GT6 restoration. Why did I take this on!

John Bonnett

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a long time since I posted any progress but progress has been made albeit at a slower rate than hoped for. Once the Exeter Trial was out of the way and the preparations leading up to the Event I made a start on upgrading the wiring.

I'm using fuse and relay boxes taken from a Rover 75 which have fitted in quite nicely; the relays in the engine bay and the fuses plus a few more relays in the driver's glove pocket. Both are easily accessible and weatherproof. A couple of pictures attached.

I've have yet to fit the heater/demister ducting and the rest of the dash. The section with the clocks is now in place.

So it's all coming together. I'm looking forward to plumbing in the Golf radiator which will make a welcome change from soldering and acrobatics in the footwells  ;D

You are all quite right, the whole thing is complete over-kill. I took the Rover route soley on the grounds of price. The boxes complete with fuses and relays all came from a scrap car in our local breakers at a fraction of the cost of new parts.

The brief I gave myself was to relay all the high consumption components with the additional facility of having the headlights turn off with the ignition and to fuse all the major circuits.

I've actually used only about ten fuses in the glove pocket fuse box so I have plenty of spares.  :P

firebobby I  added a couple of captions to the start up video. Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKkCJ8ee-k

Roy I will try to get up to Stoneleigh and will certainly look out for you.

regards

John

HI John, looking really good. I have a GT6 dashboard (I think it's a 6. maybe a Spit) which has been re-veneered, that is the veneer has been glued on, it needs trimming and varnishing with Fiddes but you are more than welcome to it. It's in storage in work at the mo so can check Monday.

Jason

4545 wrote:
HI John, looking really good. I have a GT6 dashboard (I think it's a 6. maybe a Spit) which has been re-veneered, that is the veneer has been glued on, it needs trimming and varnishing with Fiddes but you are more than welcome to it. It's in storage in work at the mo so can check Monday.

Jason

That's very kind of you Jason. I'd be pleased to have it if you don't need it. Please let me know how much.

John

I'd like to thank Jason for his generosity for not only giving me a GT6 dashboard but complete with the veneer to finish it off nicely. I'm really pleased Jason, thank you once again.

With the wiring out of the way, progress has been swift with the radiator. While in thanking mode, I'd like to thank Roy for the inspiration and information where I've needed it. It's really good to be able to tap into the enormous knowledge base here.

I know you like pictures so here are a few showing the Golf radiator installation.

John

junkuser wrote:
"I'd like to thank Jason for his generosity for not only giving me a GT6 dashboard but complete with the veneer to finish it off nicely. I'm really pleased Jason, thank you once again."

That was a very nice gesture on Jason's part.
Deserves admiration.

It's always nice to see there are some good honest people out there! It's a nice to help others, well done Jason!
Cheers
Shaun

• 2 weeks later...

Today, for the first time in 23 years, my GT6 moved under her own power; a real milestone that gave me great pleasure and I just wanted to share it with you. I would like to thank all of you who have offered  encouragement and constructive suggestions  which were a huge help particularly in the early days of the rebuild (as title)  :(

Here are a couple of pictures of the car in the light of day and a short YouTube video clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByLku2BSqeY

The car has no interior fitted apart from a driver's seat so there is still work to be done. But, we are getting there.

John