Threads from the old site

TimW

Hi

Great job in managing to get lots of the old threads back on here. I'm looking for my GT6 EFI build thread but struggling to find it. It would have probably been in 2011 ot early 2012

Any help would be appreciated 

Tim W

33 minutes ago, vitessesteve said:

is this it

Hi Steve

Unfortunately not 

That was a mk2 press car I purchased but ultimately had to sell on due to a multitude of issues personally.

The thread I'm looking for is the one detailing the EFi build I did to my mk3. I still have the mk3 and I've made some improvements to the EFI since its build. I did manage to find it on out recently closed website and posted an update about a year ago but unfortunately that thread had all the pictures missing. 

I don't have any record of the build other than the thread so would like to see it.

7 hours ago, Ben Hutchings said:

Ok I’ll take a look in the morning. I have 112 build threads sat in a holding area 😅

Can you not just move them straight away and get them to do a lateral flow test every fifth Wednesday after Pentecost?

22 hours ago, TimW said:

...but unfortunately that thread had all the pictures missing

@TimW now I've re-read your last message more closely, yes this is a problem and I'm sorry to say I don't think there's a solution. I can only import what's on the latest iteration of the old site, and some threads just have nothing where images should be - as you found. It's not like there's even embed code so they must have been originally added as 'attachments' and then when the forum was migrated from 2 versions ago to 1 version ago, images weren't brought across or somehow got nuked. I will have a REALLY good look, and search through a dump of images that I have as well. Is the Mk3 rebuild in question the MadSprout? If not I need some way to recognise it from images alone so can you please tell the colour and reg? 

Cheers.  

@TimW 😔 Ok I found the thread. It had some corruption in one of the posts that had made the whole thing fail upon import. I've corrected that, but sadly there are no images at all besides 3rd-party things that others have linked to. I've imported it anyway and placed it in Projects as there may be some value to the text content: https://www.clubtriumph.co.uk/forums/topic/9170-efi-gt6/ 

Please excuse the 'quote' formatting (or lack of), and some links to YouTube vids aren't actually 'links'. It's a massive thread so I've not been able to manually fix all that. 

Not given up looking for the images yet, but loosing hope. 2011 in web terms is ancient history! There an imageless copy on the Wayback Machine which doesn't help you much, but interesting to the old-old-forum again: https://web.archive.org/web/20171022080133/http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1321968625/ 

Hi Steve

Yes and I've started from the last page on the engine section and worked back. Ben has been in touch saying he's got several more "build" threads currently sitting in a dormant folder waiting to be uploaded so he's going to check if mine is one of them. It was on the recently closed site but I could only find it with a Google search and it had lost all the pics so fingers crossed Ben will have some luck.

Problem is that the forum has actually been migrated twice since that thread was created and the first time was from the eblah platform, which makes things harder, especially regarding pics.  I know Craig T had many challenges migrating the old Sideways forum from eblah, and that was just one hop. Photos were separated then too, though some have been reassembled since and I think the ability to do others remains if requested.

Thought you had a thread on Sideways too Tim, but it turns out the one I was remembering was Gareth’s…… did find your fuel tank one though. I could use one of them now!

Nick

We’re 100% sure now that any images from the pre-2013 website - that hadn’t already been imported to the previous version by Keith - aren’t in any backups we have so can’t be imported now. 

There’s a very small chance that a backup will be found with them in, and people are looking. I’m sorry about this @TimW and others who’ve lost content.

Trying to find a silver-lining… this shouldn’t be a problem in the future, as the site uses a better supported and straightforward storage method now. 

1 hour ago, Ben Hutchings said:

We’re 100% sure now that any images from the pre-2013 website - that hadn’t already been imported to the previous version by Keith - aren’t in any backups we have so can’t be imported now. 

There’s a very small chance that a backup will be found with them in, and people are looking. I’m sorry about this @TimW and others who’ve lost content.

Trying to find a silver-lining… this shouldn’t be a problem in the future, as the site uses a better supported and straightforward storage method now. 

It is what it is Ben..not a lot that can be done about it if they aren't there...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello webmaster folk,

On the old forum there was a long-lived thread called "Triumph Spitfire/GT6 weight list", which was often cited in other places and something I referred to fairly regularly. I can't find it via the search function.

Could be copied over please? I had intended to scribble down all the info into a spreadsheet, but of course never did. I've got the last known web address for it in my bookmarks if that's any use.

Ta,

Pete