Spitfire Mk3 restoration

1967 MkIII

Evening all

The time has finally come to give Lucy the proper restoration she deserves. I've been meaning to do it for a while, and did part of the mechanicals 2 winters ago, but various bits of life interfered with it, such as having a first baby (a real one, not another Triumph), relocating to Malta, and lastly redundancy.

Although I planned to do much of the work myself, limited time available means I need to hand over some parts and pay for them or face a car that is either rotting away quietly under my feet or a forgotten project in the garage.

I managed to find an old school panel beater who believes in repair rather than replace (a man after my heart). Some time next week i'll take her to be sandblasted and we'll take any repairs from there. So far it doesn't seem too bad apart from a couple of spots, namely the front valance which has rotted away and must be replaced, and the nearside rear wing, more to follow.

Today I just did some light stripping (of the car!) removed the panel in the boot that covers the fuel tank, door cards and the carpet under the seats.

Some pics:

The worst bit in the boot seems to be the foot of the spare wheel mount.

The doors look better than I hoped, especially since every time I close my door some water jumps out of the window channel (yes , in Malta...)

The panel beater was not fazed by the part where the skin has cracked away. I already have a replacement door bought from Cai in Belgium a while ago, but of course would prefer to save the original if I can.

When I bought Lucy in 2010 it was obvious that this wing had seen some bodged up repair (first 2 pics), and to be fair the chap I bought it off warned me about it and was reflected in the price I paid for it.

After attacking the pasted and fibreglassed area with a screwdriver more was revealed. Not too concerned as I've got a replacement panel since I was doubtful the particular curves and angle would ever be faithfully repaired. If the inner arch is gone, the panel beater will just have to form the necessary out of sheet. Out of a cruel sense of curiosity I might ask the sandblaster to do this area just to see how much damage there really is.

I'll be dismantling the dashboard next. I'm wondering whether to replace all wiring or keep what I have. I haven't had any electric problems yet however they will turn 46 years old this year so may be worth doing once I've easy access.

When looking at the parts I dismantle, what am I looking for to gauge general condition?

Thanks

Re replace wiring: Depends on what you are after and condition of your existing loom. Copper wiring gets darker when water gets in, and heat from e.g. engine gets the PVC stiff. You will find out, that you might have to replace all wires passing engine.

As I did my first resto (a mk 3 spitfire), I did repair the existing loom and wanted it all to look original. Bought new wires from here: http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/home/homepage.php

Then after a while, I changed my mind and did build in relays for lights, MJ, extra fuses etc.

If I had to do it today, I would make my own wiring from scratch.

So far the wires look fine but the plastic protecting the connectors is stiff and brittle, several break at a light touch.

i already have a separate relay for the headlamps as i wanted brighter lights, however what else does a spitty need relays for?

i'll be wiring in a radio & speakers, and a fag lighter for GPS use.

All help appreciated as electrickery is not my thing.
Thanks

Basic:
Relays for main/dipped beam...
One for the ignition switch too.
Fuses: Two brown wires (originally connected to same spade connector at the control box used for dynamo) - going to ignition switcy and to light switch. They are without fuses pr. original (free from memory :-)

• 2 weeks later...

So I've now stripped the car almost entirely. All that's left is enough to drive her to the mechanic - steering wheel & pedals.

Plan is to remove the engine at a mechanic (have no lift nor space for it in my garage) then take it to be sodablasted. It's not free but should be worth it as any rust will emerge and can be dealt with.

I've learned a bit more about Lucy as I stripped her. There were confetti under the carpets - remnants of a past wedding getaway? 2 receipts found in the door (how??) but too faded to read anything. Anyway it has sparked my interest so I'm asking whether anyone on here remembers a LCY 420E - Royal blue with black interior & tan hood.

Pics to follow later.

Thanks
Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Time hasn't allowed me to keep this thread updated as I've been recording progress on the facebook page. All the paid work has now been done:
- panel beater replaced rear nearside wing, all wheel arches, boot lower lip.
- sprayer just about completed everything but I'm taking the bonnet back as the underside has reacted and bubbled up
- engine is back in with new clutch kit, refurbed carbs & some ancillaries, hoses, fuel pump...
- lots of £ spent on parts, with my €€'s buying less and less ££ each time :(

Now the car is back to me to be put back together again. Some piccies to follow

Loose parts. The windscreen frame & boot frame were done first back in January. Couldn't do much with them except take photos:

Boot next, February.

Doors, March:

At last I could bolt something back together. Door internals except for glass:

A few bits I did myself with wire brush in a drill, sandpaper & can of spray:

Pedals ready for another 47 years of abuse:

Petrol tank

Front suspension goes on again.

Engine back in place, and I finally drove Lucy again after 17 long months. I managed to mix up the seats so I had the passenger seat on the driver rails, which left me seated pointing out. Imagine a road corner with camber the wrong the way. Well I first gave her a run up and down (on the mechanic's private road), then burn rubber on a curve and almost threw myself out of the car! One second behind the wheel and I'm smiling

Back in my garage at long last

That's all pics for now, more to follow along with questions as I try to put the 6 or 7 boxes of parts back inside her :)