My GT6 restoration thread -updated 7/3/08

byakk0

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JohnD wrote:
Irish,
Why is red ectoplasm coming out of the engine?
Do you need to call GhostBusters?
(Remember - DON'T cross the streams!)
Nhoj

That's my super-nitrous expulsion system!   ;D

Just some shop towels stuck into the intake so no junk gets in there!

Irish

Major milestone in getting the body off this is when the pace seemed to increase for me as i just loved stripping it all off and then cleaning/painting it all again and of course re-assembly, it seemed to take a while to get the underside of the tub cleaned and painted but it's also a great day when the tub goes back on (lot's more room again).

Best of luck

^^ that is the truth! This evening I:
- took frame measurements on the replacement frame to be sure everything was straight (it was)
- painted the frame with POR-15 chassis coast black
- cleaned up some fittings (tranny mount and others)
- pulled the transmission
- started with a wire brush cleaning the bellhousing

tranny

bellhousing, partially cleaned up

10 years of surface rust on the clutch/flywheel

frame painted!

sent a few old, rusty parts to get shot-peened. Not only do they look great, but shot-peening strengthens the fatigue point on metal parts.

these were "test" parts, but I will be sending my uprights, axles, spindles, and a few other things to get done eventually:

before:

after:

Richard_B wrote:
Did you know you can get Rotaflex wishbones and vertical links in aluminium?

yep, I'm quite familiar with Canley....have some of their parts already.

Reducing weight in the rear end isn't really a concern, though. It's the front that needs to lose weight. :) And on a set budget for this build, those components in aluminum rank very low on the list of things I need...

sbarc wrote:
The metal suspension parts looks like they are painted or powder coated in silver.  Are these coated or it this bare metal?

Everything is looking very good....the trans looks excellent.

nope, that's bare metal. I'm tempted to just use some coats of clearcoat on them rather than painting black, just because they look so nice! :) You can see the litte dots all over them (the tiny ones, not the metal pitting), which is the impact of the shot peening. Leaves little tiny dimples all over the metal, which strengthens it.

Still need to make sure everything is good to go inside the trans. Did a quick inspect and everything looked to be in good shape, but I'll disassemble to make sure. Wanted to de-gunkify the exterior so it's not so damn messy to handle!

more or less finished the passenger front suspension/hub/spindle rebuild! Still have to do the brakes (rotors/calipers/lines) and sway bar.

Here's the undone one of the "old" car:

And the redone setup on the "new" car:

Also pulled the steering rack off the "old" car to clean it up and check parts. Also there is a second old steering rack off my parts car, but it's pretty rusty...

today managed to finish the passenger front suspension (except the sway bar) and start putting together the driver's side. Also rebuilt and cleaned the steering rack, though the new boots haven't arrived yet, and went ahead and ran the main rear brake lines and fuel lines (re-used the stainless lines that I already had). This weekend hopefully will complete the front-end steering and suspension, and start rebuilding the front brake calipers. Then will start on the rear...

front suspension coming together

brake and fuel lines

the old frame is starting to look more bare :)

irish44j wrote:
tomorrow's first order of business before anything else is going to be to clean up and put tools away. Starting to have a hard time finding things and my workbench is a disaster area  :-/

very familiar with that problem, I usually spend more time looking for tools than actually using them!!!

timbancroft61 wrote:
Sorry to be a bore, turn the shockers around by 180 degrees, the adjuster is more accessible.

Totally... And then when your at the track you love getting under there ;)

I use some Castrol Motorbike grease to keep the adjusters rust free. Use it on the drop links for my sway bar too.

I remember this phase in my project. Feels like it was yesterday...

A.