MK3 Spitfire Seat Restoration

jamie31888

Jamie,

Been re-trimming my seats, and noticed inside the original seat cover is a piece of foam lumber support [see photo] which is absent from the new covers. It's easy enough to remove and affix to the new cover. If you don't have the old covers any thin piece of foam will suffice?

Another problem is the new covers don't appear to be as plush as the originals around the front edge of the seat back? Maybe they'll bed-in a bit but they are definitely thinner.

Alex

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Cut the rubberised horse hair material to shape and stuck to the seat back using contact spray adhesive.

Manged to salvage the strips either side from the original material before glueing.

Now to glue the cotton material on, not sure if its man enough??? :-/

The next stage was to remove the lumbar support foam out of the original squab covers and glue them inside the new covers, I used Evostik 528 contact adhesive for this , it worked quite well.

The edge of the foam goes flush with bottom of the ribbed section.

Its then time to slide the covers on, the instructions recommended glueing plastic onto the edges of the seat frame to help slide them on. I tried without this and had no problems at all.

It takes a while to make sure the cover is pulled down evenly making sure its nice and straight.

Starting with the left and right outer most padding i strated to tack the cover to the plywood using 6mm upholstery tacks, whilst doing this i kept the cover under tension by pulling it taught.

The material in the centre gets doubled over before tacking.

After this i turned the seat around and pulled the vinyl down and around the seat frame edge and installed as many clips as i could. Again this was done with someone pulling the covers to keep them taught.

As mentioned previously the covers do not seem as padded as the orignals but certainly look better then before.

Jamie,

I've just done mine-fairly happy with the results, but had a hell of a job stretching the material (white piping) over the back edge of the seat-still doesn't sit perfectly. I did it in the blazing sun we have had over the last week, even used a heat gun to stretch the vinyl. I think the seats were a bit distorted (not that you can tell by just looking) as the covers weren't a perfect fit. Maybe I'm being too fussy?

Have you done the seat bases yet? I ended up persevering with the hog ring pliers, they took a bit of getting used to, I still had to nip most of them up with pliers. I had trouble stretching the material over the back (top) of the seat base onto the wire basket, you can see the hog rings as you look down on the seats. I can't move the base any further back without it popping out of the front. Maybe it will bed in as I use the seats, again it may be down to distortion of the seat frames?

I may have another go at the weekend, they are very comy and look much better now. I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Alex

PS Looking at your photos again, you will be able to get rid of that wrinkle with a bit more stretching of the cover around the back. I did the back first, then the front.

1st base I glued lightly (vinyl adhesive spray) while in position, 2nd one did the proper way, ie turned flaps completely back (inside out)  and lined up foam base onto cover, glued and turned flaps back into position. Funny thing is, I got better results with the 1st one as I was able to do a bit of repositioning before the glue set.

Just go for it, as scary as the setting glue makes it!

Alex

Hi All,

Finally fionished the seats  :)

Applied some spray contact adhesive to the cushion and cover and glued them together making sure the cover was central.

Used some pliers to attach 5 hog rings to the rear of the seat cover &  basket doubling the material over whilst attaching.

Then fitted the seat cushion to the frame and secured with clips.

All in all im pleased with the results.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for your help on this , it took a while but got there in the end.

And the runners are great  8)

If anyone else is looking to recover some mk3/2 seats in the future this thread should help.

In regards to the clips I just copied how the seats where before I took them apart.

4457 wrote:

In regards to the clips I just copied how the seats where before I took them apart.

There's the problem, then. I had one pair of seats plus a single left-hand one. The single one had a different basket and was fixed like yours [see first photo]. I recovered the matching pair, using one of them to copy from [2nd photo]. Although they were definitely from a Mk2, though the two models apparently used the same seats, maybe the production was changed at some point to incorporate smaller baskets and a different way of fixing them? Photo on next message shows the 2 basket types [as mentioned in an earlier message of mine].

Now, where's my anorak????

Alex