gt6 mk3  JDE 451L restoration

toolmaker

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one saved. Brilliant :)

Probably going to take more than a couple of weekends to fix it though  ;)  ;D

That's the second Mk 3 GT6 that I've seen getting saved from oblivion in the last couple of months -- the other one was being trailored up the M6 when we were heading home from the classic car show at the NEC on the Saturday afternoon (17 Nov). At least we hoped it was en route to being saved...

hi bill, if you go back and look at the sill pic the one with my feet in it, and blow it up a bit, you will see a nail that had been welded in to male a corner!!.
this body on the car is not origonal to the car, its magenta right enough but the origonal body (heritage cert. and chasis no.) should be pimento red.
i would have said that the corrosion is about the norm for most old cars in the uk that have not been restored.
once you get it all chopped out its not so bad i think.
oh! yes its a swing spring.

hi, well the last pics are an introduction to my car, it was trailered to my house, and pushed into my garage, it stayed there for about nine months while i went over it and checked what i needed and what was missing and what condition the parts i had were in.
i then started to look for and collect the missing parts(many) and bought  the main repair panels i would need.
i didnt want to start it and be stopped looking and waiting for parts.
i think i have at a good guess 95% of it all now, some new some good second hand parts, some better than what i have parts.

i only have an average garage, but i do have an empty loft(not any more) and three sheds at the other side of my house.
i took off doors, tailgate,and made up some dollies with which the car could be moved easily from one side of the garage to the other.
the plan is to do all the drivers side, then push the car over and do the passenger side.

the body was not even bolted to the chasis when i got it, so first job was to buy a body mount kit and bolt it down. then i made up
the door gap tools and clamped them across the gaps.
at this stage the car is on its four wheels albeit sitting up on the dollies.
then i lifted the chasis just so i could get the drivers side wheels off and set axle stands and jacks under the chasis.
next stage was to start the chopping out.
i slit the floor out leaving the inner sills until i got the new floorpan in position.
next pic, new floor pan.

7235 wrote:
a good welder doesnt flinch,doesnt stop just lets it sizzle. ha ha .

I know the feeling! Especially when it's in your ear!  ;D
Like you say, when we have vast experience of welding burns, we just carry on welding, it's no longer "jump up and down screaming" it's just "ooh that was warm" and carry on welding! (at least that's what I do now!  ;D

That's a nice colour, what is your plan for the colour?

Good to see another one being [s]restored[/s] ressurected. Mine was in a similar state when I got it, even down to the Magenta respray, rot and so much bodgy welding..... but then they say it's character building to tackle a job like that and the satisfaction you get when it starts coming together is priceless.

So far I've been working on mine for 2 years and it's almost ready to go on the road again (although that doesn't mean it's finished!). Can't wait.

Looking forward to watching your progress.

Cheers           John

hi sheepy, its going to be pimento red, as in the thread, its not the origonal body for the chasis, presumably the origonal was to far gone and this better one was transplanted.
but the origonal left the factory colour was pimento, so although i like the dark blue, and white, i am going to do it origonal.

i have just been up to northumberland today to trailer back my steel bonnet.
what a nightmare in this wind, had to stop about 5 times to tie back on, as the rope snapped . luckily i had a tow rope too and could use that.

hi,
moving on to the heelboard, this is what i found there. chopped out the heelboard closing panel and the box section behind wasnt much better.
i cut this out and made up a new section. this was the same size as i cut out.
this was initially held with a couple of tacks and made sure it butted up to the b post panel behind the inner sill.
when i was happy with this, i made up a new heelboard closing panel. this will be marked and drilled where the box section flange meets it, and plug welded to that.and obviously the floor etc.
i am in the process of making and fitting all the repairs before welding them all in together.

hi,
the front windscreen drip rail had rotted out at the bottom, i decided to renew the whole piece here.
first pic is the back of the panel where it has been cut off. you have to be carefull here as it would be easy to cut through the windscreen pillar which is in good condition.there is a cable running down here also which must be an earth as it goes to the roof.
its an easy piece to make as its virtually a right angled piece.
second picture is the new section welded in place.
i just pulse welded all the wayup to avoid heat distortion.
behind this new piece fits the actual drip rail.
it rots out because the water gets between the 2 sections and rusts away.
i have here the new piece held by a clamp at the minute, i am un -decided wheather to plug weld it in or
just glue it or self tap so it can be datatchable to clean.

hi, and i wish you all a happy new year.
the bulk head at the front needed repairs. the top part where the wiper motor fits was a bit frilly.
and holed where the sill wraps around, also a poor repair had been done before where the bulkhead meets the floor,
so i cut this out and made up some repair sections.
the top section came out well first go, but the bottom one took a few attemps before i was happy with it.
first pic is of what i cut out under where the wiper motor would fit.
next three pics are the repair made and tack welded in place.
following pic is the repair to the bulkhead/floor piece, this is yet to be welded in.

the bottom of the rear wing needed a repair as there were a few pin holes.
it was fairly straight forward to make up, i know you can buy a repair panel for this but i didnt need to go so far up, and i dont like to spend money then cut a lot out of the repair panel or car.
pics are of the bottom of the wing when cut out, then the repair piece and closing panel. again this closing panel looks simple
but it took about 4 goes to get it right.