GT6 restoration. Why did I take this on!

John Bonnett

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel your pain.... seriously what else would you do with you spare time, Holiday on the coast  walking in the warm evening glow of an Australian summer evening (I'm in Aust ) sipping a well rounded cab sav, eating oysters from the shell and watching the world go by wondering what the poor are doing??? Well the poor people are restoring their Triumph sports cars.... speaking from experience, and this is just the tip of the iceberg at my place....i am doing a MK1 spitfire, a 49 series 1 land-rover, a 70 VW bug for the daughter's first car and converting a Nissan civilian bus into a camper so i can go on that Holiday, one day maybe, i hope , i dream... hmmm, i restore so i am poor, remember that mantra... and enjoy because the end resault will be the envy of all those who only wish they could do what you are doing... keep up the good work, it will be worth it!

Thank you, each and everyone, for your very kind remarks. If it had not been for your encouragement right at the outset, I might well have thrown in the towel before I'd even begun. I'm very pleased that I didn't and am really enjoying putting life back into the car. Along the way, I have found some very knowledgeable and helpful suppliers who have made the whole job so much easier.

All being well, the bare engine and gearbox will be back in the chassis by early next week and then the body can be fitted. So, exciting times!

regards

John

Thanks Jim. Do you have any pictures of your rebuild? It was quite a landmark when I was able to remove the axle stands and have the chassis sitting on its wheels and able to roll. You can't be far away from that stage. Quite exciting isn't it?

I'm hoping to put the engine and gearbox in over the weekend which I hoping will compress the suspension a bit. The front springs are phenomenally stiff; I certainly cannot compress them by standing on the chassis. I've heard that the engine weighs 400lbs and I'm starting to believe it!

regards

John

339 wrote:
Looking great John but why didn't you have the inside painted while you were at it?

Well, this was always going to be a budget rebuild but you are probably right I  should have done it but as an OAP I have to make every penny count so it was not done on the grounds of cost. However everything is sound and rustfree and will be covered either by trim or carpet.

The engine is now in place in the chassis just ready for final bolt tightening so all well at the moment.

John

I think Nicks idea is worth it because if you are like me every time i would lift the carpet i would regret not having done it!! I also find that even the expensive moulded carpets don't stay in place very well and can expose the floor.   Colour is great!  Glad it's not red!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :B

I use tractor enamel from the local agricultural supplier. Good range of colours, durable finish and easily mixed to change a shade. For example on the Stag which is an orange shade of Pimento, I found that an approx 50/50 mix of Case Tractor Red and Howard Rotavator Orange is a damn good match for inside and underneath (see my blog, linked below).  Of course if you have a decent coat of paint insode the floorpan, it will be much better at keeping any water that may get in, away from the metal!

Thank you for your replies chaps. You've sold me on the idea, you are absolutely right every time the carpet ruckled up it would annoy me. I'll definitely brush some blue on before the trim goes in.

And Smithy- I thank you  :)

I've just bolted the engine into the frame and there is still an awful lot of positive camber. I know the body has yet to be fitted but the suspension is going to have to compress a fair bit more to bring the wheels near upright. I remember from my days of owning a Spitfire that the rear suspension only returned to normal once you'd driven away.

John

Well done Sir, truly impressive! is this the fastest rebuild in history?

To get the wheels more straight just roll the chassis forward and back a couple of feet, i suppose some weight would help. Not a worry though, it will settle in fine when you fire her up the first time and head out for a spin!

And to solve your boredom, please free to head over here and help me sort my brakes and a sticky carb :)

Well done again
Steve

Mecifully you say, there is going to be an enforced break from my ramblings partly because I've done as much as I can before the body goes on, but mainly because my wife is dragging me shouting and screaming from my workshop to go up to the Isle of Skye for a week or two's holiday. So, see you when I get back.  :)

John

• 3 weeks later...