Mark 3 GT6 restoration - here we go!

Rubce

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7952 wrote:
How are you liking the new color now that you've had some time for it to sink in?

Hi

I am used to it as I have been seeing it in that colour down at the workshop since it was sprayed during May. However, my wife (its her car) has not warmed to it yet. She likes the colour but say it doesn't feel like her car anymore. I am sure that will be sorted once she is driving it regularly again.

Regards

Bruce

Hi All

Sorted the rough idling this morning. One of the Carb temperature compensators was sticking. Both are now wound tightly closed and the car is idling lovely. :)

Now to sort out the leaking spin on oil filter adaptor >:(

Regards

Bruce (150 miles under the belt)

8112 wrote:
Bruce, great thread, truly inspiring and full of useful information. I have just taken delivery of my 3rd Gt6, but my first full restoration.
I'm really looking forward to getting back into Triumphs (why did i ever leave) and starting on the rebuild, but I am  apprehensive about welding, ;-) I have really set my heart on doing everything, except the paint myself.  I must say seeing all the hidden rust on your restoration has prepared me (not completely) for some scary surprises. Best of luck. Brett

Buy the best welder you can Lincoln or Snap on, others just make the job harder.

Just read this thread from start to finish. Hats off to you Bruce, for a phenomenal turn-around. I see you're under 40 with a GT6; I'm 38 and looking to buy my first one. Unfortunately I can't weld, can't rebuild engines and have limited time and facilities. Better keep my eyes open for one which is fully together, then!
Inspirational reading. Keep us posted on how it settles back into daily use.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

3957 wrote:
Just read this thread from start to finish. Hats off to you Bruce, for a phenomenal turn-around. I see you're under 40 with a GT6; I'm 38 and looking to buy my first one. Unfortunately I can't weld, can't rebuild engines and have limited time and facilities. Better keep my eyes open for one which is fully together, then!
Inspirational reading. Keep us posted on how it settles back into daily use.  :)

I didn't know a thing about welding or bodywork and very little about mechanics when I bought my GT6. I'm right at 40, and picked up a decent welder about 3 years ago and am getting comfortable with it, and enjoying other non-gt6 projects now. If you don't mind learning new trades, no reason not to buy one in need of resto. (see my rebuild thread at http://www.triumphexp.com/journal/byakk0 if you wanna)

7952 wrote:

I didn't know a thing about welding or bodywork and very little about mechanics when I bought my GT6. I'm right at 40, and picked up a decent welder about 3 years ago and am getting comfortable with it, and enjoying other non-gt6 projects now. If you don't mind learning new trades, no reason not to buy one in need of resto. (see my rebuild thread at http://www.triumphexp.com/journal/byakk0 if you wanna)

I have followed your rebuild on the Triumph Experience website your doing really well keep it up ;)

Thanks Hughbert. I' e had to slow down consiberably this past month not only because of winter, but because life has thrown me another curveball. The baby we were expecting in Febuary came 16 weeks early. She's doing fine, but my time and resources have dropped off once again.

Wow 16 weeks early I am glad she is okay though as to the GT6 I guess like a lot of dads and even more so new dads it will have to take a bit of a back seat short term. That will be difficult but if like me you were in awe of your baby daughter and your good wife for bringing her into the world its not a big sacrifice and you can always say your going to finish to be her car some day  ;)

Better to take your and do good work on the car than rush it and have a unreliable car you may have to rework ;)

Hi All

The insurance company is asking for photos of the GT6 following its resto as I am obviously wanting to increase its agreed valuation. Well with the sun shining yesterday it was time to get the car out of the garage, give it a quick wash and then head off to Crewe Hall. Here are are a few of the photos plus a comparable one from January 2011. For some reason unknown to me the previous colour of Jasmine Yellow always used to appear white in the photos!

A repeat visit with both the Stag and the GT6 needs to be arranged next year

Regards

Bruce