GT6 MK2 restoration

TimW

Hope you will be posting regular updates on the rebuild Tim. I have had withdrawal symptoms since your EFI thread finished, always a good read and very informative. I am also partial to the MK2 GT6, I have just purchased another. So the one I was going to restore maybe up for sale soon, I have not decided yet whether to sell or restore, depends on how much I am inspired by your thread. I do have a couple of other projects to finish first though. (think).

timbancroft61 wrote:
Good luck with the rebuild Tim, I hope all goes well and that you end up with another superb example of these underrated cars.

Any idea of the mods that you will implement or will she be a standard car?

Standard Tim!  Wash your mouth out!!!!

Plan is

2.0l flat-top piston, balanced with a TR5 cam and ali radiator
Trunionless vertical links
CV drive shafts
EFI using bespoke inlet manifold with aluminium EFI fuel tank
Bumberless
alloy wheels
Tan interior (original colour)
Valencia Blue (original colour)

Hoping for 140-150 BHP and a 7000rpm rev limit :)

Tim,

Think long and hard about a bumperless front. I really regret having that done to mine, a bad mistake by me. Will rectify sometime and fit the rear bumpers back on.

Like the spec you have chosen, totally agree about using a 2.0L lump, I agree with James Carruthers about this in that sports cars should be revvy and the GT6/Vitesse 2.0L lump is the best iteration of the Triumph six cylinder engine. I have a spare 2.0 short engine now and intend to build up a lovely free revving engine. Something to be done when funds allow.

I am looking forward to seeing how you get on with it all, keep us all informed with your progress. Especially looking forward to seeing some of the trick alloy parts that you will fabricate.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Tim,

Think long and hard about a bumperless front. I really regret having that done to mine, a bad mistake by me. Will rectify sometime and fit the rear bumpers back on.

Like the spec you have chosen, totally agree about using a 2.0L lump, I agree with James Carruthers about this in that sports cars should be revvy and the GT6/Vitesse 2.0L lump is the best iteration of the Triumph six cylinder engine. I have a spare 2.0 short engine now and intend to build up a lovely free revving engine. Something to be done when funds allow.

I am looking forward to seeing how you get on with it all, keep us all informed with your progress. Especially looking forward to seeing some of the trick alloy parts that you will fabricate.

Hi Tim

Already having the 2.5 in the Mk3 I wanted to try a 2.0L.  I do like a revvy engine but I also like the 2.5 torque for the long distance events.  The MK2 will be used for trackdays and autosolos.  
I don't have to think about the front bumper. IMHO the GT6 MK2 front bumper position is just about the worst design decision that Triumph ever made.  I think it ruins a fantastic looking.  Each to their own :) :)

Tim,
I have a couple of lower A post repair panels (Steelcraft) and some sill endplates surplus to requirements, also an inner rear wing panel may have some other bits available, need to sort through my spares, if you are interested. I am going to sell my GT6 as it is as I think I have enough un-finished projects to keep my going for the foreseeable future without starting another.

All the best
Spider.

Hi Spider

Yes please

R/H A post repair (I have 2 L/H already)
I already have sill end plates
Inner rear wing repair needed for both sides

PM me with some cost for whatever you have and I'll either have a drive over or if your off to stoneleigh maybe we can meet there?

I am also going to need

Drivers floor
rear drivers wing repair front and rear
driver and pass outer and inner cills (have the strengtheners)

worcester19 wrote:
Hi Tim,

I wondered what had happenned to your other project. I noticed that your shell has a hole cut out for a sunroof. I still have an old section of roof if you need it- this was about the only solid part on the old shell!

Stephen

It's a trimcraft fabric sunroof so will be staying.  Thanks for the offer.  Do you want the diff mounting bracket off the spare chassis?

339 wrote:

Plan is

2.0l flat-top piston, balanced with a TR5 cam and ali radiator
Trunionless vertical links
CV drive shafts
EFI using bespoke inlet manifold with aluminium EFI fuel tank
Bumberless
alloy wheels
Tan interior (original colour)
Valencia Blue (original colour)

Hoping for 140-150 BHP and a 7000rpm rev limit :)

Hey hey, this is gonna be a great thread. It lacks only one thing... more pictures!

I've never liked Valencia - a lot of locally assembled saloons in New Zealand were painted Valencia, and the NZ saloon paint range seemed slightly skewed compared to the UK equivalents. We could always spot a UK-assembled saloon because the colours were more attractive! NZ Valencia reminded me of my aunt's old cardigans, but maybe the UK shade will be better. Can't wait to see it, Tim!