The Restoration of my DHC has started

Beans

Quoted from Rumpith
Wow! Congratulations ...

Quoted from ianb
Woooow!! Fantastic!!! Do these images make me want to own a TR7 again ...

Thx guys, just bear in mind it was quite a lot of work.

Still not completely finished though, some small issues remain or keep popping up.
But she's nearly ready for a final and (hopefully) decent photoshoot ...

And then back to the Alps in early August 🙂

Hi Beans

where in the Alps will you go to? I live in the Bernese Oberland, have been on the Susten, Grimsel, Jaun pass etc. already in my TR7, all in all already 3000 km since I bought it (not much more than 2 months ago). Normally people from NL arrive here in underpowered cars with trailers or motorhomes, are terribly afraid of height and are considered (hardly) moving obstacles 😉

Thomas

No fixed plans for the route yet,
But I am thinking of the border area of Austria, Switzerland and Italy (Kaunertal, Timmelsjoch, Stilfserjoch (aka Stelvio), Gavia, etc ...
But I will probably take my time reaching the Alps through Germany,
and you can always bribe me over to Switzerland for a decent beer 😉 (Splugen and Flu

Hi Beans

> you can always bribe me over to Switzerland for a decent beer
You are very welcome ... the last TR7 I clearly remember to have seen was our neighbour's in the early 80ies. The fact that our neighbour had one probably was the reason I got interested in the one I bought. ... so if you can make it a little bit further West ... (sent you a PM)

Thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if you replaced the water and oil seal during the project or not but when I did mine one of the seals (and I forget which one) was significantly larger than the original. It lifted the internals upwards ever so slightly. This prevented me from getting a proper seal. I ended up needing to put in an extra (4 total) gasket to form a proper seal. Not sure if this will help, but it sorted mine out. Have a great trip. Watching the Tour de France is as close as I get to the Alps.

Will depart for the Alps tomorrow, although not 100% sure the cars OK.
After returning home from a test drive there was a big coolant leak from the water pump.
But after another check it seems to be OK ...

Probably the new seal that needed to seat itself.

She made it round over some 15 Alpine passes including the Timmelsjoch, Jauffen Pass and Stelvio to name a few ...

Covered some 2825 kilometres in 7 days without to many problems.
Only real problem was a water pump that tried to impersonate the Torrey Canyon [B)]
Luckily the oil leak could be controlled by not revving the engine too much, so up hill on the engines torque ...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been a bit quite on this thread, but since this weekend she's running again.
Had a few issues with various leaks, caused by an incorrect O-ring ...

hopefully sorted now ...

Was good to be out in the open again ...

Next job will (hopefully) be a good clean and polish as she collected quite a bit of road grime over the past month.
Despite the problems she covered well over 3000 km in that period.

• 10 months later...