Mk2 restoration

byakk0

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still a patchwork,
when she comes back hopefully not too many holes have appeared,
The nose still needs to be straightened, still debating which way to tackle.
Anyhow, time ran out, the treatment slot was booked.

Also the bootlid was worse than anticipated, so that will need a new one too....

dirk

hi all,
sorry i've not been updating this thread recently, so much work going on, at work, at home etc etc

so anyway the body/chassis is off to the acid dippers now, (hopefully photos to follow) so here are the last photos i took before it went (uploaded again due to site problems)

cheers
shaun

the nose of the bonnet had some previous damage, and was covered by a thick wedge of lead filler.
i removed it all, and although the repair is ugly it is quite solid, so i knocked it out a little and will see what it comes back from the dippers like.

4058 wrote:
Dag Wim,

i know a shot blasters in oudenaarde, then you would have to paint them (that is my next purchase i think, a nice blasting cabinet)

but anywhere near you, im not sure, i will ask at work

cheers
shaun

Hi shaun,

Ok thanks already !  ;) I've bought some revolution's, so they will go on first  :P

Kind regards Wim

• 2 weeks later...

got word back from Pro-strip today, the car is ready for collection, now only to pay the bill before collecting.... >:(

here are a fedw pictures from delivery.
The way it works is that they bake the car first in the "container" to get rid of most of the contamination, clean off the remainer with a HP cleaner and then dip it, it then gets again cleaned and pacified before sending to the paint shop

Shaun and Dirk

Great thread and thank you for doing this.

Am just starting in on the resurrection of a 1968 GT6 MK I.  The detailed pictures and some of the suggestions help a lot.

whereas you were only a few months to get to where you are today, I am budgeting almost 5 years for the work.  My target is to have it ready for his 50th birthday in early 2018.

Cheers

jb