mk3 GT6 restoration

C130

Hi all, first Triumph ownership experience for me so could do with some pointers in respect to part suppliers (breakers and new) and a bit of an attack plan as I haven't restored a car in a while so any tips from anyone who has recently undertaken a full restoration would be welcome.

Current ideas for restoration is to modify the car with modern running gear and double wishbone suspension on the rear. But this is miles off yet!

Welcome onboard...

Could do with bit more info on the current state of your new acquisition - Is it a basket case....or just a bit tired etc...

Recently put mine back on the road after body-off resto (still not finished, but on the road) - This was my first 'full' nut and bolt project, and one thing above all that I learnt, was DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY until the very end (oh, and that I actually don't know everything 😀)

Also, take lots of pics before/during/after etc..

And on here.....well, everything from normal to nutty  

Looks pretty presentable already! Rust on a white car often looks worse than it is - would it need much work to get back on the road in standard form before you start modifying it? I ask for two reasons - firstly, it'll give you an idea of what you think needs changing and what's fine as standard, and second, if you extensively modify it as part of a ground-up restoration, a straightforward job will turn into a years-long and seemingly never-ending rebuild. Ask me how I know...

As for modifying options... if it has rotoflex rear suspension, then it already has a pseudo double wishbone setup. The leaf spring doubles as an upper wishbone, and the camber change is much less than with swing spring cars. And they handle OK too.

The Triumph engine can be modernised with electronic fuel injection and ignition, as well as tweaked to give as much power as most people need. Have a look at the 'Dipped in Green Glass' thread to see what I've done. Likewise, the gearbox can be replaced with a stronger 5-speed, and there are a couple of options to strengthen or replace the diff.

Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun!

There is a huge amount of work involved with the tub- it is rotten! Somebody has started to upgrade it- stainless flexis, suspension rebuild, even came with a brand new set of interior coverings.

I have my heart set on plumbing a modern motor and running gear in due to the fact that a simple rebuild of the straight 6 would cost more than the donor vehicle. That's before I have rebuilt the carbs and even looked at modifying with a better cam, 2.5 crank, uprated diff and CV conversion

That doesn't look 'rotten' - panel gaps look good, door shut lines seem pretty good too....also bumpers look very good.

Obviously, photos can be deceiving, but it does look like a lot of 'surface' stuff - my guess its either been outside fully covered in a tarp or something (condensation is the enemy), or stored in a shed with open sides.

All the small chassis triumphs are simple machines - meaning there is very little to break down / go wrong and kept tip-top with minimal routine stuff.

Of course one can upgrade/modernise/etc.. til you've spent all your money and then some more

Check out gt6ls1.com for a rather nice 'upgrade'

be prepared to be shocked when you take your screen out! That's what mine looked like initially, just thought it was a bit of scab, turned out to be a non existant corner 🤔 same on the other side too. + water will have got into the a post and possible eaten into that to...  But look on the bright side you will know your car will be solid with no hidden nasties when you fix it! keep the pics coming 🙂

Quoted from C130
Couple of Joey questions: is the GT6 door the same as a Spitfire MK4? And which are the best autojumbles to get along to?

Thanks

GT6 mk3 door is the same as a MKIV & 1500 door 🙂
But you got a quaterlight on the gt6 that you need to transfer then to the spitfire door (holes already there).

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of badly repaird accident damage. Poorly repaired and paint about 1.5mm thick. Found out it used to be Saffron which is a nice surprise as I wasn't too keen on the white.

If I lift the body with these sills, is the shell likely to distort?

I notice that you have the rear shockers located at the top on the original mounts, often called cheeses as they look like a triangular section of cheese. Have a good look at the these mounts and the surrounding inner wheel arch area. They can rot out and as there are 3 skins of metal at this point it is awkward/difficult to see corrosion. The 3 skins are inner wheel arch, strengthening plate and suspension mount.

It is possible to buy the triangular sections and in my opinion well worth replacing as the longer travel shocker units give a better ride.

Good luck with the project.

• 2 months later...

I noticed in you other thread about fitting the RX8 rear subframe etc to the GT6 so I have some questions

How will you overcome the few inches of track as the RX8 is wider?
Will you use the RX8 6Spd Gearbox as well?

The reason I ask is that we are planning to put a rotary (N/A 12B from a S1 RX7) in our next spitfire project