gt6 mk3  JDE 451L restoration

toolmaker

Wow those are red calipers! Guess it fits for a pimento car. I'm going Aston Martin Tunsten Silver, ala DB9, so red will look funny on mine. I guess I'll either do them silver or black, as the rest of my suspension is such.
As for my calipers, the pistons are free, at least on one side. I need to check the side shown. I'm hoping my pistons are un-pitted and re-usable. It's been since '96 that I drove it!
~Hazen

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi  byakko, i am no purist, intend fitting peugeot 205 gti aluminium radiator, upgrade wiring to include relays, electric fuel pump and mazda seats,
my seats are goosed so thats the way i am going. the rest of the mechanics to me makes sense as it will improve the car. i guess as an engineer thats what important for me.
the origonal interior is black and the carpets etc are servicable so i will be keeping that colour although i will be using new door cards etc. and the headlining will be new. the mazda seats i have are from a mk1 mx5 and they are black so will look ok. i am hoping to paint the car myself basically to save money, plus its another skill learnt but thats in the distance.
i dont have any intention to sell it.
apart from little things i think my next job is body shell off the chasis for finishing the floor and painting underneath. but i am fighting for space at the minute.

I hear ya on the space. I have to move anything I want to work on out of my garage as it is 1 car, barely 4 feet on each side of the car, and that room is packed with carparts and storage.

Puegeot radiator huh. Is it a direct fit? Any pics?

http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1367750163/s-0/

hi, this is where i got the idea from, again when you look at the % figures the peugeot to me is the way to go.  my concern was that the cooling fans would be at the front interupting airflow, but according to experienced people on here it makes no difference. so i am going that way, already have the rad and fans.

Ian, great work going on,  and loadsa rusty bits cut oot
BUTTT, like others  dooing similar, ye no got into the heater box area.
it rots frae inside t,oot, a sure give away is the mesh is still pristine shape , and inside is coverd in over spray.

have a deek in thea, whilst its no too late

M

Nono, nut inside the car, inside the heater box in the engine bay, under the mesh vents.
another pointer is the seam alang the bottom is buckled.

its awkward to get in ther, cos there a flap covering the heater inlet.
but some good long sharp screw drivers, to scrap the rust off, and some rust killer fluid  will soak in ok,if no cutting oot. before ye paint up.

this may be of help to ye too,  then plenty of stuff to soke yer bits in.
lott cheeper than the wee bottles

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121319370773?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

M

Yip that bit, it rots alang the bottom
but cos most of it is ..inside the box, it cant be seen or felt!!

untill yer carpets start to git wet, :-/

Some serious stuff going on there  you 2,  
having a comp as to woe can put in the most new metal, !!! ;)

M

• 1 year later...

hi all, ages since i have posted, the gt6 is still ongoing but stopped for now as ive ran out of space. i am also going to retire next year and move to a bigger place with space so the resto will continue at that point.
the welding is all done and it will just be the major task of building up and painting and engine sort out ... and gearbox. oh! and diff, and electrics and .... ha ha.
but i am really looking forward to getting on with it. just letting you all know it and me are still here anyway.
ian.