Is it beyond restoration ?

nick_e

Hi

I have a 1975 Dolomite Sprint which has been off the road for nearly 8 years - other than a couple of relocations.  I am keen to get it back on the road but it needs some welding for an mot.  As some of you guys will have some more up to date experience than I have, I would be gratefull to hear your thoughts on whether it will be economically viable to get fixed.

To try and give a general picture of the car - mechanically ok, bodywise - everything above the floor pan appears sound enough.  Front wings are fine, front valance external and internal panels are very poor.  Doors / rear wings going in the usual places !  Many of the more common areas for rot on the dolomite are showing no sign of problems.

What it needs for mot -

1) there is a large hole in the side of the front chassis rail - where the rear of the subframe mount is.  Can this be patched or will in need a new rail ??

2) Sills - NS and OS.  holes at the jacking points and ends of the sills.  Agian, can these be patched or am I looking at new inner / outer sills??

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

Sills are available, although from your description it's more likely you'll need outers and the structural bit that lives inside the box section. I think chassis rails are becomming available now too.

But so long as you do a good enough job of it, and don't mind it looking less than perfect, there's no reason not to patch if it keep the car on the road. All of mine have so far been patched, although the red one is slowly getting new (or at least very good s/h) panels wherever possible.

• 2 months later...

Nothing is beyond restoration! This was my starting point.

http://groups.msn.com/TriumphDolomiteSprint/vlkrestoration.msnw?Page=1

The TDC are manufacturing repair panels for chassis legs, doors, wings, full outer cills, cill reinforcers, boot floors, boot lips, inner headlamp panels and d posts and will shortly be doing front valences in glass fibre.

Archived