GT6 restoration. Why did I take this on!

John Bonnett

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

339 wrote:
Cool!  Great minds think alike!  middle setting on the spring seat is as good a start as any.  It may be wise to set the ride height on the car before Goodwood (sorry for stating the obvious!)

Now here's a plan. I could start off with your springs so I could then do all the messing about with ride height at home and not waste valuable track time. Quick matter to put the standard ones on at the  circuit.  Good thinking Tim, thank you.

3141 wrote:

Hi John, very good to hear from you and thank you for your kind words. What a nice situation to be in; to have a GT6 to drive and another to restore. It does actually take the pressure off getting it finished just so that you can drive it. Your car looks to be, as mine was, basically very sound and straight and a real pleasure to refurbish. I'm just coming up to 70 so no time to lose, (so much to do and so little time!  ;) that's why I pressed on with my resto and hopefully still time to build the Special.

Do keep us posted with your progress and plenty of pictures please.

Picked up the project today.  Unfortunately there is a lot less metal than what I was envisioning.  All wings, floors, bonnet and some of the chasis parts are now brown flaky 'used to be metal'.  This will be a challenging project, but am looking forward to it.  

Will definitely be using your posts as inspiration to keep me going through the dark days.

The cool thing is that I now own 2 1968 GT6 MK I's - # 10084 and 11039.  Both in signal red with black interior.  Want to get a Heritage Certificate for the 'new' car to see how close they were in the factory and whether they came across on the same boat.

jb

3141 wrote:

We are booked on the Pont Aven leaving Plymouth for Roscoff on 13th September as the first step in our run down to Bordeaux for a few days holiday. France has some lovely roads which really suit the GT6 and on the way, I'm hoping to call in at two or three Triumph friendly garages just to say hello. That reminds me I must get the breathalysers!

You can call in to see me if you want if i'm still at home, if not your welcome to use the garage for any running repairs, send me a PM & i'll end my contact no. & post code.

RR

242 wrote:

You can call in to see me if you want if i'm still at home, if not your welcome to use the garage for any running repairs, send me a PM & i'll end my contact no. & post code.

RR

That's very kind and it would be really good to meet up but I had a feeling that you were nearer to Saint Malo than Roscoff.

Anyway, I'll send PM down the wire.

timbancroft61 wrote:
I have had my mk2 since I was 22, now 51 and will never get rid, its part of me and my life. Driving the car is so instinctive, still love it.

JOhn, that is a good decision not to sell.

My only worry is that they are starting to hit higher prices and that will stop the young uns being able to buy them. They are such a small car that in these days of larger people I imagine many people who are in the later stages of life will not be able to fit into them! This will rule out the people who wish to have an old British sports car, they'll all buy TRs.

Good advantage is that they will become feasible to restore, however so many have been bodged!

JS Bulmer: Like the look of the reddish mk1, good luck and keep us all in touch with the resto.

Hello Tim id just like to restore your faith in "the young uns". Im 20 and Ive recently bought a GT6 MKII as a project so were still out there buying these cars and will look after these beautiful cars for many years to come (When your too old :p).

timbancroft61 wrote:
Lovely stuff, what a nice car.

Reckon the fans will be fine.

Are you taking to the Alps, if so, think about the silicon brake fluid. I had a bad experience with that stuff in the Alps back in 2005 boiling up, think about using conventional fluid.

Fantastic car and I hope that you have a great time driving her.

Yes, I too boiled a lot of silicon fluid in the Alps in my Spit

242 wrote:
Sorry folks for a non Triumph post, but heres the 66 Tiger, caught fire in 72 , badly shot blasted then left in a damp lockup for 30+ years.
I would really like a LAT vented bonnet, John.

http://www.sunbeamtiger.co.uk/index2.htm

just look for Brads Tiger.
RR

Found it. Brad I just love the Tiger. I competed in the '92 Mitsubishi Classic Marathon and Rosemary Smith was running close to  us in an ex-Works car. Had a few problems with overheating but the sound of the V8 was sheer music. Anyway  back to your bonnet, I'm going to have my hands very full with the project and making a Spitfire bonnet is a life's work in itself.

However, I have a friend in the metal shaping business who is very good and he may well be pleased to make you a bonnet. I can  let you have his email address if this is of interest. Considerably less work in a Tiger bonnet than a Spit I would have thought.

Mark is currently working on a half size Mercedes Streamliner. Pic attached.

Perhaps hear from you

John

John, can I pick your brains about your Golf rad / Astra header tank installation?

The header tank has 2 x 8mm outlets ; 1 which is connected to the 17mm outlet on the thermostat cover via a reducer pipe (which I've still to make). I'm assuming that the second one goes to the 8mm outlet on the top offside of the rad? Or have you just blanked these latter two off?

Many thanks              John

3310 wrote:
John, can I pick your brains about your Golf rad / Astra header tank installation?

The header tank has 2 x 8mm outlets ; 1 which is connected to the 17mm outlet on the thermostat cover via a reducer pipe (which I've still to make). I'm assuming that the second one goes to the 8mm outlet on the top offside of the rad? Or have you just blanked these latter two off?

Many thanks              John

You are quite right John, I've blanked them both off. I've not had a problem with airlocks so I don't think it is essential to connect the two.

Here are a few pictures of the installation on my car; I hope they are helpful.

John