Cyril The Herald (1968 13/60 Restoration)

Cyril_The_Herald

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the comments guys it really helps keep you motivated when your up to your eyes in triumph bits  :)  Anyway I've been making progress on Cyril

As he stands now, Front suspension and engine removed,  Underseal stripped off (horrible job :o) and ready for chassis welding.

I've got a pair of front outriggers, pair of side rails and a pair of cross tube ends ready to go on next weekend.  Away from the chassis I've got another roof!

Mine had a (non original) webasto sunroof that was going to cost more than I payed for the car to repair and was incredibly rusty around the bottom of the back window so I picked up this nearly rust-free one for £10.
Ive also started on the interior with the dashboard.  I was going to re-varnish it but its was so lovely and patinaed that I've just cleaned it.  But the switch panel veneer disintegrated as I took it to bits so I rubbed it down to bear aluminium , polished ad lacquered it.  I've also added a rather cool SAH sticker.

Also I've been kindly given this radiomobile radio that's going to go in the car.

The front suspension rebuilds also underway everything's been painted and polybushed and all trunnions, ball joints bearings etc have been replaced.  Now I'm just waiting for the chassis to be welded then it can all go back on.

On the shock/spring front I haven't been able to find a pair of reasonably priced koni's yet so there's a pair of standard woodhead shocks going on for the time being.  However I have managed to find a pair of triumphtune 'red label' fast road front springs second-hand that I have has to touch up a bit of paint on (Hammarite smooth blues a near perfect match).
New vs Old

Lastly I've got my perfect wheels for Cyril.  They are late spitfire ? 5" wheels.  The seller thought they were 4.5" so I got the set for £10.

P.S. if anyone's got any new or good second-hand herald bits (preferably body panels etc.) for sale in Yorkshire I would definitely be interested!
Cheers Andy

• 9 months later...

I've been doing some more work on the car recently, Got some tyres for my wheels

Went for yokohama blue earths in 175/70/13 in the end

Also got some panels

1x center valence, 2x 1/4 valences and 2x sills.  I got them in herald 948/vitesse spec to get rid of the white bumpers

The rear tubs all been cleaned off underneath (hours with a scraper and wire wheel) and is now ready to get welded up then painted

Luckily its not too bad rust wise (not as bad as the bulkhead anyway)  Its just arches, tread plates and small holes really

(put some green paint on  so the holes show up better)

Also the bulkheads back from being repaired (it was too much for me to do really) Solid floors  :)

windscreen gutters

and tread plates

And ive started to prep it for paint (it just needs its mountings welding on when the body's on to make sure it will fit well)
So when the bulkhead was finished and the body was cleaned off I put the body back on the chassis to make sure it all still lined up (new side rails on the chassis, luckily it did)

Lastly I found a spitfire 1500 boss for my steering wheel so I can use the original horn push but only one of the holes lines up so I will have to make an adapter plate

I'm after a decent running 1300 engine (just to put in the car to get it up and running so I have more time to properly build my engine for it) so if anyone has anything then let us know

Cheers Andy