. 😉

Sounds like there are plenty of opportunities for significant improvement then John.  I quite like that in a car as it makes me feel useful.....  

I'm sure you are more than equal to the task and I look forward to seeing pics 🙂.  I know a man (slightly) who is a serious wizard with the Imp engine which could be useful if you are planning to stay with the Imp running gear.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
Sounds like there are plenty of opportunities for significant improvement then John.  I quite like that in a car as it makes me feel useful.....  

I'm sure you are more than equal to the task and I look forward to seeing pics 🙂.  I know a man (slightly) who is a serious wizard with the Imp engine which could be useful if you are planning to stay with the Imp running gear.

Nick

Thank you Nick. Yes I am planning on staying with the Imp engine so I would appreciate your friend's help. One or two people are going over to te BMW K series engines which are built more to car standards than bikes, similar size and weight and fit the Imp transaxle. A secondhand K1000 can be picked up for about 500GBP but other costs could take the final figure up to 2k. Still cheaper than building a 998 Imp engine and with all the advantages of a modern design. But for me if I am going to keep the Triumph I need to keep the costs to a minimum on this project so a simple Imp sport engine rebuild should be the cheapest option.

Really looking forward to this rebuild

I suppose they could argue that as it's such a light car it doesn't need as beefy construction, which although technically true doesn't quite justify wobbly suspension mounts...

Looking forward to picking up where these can be improved as one of my mates was looking for one as his first classic car rebuild.

Quoted from Nick Jones

Huh, it never occurred to me to look at it that way. Maybe that's why I like cars from the British Leyland era so much (as well as the same era of Alfas and Lancias with the odd Maserati Biturbo thrown in). There's so much for me to improve I feel very useful indeed!

Said this before on this forum, but I nearly came to selling my GT6 in 85 to give funds to pick up a G15, fantatsic machines.

Used to be a chap who competed in hillclimbs in a G15, think his name was Andy Harrison, bloomin' fast at Gurston Down. Orange G15 on Revolution wheels. magnificent machine.

Good luck.

Stretching the 'Special's aspect of this segment of the forum, but surely not an issue.

Thank you Tim. Fingers crossed and we'll give it a go.

The body came off today so that I can start work on the chassis. Although it is a new replacement chassis (as has never been used on the road), it is over twenty years old and for much of that time stored outdoors. Not surprising that there's some rust but nothing too serious.  One of the cross members needs replacing and a small bit of one longitudinal rail needs to have a  piece cut out and replaced. So all good news.

Have a look at the way the lower wishbone is mounted. I can see no reason why they had to do it that way. Plan is to cut the bracket off and fit a Triumph one that can be adjusted with shims.

Good to see you have a new project, enjoy seeing your work.

Quoted from John Bonnett
I've been told that because the G15 is fitted with Triumph Spitfire front suspension it qualifies for inclusion in this section.

Does that mean my Beam does as well, it has a Girling servo as used on Triumphs & believe it or not the same headlights, even bullet wiring connectors! 😉

RR

Quoted from RedRooster
Good to see you have a new project, enjoy seeing your work.

Does that mean my Beam does as well, it has a Girling servo as used on Triumphs & believe it or not the same headlights, even bullet wiring connectors! 😉

RR

Yes it's all a bit tenuous isn't it Brad. I have to say that right at the outset I didn't feel comfortable about writing it up on this forum and Tim obviously feels the same. I think perhaps it might be the right thing to remove the thread.

cheers

John

Quoted from thescrapman
John

Don't be so hasty. The car is more than "special" enough to be included on this forum.

Whatever it consists of, it is the engineering and you solutions to compromises made 40+ years ago that interests us.

And we also,want the chance to help suggest some solutions

Cheers

Colin

Thank you Colin. I feel quite touched. I will continue on the basis that the Mods are okay with it. Give them a few days to consider and if i have their approval then post a few more photos. I'm cutting out rusty bits of chassis at the moment which I'm thoroughly enjoying.

I keep looking at the body and thinking how nice it would look in polished aluminium 🙂

John,
the moderators do an important job of making sure the forum and us the users are not abused by spammers, insults and personal wars. I don't think your thread will fit into any of those and just because it is not 100% Triumph does not mean it cannot be included.

I think you have the support of the majority of the forum members who are also club members and I see no reason whatsoever that the mods and or committee should not give you a one off licence to post this thread. As Colin said we are ALL interested in hearing about the progress and after you excellent previous thread I am really looking forward to this one.

John, keep up the great work and interesting posts.

AndyF

P.S. come on Mods, give us a sign

John,

Looking at that chassis, it looks in far better nick than some of the ones I saw when I was at Ginetta. That back end for the trailing arm mounts does not look right to me - the ones I built used the Imp rear heel panel essentially chopped out of an Imp and grafted in. This was then braced with gussets to the cross-member.

One job I did was to make the engine more easily removable, so we kicked the chassis up and swung the original Imp mount underneath it, which meant the engine could slide out under the chassis. Although I don't have access to the tooling any more I do have the technical data for the G15 model, so if you need any dimensions for the chassis, give me a shout.

Another job I did a lot on them was changing the points where the body mounts to have welded in tubes through the chassis, as originally they were just drilled holes, so the box section would crush when the bolts were tightened up.

What I was given by the customer...

Hillman Imp Heel panel in the jig - looks a bit different to yours John!

Rear Kick Over Mount

Substantially modified rear end - now box section etc and not bent sheet like the original

And the finished article before I vanned it cross country to it's customer