Herald 1360 Restoration

Curtis1360Barry

Hi sorry about the lack of updates for a while time money and space had brought the project to a hault!! but luckily now i have a part time job (as a referee :s) and my dad building me a garage more updates will be coming soon. have finished welding the main chassis rails and outriggers etc just coming up to doing all the suspension and brakes the to move onto the engine  :)
All i can say now is onwards and upwards  ;D
Curtis

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1218 wrote:
Hmmm.  I used to "borrow" my Herald 1200 when it was owned by my Mother.  When my parents went on holiday and I was left in the charge of my sister who was 5 years older and "busy" with her boyfriend, I, aged 14 used to take my mates down the pub in the Herald, get hammered and drive home.

Mind you, it was less illegal then it is now!   ;D

Happy Heralding!

Mark

You did WHAT?  ??)

Charlie and I realised that after a few pints neither of us can actually operate our cars, the combo of sloppy synchro, sticky ignition, having to use a choke and everything else means we normally end up walking (although when it snowed (and I'd had six  :o ) we did manage to get into his car... and he promptly pulled the choke straight out of the dashboard. Gave up, and ended up being given a lift by a passing RAF officer!

A very 50s moment that :)

• 3 months later...

I am doing a herald convertible similar state to yours. Change all the mechanical parts upgrades come when its on the road. Keep an eye out for body parts.
Get it on the road and enjoy it
sometimes a small job makes a big difference i put the steering column in the other day made me everso happy!

Another thought clean the carb it will be fulll of dried crud service kit 30 well worth it

If you want to upgade you can fit the Caterham alloy front hubs with uprated fully sealed bearing for the front, they are about 300 for complete set also think Canley's do them with choice of different stud paterns! The herald bearings weren't really designed for the wider or heavier alloy wheels and people have had problems in the past with them breaking up.

2487 wrote:
I would go Trunnionless in the future. Sticking with single carb would rather put in O/D.
Upgrades i will do , when the car is working.
Fusebox
Electronic Ignition
Electronic fan
Alternator
Uprated lights.

Hmmm then ??

May sound like a stupid question but can you get overdrive for a 1.3 ?

• 2 weeks later...

just experimenting using photobucket as ive never used it before so i apologise in advance if the pictures dont display!!

today i got all my new parts out to give me some insipration as i havent been able to work on the car for a while now and just thought i would share it the picture :)

then i hear a knock on the door and find there was a courier delivering more new parts :)

very quick shipping times werent expecting for a few more days

I'd give the electric fan a miss. The rad n standard fan should be up to the job...see this post on the problems with having removed mechanical fan and added electric... http://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?m-1340779766/

4535 wrote:
I haven't got the standard pressed steel one on I have a orange plastic one which I believe is better? Any truth behind this?

Don;t know anything about plastic fans, but if it's better then why go for electric?

4535 wrote:
Is this what im looking for?
Part number 125482P on James paddock?

You can, and that's the right part number for them. It was the only thing I didn't change over on mine when I did the front suspension.....might add it on to my to do list.....although the rubber ones that came with the new links are looking fine still