GT6 MK2 1969 restoration

Longstrider

A guy restoring a Volvo 240 wanted to fill in his sunroof hole. His had a Webasto in it and he ended up using some sort of epoxy to stick a new panel on. He joggled round the edge of the hole first. Apparently it's quite a common way to repair modern cars where whole panels have to be cut to fit them.
I would be worried about having the overlapping bits of metal if they were welded. Perhaps lead loading the seam after welding it would prevent any corrosion starting. It's amazing how much condensation you get inside the roof of a car.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7952 wrote:
Looking good. I have to do the same to mine before it goes to paint, but I decided to leave the old stuff on until I get to the point of final bodywork and paint just so the good metal underneath remains protected.

It was a consideration, but I need to know what's good and what's bad, will prime it to protect, I'm hoping in a few more weeks everything will be stripped off.;-)

Modern epoxy glues are amazingly strong, we repaired a Emily transit by gluing a lower part of a front wing on

I was sceptical of the reps claims so I tried and failed to break the join just to prove a point

18months on and the overlapping join shows no sign of rust whereas the rest of the van is another story

Kit wasn't cheap but in areas where there is a good reason not to weld and it's not structural I would recommend these bonding agents

Well this weekend i removed the car from the garage allowing me to tidy the working environment and provided the opportunity to take some more detailed Pics.

No further work has been undertaken on the car apart from hoovering all the dust out of it.  I have ordered some more poly disc to continue the strip down to bare metal.  

I have also decided that I will retain the Webasto sun roof, but thanks to all who inputed into how to fill in the hole.

I will be posting some pics detailing the level of welding and that state of the body so far.  However these are rather large images so I mak upload to Flikr and post the links.

cant wait to complete the strip down, but I estimate at least another 4 days on the outside and the underside of the bonnet is another story.

Only managed 3 hours this weekend, but I did remove the rear number plate, and number plate light, rear hatch, rear side vents and the rear windows. I also continued to remove the paint from the rear of the car.  I have also purchased a domain to formally track my progress and upload all my pics. Will be a few weeks before its running.  I still aim to update this thread. :-)

No pics, but the strip down continued today, the rear panel is 90% completed and the rear os wing is 95% stripped. Further investigations reveal that the floor and sills are solid, so it could be that I only need the ns rear wing and the is rear wing repair panels. Another £200, which I could fund through the sale of my floor panel and the sill panels I have.
Also considering the colour originally it was dark blue, then red, now I'm thinking old English white.
Must say really feeling good about the GT6, especially with the progress.

7952 wrote:
Wow John, you've really taken that GT6 down to it's bare nothings. Do you have a rebuild blog or m ore photos/details of your build?

Yes I do have a lot of photos, thousands in fact, of the build many of which are shown in my thread in the Specials section. Obviously this is a bit more radical than most rebuilds because I didn't have a complete shell to start with. I started with sections from three different vehicles which certainly didn't make the job any easier  :)