Mk2 restoration

byakk0

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

took off rear panel, and have to cut out all the rotten parts.

where the bumper mounts are, they are crusty so need repairing, also the middle of the boot floor (edge) is messed up so i will place a new section in there.

the reinforcing brackets for the bumper mounts are also crusty and rotten, so i had to make some new ones!

what is the big hole for about 25mmdiameter, In the back verticle edge of the boot floor? (i did not strip the car) can you remember Dirk?  :) look down just from the spare wheel mount.
is it for drainage or a cable etc???

cheers
shaun

4058 wrote:
what is the big hole for about 25mmdiameter, In the back verticle edge of the boot floor? (i did not strip the car) can you remember Dirk?  :) look down just from the spare wheel mount.
is it for drainage or a cable etc???

cheers
shaun

Nothing Messip.... just the drainage hole I would assume.
There used to be a grommet to keep the rainwater in and make sure your luggage is soaked when you park her outside the hotel.

Have a look at the Mk3 next time youre over, i think there is the same hole....

Counting days now...

Dirk

Hi Jason,

Unfortunately I don't have a spot welder, always wanted one! I plug weld them.

Make a hole in the panel then fill it with weld. I have a pair of pliers that punch the holes, so much easier than trying to drill all those little holes, and no panel distortion from using a drill. I will take a picture so you can see them.

Then position the panel, clamp, make adjustments, and weld! Good tip, have lots of clamps!

Cheers
Shaun

this is the hole puch pliers that i use for the plug holes.

you cant quite see on the picture, but i have swaged the edge of the steel with the other side of the pliers, its for lap joint welding, sorry it does not show up so good on the picture.

cheers
shaun

That's a handy tool. When I look back at all the work I have done on my car I can see why it took so long initially. I buckled many years ago and bought a spot welder and I think if I was going to ever restore another Spitfire I'd buy a Plasma cutter just to make life easier. Brilliant work, keep the photos coming.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

fitted the door skin to one of the doors.

bit of tweaking here and there to get it to fit good..

just need to finish welding up some of the bottom edge now.

then will start on other side, we had to get a 1500 style door panel as no one has at moment, mk2 or 3 panels!

cheers
shaun

4058 wrote:
Ok cheers Rob, will let dirk know,

Best to plan it and modify it now, what cables did you use? Mk2/3 1500?

Cheers again
Shaun

It is a simple modification, Me and Neil did it with his a few years ago, took about an hour, you need a MKIV pedal.

As Tim says think about usng a  bicycle gear change or brake cable as they are nylon lined and it smooths the pedal out.

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

well, another update, as its been a while since i put any pictures on.

so, we couldnt get a door skin, (always on back order) so have used a later skin and filled the hole. (steady smithy!)

also i noticed one of the hinges was wobbling about, so stripped it and found the pin broken.