My GT6 restoration thread -updated 7/3/08

byakk0

Richard_B wrote:

You might have a clearance problem with the plate over the diff. Might I suggest you get a die and cut the threads a bit lower and the shorten the studs to suit.

Looking good though!

oh yeah, wow what about the screwdriver?

yep, I had that in mind as well. But the tub isn't going on the frame for quite a while, so I'll worry about that when the time comes. :)

Oh, the screwdriver....

;D

I dunno if I want to tell now. It seems to be a mystery and nobody will post in my thread if I tell the secret!

(I was using it as a "chisel" for a different project, as I could not find a narrow chisel. Apparently screwdrivers don't like being hit with a 5lb. mini-sledge! But....Sears will replace it for free when I bring it in. CRAFTSMAN, baby!)

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

npanne wrote:

Have you got part numbers for the bolts? At that price I can afford to get them shipped to the UK (unless anyone can recommend better?)

Cheers
Neil

I looked back and my memory was apparently fuzzy with all the different hardware i've been ordering recently from McMaster for this and other projects.

Here are the codes. I had to order the in packs of 10 and 25, respectively.

91286A302  Grade 8 Coated Alloy Steel Hex Head Cap Screw 7/16"-20 Thread, 2-1/2" Length, Packs of 10 $5.98  

91286A257  Grade 8 Coated Alloy Steel Hex Head Cap Screw 3/8"-24 Thread, 2-1/2" Length, Packs of 25 $12.37    

My only complaint is that the 3/8" bolts had the non-threaded section just a BIT too long, so I had to use a couple of hardened washers so that they wouldn't stop on the caliper thread before they were tight.

Again, though, I will probably just take the die to them and add some thread.

a bit more today. Front wheels are on so I can use those jackstands elsewhere now :)

Also got one end of the rear spring attached (the other side tomorrow) using the "leverage bar" - mine was made of spare parts around the garage. To weight down the car with no tub on it I piled my Maxima's winter tires/wheels (17x8" and heavy!)

this one is kind of funny: on top of the Maxima's 225/50/17 snow tires is the triumph's original spare tire. TINY!

The engine is in!

This weekend I painted the block, cleaned and painted the oil pan, reinstalled new mounts and a few other things. Seem to be missing my clutch alignment tool so haven't hooked up the clutch/transmission yet.

The old cartridge-style oil filter will be replaced with a spin-on adaptor (with oil cooler lines), so i didn't bother cleaning it up. The head hasn't been cleaned up yet either...I'll do that with it off the block.

oil pan with new hardware

finaly on the car!

the clutch plate has some surface rust, but I'll clean all that up and repaint it before installing the tranny

looks naked without the header/manifold

Good progress.  These really are great cars to work on and a treat to see pics of them being put together.  I think you made a very good move going with new bolts....this makes quite the visual differance.  Looking good.

I have a 72 Mark III Gt6 that I restored about 13 years ago and am interested where you purchased the shocks and the aluminum spacer you have installed between the differential and rear spring. I am located in Virginia, US.

Thanks,
Ken

inject wrote:
I have a 72 Mark III Gt6 that I restored about 13 years ago and am interested where you purchased the shocks and the aluminum spacer you have installed between the differential and rear spring. I am located in Virginia, US.

Thanks,
Ken

ken, as noted by Nick the spacer is from Canley classics. The shocks I got from Rimmer Bros. in UK, but you can probably find a US distributor that sells the spax adjustables without the huge shipping costs!

Where in Virginia are you? I'm in Fairfax area.

I live in Roanoke, my wife had a 73 GT6 that she purchased new in Blacksburg and had it for 5 years, it was the dark blue. I wanted to get a big Healey about 14 years ago and we were at a show in Winston Salem and she saw a GT6 that was for sale. We bought the GT6 and during the restoration I found a better body and chassis as well as other items and now that the car is restored all that is left of the original car is the right door, engine, and transmission. I did purchase a 59 healey, my brother has a body shop in Christiansburg and the Healey has been there for 13 years and I could not get him to touch it, he is more into street rods and muscle cars. I finally got the Healey and am working on it now and playing with the GT6. I have attached a picture, it is painted with a red PPG mixing color called scarlet.

Ken

inject wrote:
I live in Roanoke, my wife had a 73 GT6 that she purchased new in Blacksburg and had it for 5 years, it was the dark blue. I wanted to get a big Healey about 14 years ago and we were at a show in Winston Salem and she saw a GT6 that was for sale. We bought the GT6 and during the restoration I found a better body and chassis as well as other items and now that the car is restored all that is left of the original car is the right door, engine, and transmission. I did purchase a 59 healey, my brother has a body shop in Christiansburg and the Healey has been there for 13 years and I could not get him to touch it, he is more into street rods and muscle cars. I finally got the Healey and am working on it now and playing with the GT6. I have attached a picture, it is painted with a red PPG mixing color called scarlet.

Ken

very nice!

is it just my eyes, or are you running a smaller tire diameter than stock?

The fronts are smaller to prevent rubbing due to their width, they are 185/60/R13 and the rears are 205/60/R13. They have been on the car for about 6 years and I am thinking of going back to an original size that is the same all around or maybe one size wider of the same height.

Having tried 205/13s on the rear of a GT6 (rotoflex) and then gone back to 185 I can verify that the car felt far far better on 185/13s. Much more predicatble back end and able to scare the hell out of a passenger without scaring other road users, too ;-)

Got a good bit done over the last two days with my dad in town visiting. Since he originally bought th GT6 back in 1970, I've been picking his brain on what he did right and what he did wrong (more of the latter) during the 20 years on and off that he drove it.....

Finished up the front caliper rebuilds...new pistons, seals, pins, bolts, rotors and also some larger wheel studs

1" Addco front swaybar (up from the 5/8" bar that was on there before), and Steve Downing's aluminum crank pulley "hub" piece (aka belt-driven cooling fan eliminator). I will be installing an electric cooling fan to get some of my crank power back....and to have some control over the cooling.

Installed the transmission, finally

Took the hood hinges down to metal and repainted/re-hardwared them...I like to call that "JDM" red

Installed the Rimmer rear upper shock mount extensions and rear shocks

Overview pic

OH while the radiator is out:

One of Kas Kastner's books mentions that the rubber inside the harmonic damper on the 6 can deteriorate & cause the timing marks to not line up correctly with the indicator.  

They discovered this problem working with a track car, & their procedure thenceforth was to drill a hole into the damper from the side, so that the accurarcy of the timing marks on the pulley could be checked by sticking a drill bit into the holes to make sure they line up before timing the engine.

Lots of nice tidbits like that in his books, which are worth far more than their cost!